997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

exhaust or ECU first?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 PM
joecmess is an unknown quantity at this point
exhaust or ECU first?

If you can't do both at once, which should be done first: exhaust or ECU?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2009, 12:37 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hmm tough question.... If you absolutely "hate" the sound of a stock exhaust then that's the way to go. In order to get the best out of an ECU mod it's certainly preferable to get an exhaust to get rid of some back pressure. But if you're ok with the stock exhaust and just want some more power the ECU is your first port of call.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Tiger is on a distinguished road
Well said Alex. Joecmess, it also depends on your situation. im my case for example, i cannot do the exhausts (for now) otherwise the dealer will cancel my warranty. So the ECU is the best thing for me, since i can change the Program setting back to stock prior to taking it to the dealer. also in terms of power. i think the ECU will give u more power than exhausts. so i say ECU. Best of luck in your decision

Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM
W1N
W1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the rough
BOTH! hands down!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't mind the sound of the stock exhuast other than its quiet. I am looking for some power gains and lag reduction.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:47 PM
quikag is on a distinguished road
Why would exhaust void the warranty? I would think the ECU mod would be more likely to void factory warranty?

Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
i would do the exhaust first, you will be happy for the small bump in power (20hp) and the pant dyno will be happy too with the sound, after somme weeks you will be ready for the big jump in power caused by ecu flash and the exhaust will add this for the reducedd backpressure.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:50 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
exhaust first then tune. but both at the same time will blow you away.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Exhaust with high flow cats will decrease backpressure and significantly reduce lag. OEM cats have 600 cells per square inch (CPSI.) Most low flow cats are 200 or 300 cell units. 100 cell units are best, but require ECU reprogramming to prevent CEL warnings.

If you want to reduce lag, a good exhaust works helps a lot. Not to mention, decreased EGT (exhaust gas temperatures) which is always good especially if you reprogram your ECU in the future.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
if you want improved sound quality, then the exhaust is a must. if power is more important, then you should go with the ecu first. however, getting both is ideal if you can swing it.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:27 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Hey Joe! Long time no speak.
This is hysterical...I just went through the same mental process! I today ordered PSS10s and GAIC flash! I'll be doing exhaust next. Why don't you get the exhaust and then we can check out one another's cars for comparison? Sounds fun to me!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Warranty

Speaking from personal experience a new exhaust system and or an ECU reflash will void your warranty with most but not all dealers. If the dealer wants to check carefully, they can tell your ECU has been reflashed. This may just be me, but if you start modifications you know (or should) your warranty is mostly if not all toast. If not sure, talk with your dealer in advance. No disrespect intended, but why lie? If you really want to blow your mind, read the warranty that comes with the car! No mods, no tracking, etc.
Anyway, I did new exhaust (immediately), then suspension, and then ECU - different strokes for different folks and it's all good.
K.
P.S. Warranty and mods is an old topic (do search).

Old 06-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by raclaims
Hey Joe! Long time no speak.
This is hysterical...I just went through the same mental process! I today ordered PSS10s and GAIC flash! I'll be doing exhaust next. Why don't you get the exhaust and then we can check out one another's cars for comparison? Sounds fun to me!
Justin, you are a mind reader: My ultimate goal is:

Bilstein PSS10 damptronics with ride height lowered 1 inch
Exhaust - AWE, Fabspeed, Cargraphic - which one??????
Giac Ecu flash

and then track, track track

I either wait until I can swing all, or start with one mod at a time. Who is doing the install? When are the meets?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
We are on the same page Joe!
I spoke to a few vendors...some of which are highly recommended here...but in the end went with Alan at Jack Daniels again.
I'm sure there will be another meet soon.

I'm also struggling with which exhaust to get as well...JDs is having a motorsports day in a week or so...why don't we meet there? Alan said that all the mods you would ever want to see will be there to check out.

So I guess you bought the car out at lease termination??

Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kafka997
Speaking from personal experience a new exhaust system and or an ECU reflash will void your warranty with most but not all dealers. If the dealer wants to check carefully, they can tell your ECU has been reflashed. This may just be me, but if you start modifications you know (or should) your warranty is mostly if not all toast. If not sure, talk with your dealer in advance. No disrespect intended, but why lie? If you really want to blow your mind, read the warranty that comes with the car! No mods, no tracking, etc.
Anyway, I did new exhaust (immediately), then suspension, and then ECU - different strokes for different folks and it's all good.
K.
P.S. Warranty and mods is an old topic (do search).
This is a very good post +1. Yes for the most part we know these motors are strong so the risks are minimal but I also think that lying to your service advisor is not really getting off on the right foot. Being up front is always best. A good SA will work with you and they'll fix what can be fixed under warranty. Most of these guys aren't dumb and know they can't necessarily attribute something that's broken to a mod etc... They'd have to prove it. They also know that a lot of us want to tweak and play around with these cars

So yes to get the most "power" from the get go.. the ECU is the right first mod. Only thing is that I don't believe in having the same one file for all cars/situations. So if you have a stock exhaust make sure your software is set up for those hardware parameters. If you upgrade to an exhaust at a later date then make sure you get your ECU/software updated... That's the only drawback of doing the exhaust at a later date... That and the extra $. Keep your eyes open etc... I've seen a good few used exhausts out there for cheap too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: exhaust or ECU first?