997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Who has the stiffest rear adjustable sway bar?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga

My thought remains the same: In general, to reduce the inherent understeer in the AWD 997 Turbo, you would like to soften up the front bar and stiffen the rear bar, relatively
That's exactly right. I hope so or else a lot of us have been ice-skating up a hill for many years

Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 AM
drvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the rough
I'm going to reopen this thread and throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

Here is a quote from Harry @ TPC Racing

When you put a soft front sway bar in the front and a stiff sway bar in the rear, the car will handle poorly and want to spin. It can be dangerous. I have driven several cars set up like this and they are dangerous to drive. Any car you see on track has a stiffer front bar than rear. Our bars are race winning and proven bars and we have seen them decrease lap times by over 5 seconds per lap over stock.
Now, maybe I am behind with my reading but from the research I have done so far, I was under the impression that the rear had to be firmer than the front?? Unless of course, people are making presumptions that the hole positions are relative to the two bars having an identical base stiffness.... So maybe the "soft" setting on the front bar is actually much harder than the hardest setting on the rear.

Interestingly, Harry's information validates the figures posted by VividRacing!

I imagine, unless someone systematically compares front and rear bar combos from a couple of manufacturers, we may not know if the front bar is supposed to be softer or harder. So much "mystery" in the AM world!

Old 08-18-2014, 03:30 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I think even Harry would acknowledge that setup goes beyond just sway bars. I bet you I could set the same car he is talking about up to understeer like a pig. More weight in the back will require more stiffness to balance. I doubt the sways are equal to begin with. I have driven an undoubtedly stiffer h&r rear with stock front in AWD and RWD and felt nothing of the sort. Of course mine is 996.

Just my opinion though.