997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Thinking about trading the 997TT for R8...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:05 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Thinking about trading the 997TT for R8...

I've always loved the R8 looks since it was first released but really haven't contemplate purchasing one until the price fell below $100k. My only real issue/concern is the lack of power in the R8 vs. the Turbo. I don't really know if I can live with driving a slower car if you know what I mean. All the cars I've owned have always been faster than the one before it and something about going from a faster car to a slower car just feels like a downgrade to me. If anyone has had the privilege of driving both cars please provide me with some insight on the overall performance of the R8. If watched all the youtube videos comparing the R8 to the 997's and it doesn't seem if the R8 can even handle the 997s in the straightway so am I just asking for some major disappointment going to the R8...?

Old 07-14-2009, 04:43 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
R8 looks bad *** but you can't beat a modded turbo for power and speed!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:47 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by C4SxM5
I've always loved the R8 looks since it was first released but really haven't contemplate purchasing one until the price fell below $100k. My only real issue/concern is the lack of power in the R8 vs. the Turbo. I don't really know if I can live with driving a slower car if you know what I mean. All the cars I've owned have always been faster than the one before it and something about going from a faster car to a slower car just feels like a downgrade to me. If anyone has had the privilege of driving both cars please provide me with some insight on the overall performance of the R8. If watched all the youtube videos comparing the R8 to the 997's and it doesn't seem if the R8 can even handle the 997s in the straightway so am I just asking for some major disappointment going to the R8...?
I was in the same boat when I thought about trading in my car for an R8. I decided for some engine and suspension mods with Ruf instead.

The R8 4.2 is profoundly underpowered. It is a beautiful car. Well designed. Very balanced. Understated WOW factor. Both the R tronic and manual transmission are very entertaining transmissions. However, there its acceleration is sub par. In a straight line, its acceleration is slower than nearly every competitor from the standard C6 vette to the GT-R. And while I am not a drag or street racer, I expect a supercar to feel super when you mash on the accelerator. The R8 fails in this regard.

Last edited by bbywu; 07-14-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:55 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
I would only consider the V-10 when it comes out this fall. The current version will leave you wanting for more power after the cool factor wears off.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Bigrigger has a spectacular aura aboutBigrigger has a spectacular aura about
If you got money to burn there is another option.

560hp supercharged R8 4.2L

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-08...percharger.htm

Old 07-14-2009, 06:39 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
I'm not sure I agree that the 4.2L R8 is underpowered. I've spent a ton of time on various tracks with a good buddy who has one in both black and instructor groups. R8 in V8 guise is superbly well balanced and the power is wholly usable. My suspension-modified 997TT and it are both pretty equally matched. I can outpace it on long straights and uphill (eg, heel of the boot at WGI) but beyond that they are pretty equal IMO. He runs CCW track wheels with R888s I seem to recall. Also I'd add that out of the box the R8 sounds better than an OEM 997TT and certainly turns more heads unless you're getting a yellow TT. Net net, you can't go wrong with either. One note - the R8 isn't really "mod-able" except for exhaust and there isn't a neat and easy way to put harnesses in it.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:02 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brownan
I'm not sure I agree that the 4.2L R8 is underpowered. I've spent a ton of time on various tracks with a good buddy who has one in both black and instructor groups. R8 in V8 guise is superbly well balanced and the power is wholly usable. My suspension-modified 997TT and it are both pretty equally matched. I can outpace it on long straights and uphill (eg, heel of the boot at WGI) but beyond that they are pretty equal IMO. He runs CCW track wheels with R888s I seem to recall. Also I'd add that out of the box the R8 sounds better than an OEM 997TT and certainly turns more heads unless you're getting a yellow TT. Net net, you can't go wrong with either. One note - the R8 isn't really "mod-able" except for exhaust and there isn't a neat and easy way to put harnesses in it.
I believe my reference to the 4.2L FSI V8 being "underpowered" is still correct. I'm speaking specifically about engine power. Put it up against a standard C6 Vette, and you will find that it is matched on the straights. While the R8 handles exceptionally well on the track, most of us are using our cars as daily drivers...freeway, side streets, main streets...the R8 is underpowered for everyday straightaway use. There is no comparison to the 997TT. In terms of overall engine power, they aren't even in the same zip code.

The R8's advantage comes from very balanced handling and superb driver confidence on the track. It makes up for a deficit in engine power with finesse and refined handling. In this regard, I completely agree with you.

Last edited by bbywu; 07-14-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:47 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Great debate; to the OP why not look at a Gallardo, better looks and performance then an R8... And for me, a lot of people are suggesting to look at an R8, but I for me: power and handling > looks.

997tt is soo perfect.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 PM
AceRothstein415 is on a distinguished road
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-sc-dynod.html

any R8 power concerns are addressed in the above thread
both are great cars, personally, if I could only have one, 997TT for sure.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
R8 is a great car, just a little too much for a DD, that's where the TT can blend in under the radar. Sometimes you don't want a lot of attention.
I was on the track with one last yr at WGI, they are damn fast with a good driver.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:30 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
don't do it.

the 997 is a real-world car for daily duty. the R8 sounds really cool but in terms of tolerance for abuse and solid platform, it doesn't outperform the superbeetle. no need for more power with either car but truth be told, the superbeetle, when chipped, will be far more powerful that the R8 and again, just hard to beat. take a 997 for 2000+ miles of freeway and city driving, etc... up and down the west coast. these are perhaps the PERFECT cars, even "ideal" relative to anything else you could hope to buy or own for the money.

you go

Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
The R8 is no match for the Turbo, I drive an RS4 as my DD.
Its pretty, but have you ever driven one with traction off?
I have the first V10 on order and i will flip it, too bad they refuse to offer us those turbo's!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
dblock110 is on a distinguished road
yeah for a regular car, the TT is def a sleeper. the r8, people will look at it a different way. depends what you want.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:25 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Any one I have ever spoken to about the R8 have only been interested in it for it's looks. Not one person has said they were blown away by the performance.

IMHO the looks are not that appealing and I believe will become "dated" while the 997 is a classic look.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Great on the track but your going to miss the torque on the street. Its a looker though, I give it that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading the 997TT for R8...