997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT with PDK and Proper paddles are COMING!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 08:37 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by meaker
My guess too, is that it weigh twice as much then anyone would want in a TT..
The PDK is lighter than a Tiptronic (Automatic), and combined with the weight loss from going DFI and losing the GT1 block, it could actually be lighter than a manual 997.1 Turbo. But the 997.2 manual TT could be pretty light!

Originally Posted by milou
The 997.2 turbo is coming, i was told from my Porsche dealer that they will have it this year October-November. This model will be well above 500hp, convertible and turbo S will be available summer 2010. Yes the new turbo gets the PDK.

The only reason that they didn't put the PDK on the GT3 is because of some track-racing regulations. I believe GT3 and GT2 will still be manual in the future.
You are correct, but not completely. It does have to do with racing, but the problem is that the PDK doesn't work well with the GT1 block. And the GT1 block is needed for racing as Porsche has no other alternative for the RSR's.

The Turbo and GT2 can move on because you don't need the GT1 block to produce the same power in those cars, and reliably. The GT1 blocks successor in the GT3 will have to be something special because it's Naturally Aspirated.

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
PDK=crutch, nothing beats a 6 speed manual, jmo of course.
I have tried one, no thank you, I don't like automatics in any format.
I agree, no paddles, no electronics, all driver control.

Originally Posted by SRatha
Why more R&D? are there known problems with the PDK? I've been told it's even more economical as well, there is even less clutch wear and in Auto mode its smooth.

Most of the problems, I hear about the reliability of double clutch is the that it isn't strong enough in cars like the GTR. But the 997Turbo is not made by Nissan and the Carrera's with PDK aren't breaking, am expecting the same when Porsche decides to put it into a Turbo.
The PDK will be fine, and better than Nissan's unit. But has require much more R&D during developement to prevent the debacle that Nissan had. In fact most of the DSG type transmissions have had some sort of problem (BMW, Mitsu, etc.) It's going in the ginormous Panamera which will have a turbo version as well, so it can handle the TT.

The question is the maintenance.

Originally Posted by lintc0532
+1

I hate SMG...Slow and bumpy!!

Lambo e-gear and ferrari F1 are much better than SMG.but still not as quick as DSG or PDK.
+1 SMG isn't what it's cracked up to be. Not smooth at all, and I'd bet despite what they advertise that I can shift faster in a manual.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:07 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SoCalCFP
Porsche Vietnam? I bet Ho Chi Minh is rolliing over in his grave.
Right on the money! lol Mr Ho Chi Minh is safe in his grave!

Old 08-08-2009, 05:10 PM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Ho Chi Minh loved fast sports cars. Read your history books toddlers...