997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Switzer or AWETuning?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:53 AM
JayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of light
Switzer or AWETuning?

I got a 07 997TT (6-Speed). I'm in between the Switzer and AWE for their 750HP Package. What are the pros and cons for both tuners? Any opinions or facts would be nice. Any experienced people?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Former Vendor
Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !
Jay, the best advice I can give you is stick with someone who is local. On my personal turbo, I've had several kits on my car. I won't get into my experience though. In some cases problems may arise after you take delivery, and at that point it's not always easy getting things sorted out by a distant shop.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:40 AM
JayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Thomas@bbiautosport
Jay, the best advice I can give you is stick with someone who is local. On my personal turbo, I've had several kits on my car. I won't get into my experience though. In some cases problems may arise after you take delivery, and at that point it's not always easy getting things sorted out by a distant shop.
Thank you for your tip. I really think so, too... But the real problem is that there are only those TWO places people say it's the best around. Or is there any local Tuner Shop around our area (SoCal)?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:56 AM
Nico will become famous soon enoughNico will become famous soon enough
closest tuner shop that has some big hp kits i can think of right now is evolution motorsports (arizona)

Old 07-22-2009, 03:20 AM
Kuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to behold
EVO is great, but many have critised the customer/support services. Honestly that's mainly the problem with most tuners, unless your in the same state your never 100% happy. Imagine us 1000's of miles away

Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JayTurbo
I got a 07 997TT (6-Speed). I'm in between the Switzer and AWE for their 750HP Package. What are the pros and cons for both tuners? Any opinions or facts would be nice. Any experienced people?
JayTurbo,

Don't let the distance be an issue for you. We have simplified this process tremendously. It's no more of a hassle then getting your oil changed.

Since you are in Irvine, this is what I would do.

1. Email me a link of the current mods done to your car. I would like to assess what you have and make sure there are no compatibility issues.

2. I then refer you to our SoCal tuning partner.

3. You leave your car with them. While there they remove your turbos and I send special hard cases for them to put your turbos in for the trip here.

4. While the turbos are on the way here and being modified, I send them the remainder of the parts for the kit. Those are then installed. These are all simple bolt on parts and require no special fabrication to get them in.

5. The same shop I have in mind is also a G.I.A.C. dealer and can flash the car on site. No need to even send your computer to us!

6. Once turbos are finished, I send them back to your shop for installation.

7. Break in your clutch... If you have a Tip, skip this step.

8. Go out and blow the doors off every Lambo and Ferrari that pulls up next to you in the State of California.

It's that simple. I hope this eases some of your fears.

I can be reached via email at Mike@AWE-Tuning.com. Let me know if you have further questions, or would like to proceed.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Kuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to behold
Damn Mike, i think i'm gonna move to Irvine now!

Great job, i know who i'm calling when i need more mods.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:31 AM
997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all
I'm too way from the US, and i'm very happy with protomotive.
Todd always take care of me.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:31 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like you need to talk to Alex at Sharkwerks.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:47 AM
In all honesty, so far working with Dan from Vivid has been one of the best experiences, he's decent, honest and a straight shooter. I just wish i can be where the tuners are because unfot. here in Kuwait and in the MID-EAST generally (ex- Dubai) we lack good talent when it comes to cars.

Not to mention the '****' dealers that refuse to even see your car if you have any mods on it.

I have heard good things about Todd as well he helped a buddy of mine turn a 996 GT2 into a serious beast.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:54 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
JayTurbo,

Don't let the distance be an issue for you. We have simplified this process tremendously. It's no more of a hassle then getting your oil changed.

Since you are in Irvine, this is what I would do.

1. Email me a link of the current mods done to your car. I would like to assess what you have and make sure there are no compatibility issues.

2. I then refer you to our SoCal tuning partner.

3. You leave your car with them. While there they remove your turbos and I send special hard cases for them to put your turbos in for the trip here.

4. While the turbos are on the way here and being modified, I send them the remainder of the parts for the kit. Those are then installed. These are all simple bolt on parts and require no special fabrication to get them in.

5. The same shop I have in mind is also a G.I.A.C. dealer and can flash the car on site. No need to even send your computer to us!

6. Once turbos are finished, I send them back to your shop for installation.

7. Break in your clutch... If you have a Tip, skip this step.

8. Go out and blow the doors off every Lambo and Ferrari that pulls up next to you in the State of California.

It's that simple. I hope this eases some of your fears.

I can be reached via email at Mike@AWE-Tuning.com. Let me know if you have further questions, or would like to proceed.
Hi Mike. Can you elaborate on Step 7?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Hi Mike. Can you elaborate on Step 7?
D,

When you go to the 700/750 power level, we highly recommend you put in a new clutch. If you do so, we recommend about 150-200 miles worth of stop and go driving to break it in.

Getting in the power too early on a new clutch can cause it to slip. If it slips, you glaze it. If you glaze it, you are screwed....

Let me know if that answers your question.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
D,

When you go to the 700/750 power level, we highly recommend you put in a new clutch. If you do so, we recommend about 150-200 miles worth of stop and go driving to break it in.

Getting in the power too early on a new clutch can cause it to slip. If it slips, you glaze it. If you glaze it, you are screwed....

Let me know if that answers your question.
Yup, thanks!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:46 AM
OK.... So,... You are saying you are a Tuner shop as well and you can do that job. But for how much? I already got a quote from Switzer for $17,000 including the Sachs Racing clutch and all labor (OUT THE DOOR). It's the same exact package AWE is advertising for $22,000 on their website. Can you do lower or even match the price for the 775HP job?

Also, if you have a shop demo (or customer's car that's OK to demo), can you show and give me a ride in it?

Last edited by JayTurbo; 07-22-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
That's a good deal for 17k with the switzer. Check out the Ruf conversion as well if you're in that price range.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switzer or AWETuning?