997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT with PDK and Proper paddles are COMING!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:52 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
The only reason that they didn't put the PDK on the GT3 is because of some track-racing regulations.

What regulations are you referring to?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:16 AM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
In my opinion PDK has nothing to do with a sequential like BMW or Ferrari not even close,I tested 2 times PDK at the track and it is far from the mentioned sequentials.
Also those switches are really weird to use,Porsche needs to do something about this asap!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:18 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
Luis, I was also told it will come with the 'normal' paddles instead of clicks. If they don't there is always FVD wheels with the paddles... I know its not factory optioned, but the fun of a Porsche is modding it...

Old 06-14-2009, 10:28 AM
lintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by luiscarlos
In my opinion PDK has nothing to do with a sequential like BMW or Ferrari not even close,I tested 2 times PDK at the track and it is far from the mentioned sequentials.
Also those switches are really weird to use,Porsche needs to do something about this asap!
Thats unbelieveable..Dual clutch tech is the future tech for transmission..Bmw already dumped SMG and use DCT for the newest models.Also I heard the next gen of F430 (F450 2010 mightly) will also use dual clutch trans instead of F1.

Just image the nissan GT-R's secret weapon..It is the DSG gearbox..Fast changing gear than sequential for sure,just need time to imporve the quality and handle more power.Same with PDK.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:35 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
PDK=crutch, nothing beats a 6 speed manual, jmo of course.
I have tried one, no thank you, I don't like automatics in any format.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
Two different worlds...

In response to everyone. PDK is the newest and best technology out there.
Ferrari and BMW are all moving to Dual Clutch (which is not an automatic).
Just like SMG or F1 is not an automatic (They used servos to clutch). With that being stated, SMG and F1 in BMW and Ferrari "FELT" more sporting because it was not as smooth. I do miss my SMG M3 because in harsh driving it actually "slammed" into gear, which I did love. Because the "Dual Clutch" boxes are so incredibly smooth, they do take some of the "snap" out of the shifting, BUT, they do work. Its funny that this thread began as an announcement and turned into a PDK vs. Manual Debate. Those who love manual should rejoice (I love it too). It won't be gone for quite some time. Instead it will be an option. Manual and Dual Clutch are just different ways of shifting. Call it what you want, Automatic.....Yes, it has an automatic mode.
Call it a crutch?...I suppose if you don't know how to drive manual and "need" an automatic? I can drive both very well, but I am currently using the PDK and it is great....Certainly not a crutch for me.
D
To put it one step further... The only "fair racing" would be if everyone had the same cars or at least same horsepower and same transmission. Mastering shifting a manual car does not make a "race car driver" out of anyone. This is proven when watching a true driver take a lower horsepower car and lap people who are inexperienced. If PDK was used on a track with manual drivers...you could call it a crutch...or you could call the manuals a handicap...

Last edited by Porsche119; 06-14-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: adding
Old 06-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Porsche119
In response to everyone. PDK is the newest and best technology out there.
Ferrari and BMW are all moving to Dual Clutch (which is not an automatic).
Just like SMG or F1 is not an automatic (They used servos to clutch). With that being stated, SMG and F1 in BMW and Ferrari "FELT" more sporting because it was not as smooth. I do miss my SMG M3 because in harsh driving it actually "slammed" into gear, which I did love. Because the "Dual Clutch" boxes are so incredibly smooth, they do take some of the "snap" out of the shifting, BUT, they do work.
I think that it is all about the dual clutch hype, and no one wants to move opposite to the market tendency. BMW SMG is actually better than the DTC because is as fast, as smooth - there is two factors: RPM (lower rpm more smooth engagement than higher rpm) and 6 engagement programs (S1 smoothest - S6 quickest and brut like a manual gearbox) - cheapest maintanence and more simple (same clutch and flywheel than manual) and therefore its strenght and limit is compared to a manual gearbox. There are some +750rwhp M3 with SMG running without any issues. The only downside of the SMG is that is sucks in automatic mode but who drives this car in auto mode is like buying a GT3 for a DD in the city jam. IMHO, the sequential gearboxes like SMG is a more reasonable choice than the dual clutch gearboxes that needs alot more R&D for the mass car production. I have several cars included a E46 M3 and 997TT, and drove a M6, E92 M3, several audi's with DSG and 997's with PDK. From the dual clutch gearboxers the porsche system was the worst. I wonder if they asked to Walter Rohrl his feedback about it???

Last edited by Tiago; 06-15-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:33 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tiago
IMHO, the sequential gearboxes like SMG is a more reasonable choice than the dual clutch gearboxes that needs alot more R&D for the mass car production.
Why more R&D? are there known problems with the PDK? I've been told it's even more economical as well, there is even less clutch wear and in Auto mode its smooth.

Most of the problems, I hear about the reliability of double clutch is the that it isn't strong enough in cars like the GTR. But the 997Turbo is not made by Nissan and the Carrera's with PDK aren't breaking, am expecting the same when Porsche decides to put it into a Turbo.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
PDK is NOT breaking at all. It is incredible.
It does not have as many (11 settings) as SMG, but it is nonetheless incredible. It is incredibly responsive and much more smooth then SMG.
Of course over time they will make it even more incredible...as they do with everything. Manuals have changed over time, SMG has evolved over time (3 variations), Ferrari's F1 has changed over time...and now they all use Dual Clutch (Ferrari California and the new F450), And of course the new 2010 911 Turbo DFI.

Ironically, I was just told today that DFI and PDK are a "GO" in the new Turbo which should surface sometime in December, but may not make allocations here for the year of 09 as sales in general for North America are down 30%.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Porsche119
I was just told today that DFI and PDK are a "GO" in the new Turbo which should surface sometime in December
As i usually say, must see to believe. Till there SMG gearboxes will be a better option for me. I hope Porsche already figured out how to hold higher torque levels with the PDK because it will be a blast in the turbo and will destroy totally the direct competition. I also hope that this time they get rid of the stupid buttons on the steering wheel and change the stick sequential commands to pushing forward for downshifts and to pulling backwards for upshifts.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Thank the car gods that manuals still exist, I am smooth and fast

The PDK is great, but it's still clunky.
SMG is the worst of them all, my neck still hurts from driving them a couple years ago
People buying Ferrari's with F1's just amaze me, and I thank them for the discount on used manuals, really thank you!
Lambo's Egear, yeah my mom loves it!
Nissan's nightmare, have they woken up yet? I guess not, because I have seen (3) GTR's in Chicago and I am out looking for them!

All this talk about what your left leg is doing, reminds me that driving is something that should be practiced, taught, learned and practiced some more. Using a clutch, learning to shift are skills that every driver should have under his/her belt, its fun, keeps you involved and makes you a better driver.

I am going to take my loaner A4 2.0 turbo with an auto and do a neutral drop on the way to lunch, that is what autos are for!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 AM
lintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JZRS4
Thank the car gods that manuals still exist, I am smooth and fast

The PDK is great, but it's still clunky.
SMG is the worst of them all, my neck still hurts from driving them a couple years ago
People buying Ferrari's with F1's just amaze me, and I thank them for the discount on used manuals, really thank you!
Lambo's Egear, yeah my mom loves it!
Nissan's nightmare, have they woken up yet? I guess not, because I have seen (3) GTR's in Chicago and I am out looking for them!

All this talk about what your left leg is doing, reminds me that driving is something that should be practiced, taught, learned and practiced some more. Using a clutch, learning to shift are skills that every driver should have under his/her belt, its fun, keeps you involved and makes you a better driver.

I am going to take my loaner A4 2.0 turbo with an auto and do a neutral drop on the way to lunch, that is what autos are for!
+1

I hate SMG...Slow and bumpy!!

Lambo e-gear and ferrari F1 are much better than SMG.but still not as quick as DSG or PDK.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:00 AM
996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of
I drive a 996TT and I have no plans to upgrade so it's really none of my business but I just came back from a driving school event run by Mathey racing, and the instructor happens to be a test driver for the new 997TT with PDK. He mentioned that it's "supposed" to be released next year and it has 530hp, and how much fun he had doing 370km/h on autobahn ...

Old 06-20-2009, 06:20 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996Choy
I drive a 996TT and I have no plans to upgrade so it's really none of my business but I just came back from a driving school event run by Mathey racing, and the instructor happens to be a test driver for the new 997TT with PDK. He mentioned that it's "supposed" to be released next year and it has 530hp, and how much fun he had doing 370km/h on autobahn ...
Are you sure he was not driving a Veyron

Old 06-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by milou
Are you sure he was not driving a Veyron
Thats 230 Miles/Hour! Seems too good to be true tho...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997TT with PDK and Proper paddles are COMING!!