997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Install Pics - Brembo 2pc Rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:03 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Install Pics - Brembo 2pc Rotors

After 27,000 miles and 3,500-4,000 track miles I managed to destroy my OEM drilled rotors. It was time for an upgrade and since my car works double duty as my DD and track vehicle it was obvious that drilled rotors were out and slotted was the way to go.

I contacted Dan at VividRacing thinking I was going to go with a traditional slotted rotor and instead he tells me he has these brand new 2pc floating rotors from Brembo. When he showed me the install pics of his front rotors it became hard to say no. Then he told me they would last forever. I was like come on, its a wear item, I track the car, you know that, at some point they'll wear out. But he was persistent. Anyway its Brembo and if there's two places you don't want to skimp its safety and braking, so I bit the bullet and told him to ship them out.

Aside from being slotted they are a McLaren designed floating 2pc rotor. They are also a couple of pounds lighter than the OEM rotors. Coupled with the Champion Motorsport RS171s I got from VividRacing a while back, I probably shed about 5-7lbs per corner (not too shabby).

I don't know if its an optical illusion because they are brand new or what, but they also look larger than the OEM rotors.

I had Precision Motorsports Racing in Califon, NJ put them on and start the bedding in process. I'll be down at VIR for 4 days (as long as work goes well) to really put them through their paces. Got some new Pagid pads as well to swap out the half-worn blacks after the rotors are done bedding.

Got to do a quick lil test run to check out my alignment and also do some hard stops and they certainly feel like they grab well. I actually got a little light headed.

Anyone thinking about rotors should definitely check these out.

Huge thanks to Dan at VividRacing for his great customer support as always.

PS. excuse the dirty car, remember its a DD and white shows every grain of dirt, lol.

Attached Images      
Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Additional pics.

Attached Images     
Old 02-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Part #3. - Done.

Attached Images    
Old 02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Excuse my ignorance, but whats that contraption doing to your wheel??

Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 PM
dwags is just really nicedwags is just really nicedwags is just really nicedwags is just really nice
what porsche shop does not have alignment equipment that fits in the wheel cap holes?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:38 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Congrats, the rotors look great!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks

I swear it feels like it stops better, lol

Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I hope you will report back after your trip to VIR. My front rotors are almost shot, and these rotors will fit my GT3 6 piston calipers. I'm leaning towards buying these but would really like to hear your impressions from the track.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Thanks for the great pics and praise!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Gary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by raiyu
Thanks

I swear it feels like it stops better, lol
That slot pattern was specifically engineered to promote better initial bite and pad release (off brake drag) characteristics.

It's not far fetched to believe you feel an increase in stopping power, and you'll definitely see a noticeable improvement in modulation. Better metallurgy and build quality is what yields the improved lifespan. These discs come directly our of Brembo racing division and are second to none.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 AM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Can you post some pics of the rear wing your running on the car??Just noticed the wing in the pics you posted.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:47 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Originally Posted by gekko
Excuse my ignorance, but whats that contraption doing to your wheel??
getting really really friendly with it!

sorry, i couldn't resist! hahaha

(joking aside, i believe that's one of those universal laser alignment thingies. it attaches to the wheel rim, and the hardware hanging off it at the wheel center has the sensors that read the laser from the main unit (which would be at the front of the car) to get the toe-in, camber readings, etc...)

Old 02-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Illinicane is on a distinguished road
Looks nice. Did he explain how long they would last? Why it would last so long?

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by M3 S3-R
Can you post some pics of the rear wing your running on the car??Just noticed the wing in the pics you posted.
That's a custom made MaShaw GT3RS rear decklid. Hopefully I'll get the car back today, just awaiting the shipment of the powder coated tips from FabSpeed and I'll be able to drive it home. Got a photoshoot scheduled with a friend tomorrow who's a photographer and got a 996 Targa so I'll get some decent exterior shots and post those up (As long as UPS comes by).

Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by Illinicane
Looks nice. Did he explain how long they would last? Why it would last so long?

Thanks!
I'm assuming it would have to do with the steel that was used, I'm certainly not the guy to ask. But I figure I would just run them and do some real world testing on and off the track and see if they last till next year (probably put on another 25,000 miles and 4,000 track miles this year).

In any case after the initial purchase replacement rotors are cheaper because you already have the hats. I'm hoping that these do provide a good extended life so that over the course of ownership you end up saving or breaking even, and in between you get to use the best rotors on the market.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Install Pics - Brembo 2pc Rotors