997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo in the Winter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 PM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
i bought a new set of pirelli's off of fellow member philly997tt...great deal...should be awesome!!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
There's winter...and then there is WINTER.

My sister in Seattle complains when the temperature falls to 35. 35's a heat wave in Wisconsin.

If you use common sense, the 997TT is a fantastic winter car. If the snow is deep, and your suspension is lowered, and the street isn't plowed, AWD won't save you when your front radiator is caked with snow in the first 50 feet. Likewise, no snow tire is going to save you if you try and defeat the laws of physics when you drive...you still have an engine in the rear and the car will spin if you make it.

I used my 996TT and now 997TT in winter all the time. It's fun to drive, as long as you use common sense.

thats what i figured...has to be better than my e60 m5 with snows...

Old 09-25-2009, 06:18 PM
hedgehog17 is just really nicehedgehog17 is just really nicehedgehog17 is just really nicehedgehog17 is just really nicehedgehog17 is just really nice
Smile

Originally Posted by handdoc
Hey guys

I will be getting my TT next week as a DD, winter included

getting a dedicated set of snows, looking forward to an AWD car in winter again

how many of you use your TT in the winter with snows...experiences?

handdoc
Mine just doing fine. dont forget to set up winter tyres and set traction management system to the new settings. it is really fun to drive AWD in winter but don't get caught by it - although you will get advantage of AWD and the power, the breaking force is significantly lower! dont forget about this!

Old 09-26-2009, 04:59 AM
Russellnyc is on a distinguished road
Hey, what do you mean when you recommend setting ptm for snow? Do you mean tire pressures, or is there actually another winter-specific setting?

Old 09-26-2009, 09:24 AM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
There is a setting: PTM/Set/Summer or Winter Tires. Probably all it does is tells the system that a wider range of pressures is OK in winter and no need to go nuts as if all of them went flat.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by AlexM
There is a setting: PTM/Set/Summer or Winter Tires. Probably all it does is tells the system that a wider range of pressures is OK in winter and no need to go nuts as if all of them went flat.
i believe you are right...just makes it so the thing understands the temp ranges

Old 09-28-2009, 03:09 AM
hedgehog17 is just really nicehedgehog17 is just really nicehedgehog17 is just really nicehedgehog17 is just really nicehedgehog17 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Russellnyc
Hey, what do you mean when you recommend setting ptm for snow? Do you mean tire pressures, or is there actually another winter-specific setting?
I think its more than just temp range - it does reset PTM seeting and the system learns (while you are crusing for 3-5km) new tyres and how they behave on the road. i dont knoe for sure - the ptm lamp goes yellow then you change the tyres type and then in 5-10 min goes off...

Old 09-28-2009, 10:10 AM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Interesting note on Porsche documentation.... It's one of a few car makers that writes manuals in a "feature dump" mode. No "FYI" or "practical tips"
or "how to's". Ehhh, love them all dearly...

Old 09-28-2009, 11:36 AM
SVTHorsnake will become famous soon enoughSVTHorsnake will become famous soon enough
I recommend 997 C wheels in 18". It will open up a whole new realm of options for snow tires, and most will be significantly less expensive.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:31 PM
porschestrabe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brownan
I run Pirelli Sottozero 240s on stock wheels with 295s in the rear versus 305s. They're exceptional. Car is a blast in winter....it gulps the cold air. As mentioned earlier in this thread, these cars are meant to be used...23k and almost 30 track days in 19 months!
Took your recommendation and just ordered the Pirellis -- Thanks!

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Old 12-04-2009, 02:38 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Those p 240 snows are awsome, way better than the conti snows I have on my car.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:11 PM
mine rides like a luxury car on the pirelli snows...totally different feel, no road noise...of course doesnt handle as well

Old 12-04-2009, 09:22 PM
porschestrabe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Those p 240 snows are awsome, way better than the conti snows I have on my car.
I learned earlier today that the Contis have been discontinued in 295 30 19s. I still have the set from my C4S -- The front tires are new and the rears are almost new -- but since I now have a new TT, I wanted 4 new tires too.

Now what do I do with the contis...

Old 12-05-2009, 05:58 PM
CPB
CPB will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by SVTHorsnake
I recommend 997 C wheels in 18". It will open up a whole new realm of options for snow tires, and most will be significantly less expensive.

Complete agreement. Go with 18"...more availability, cheaper, better performance.

First snow tonight. Was out in the Subaru, but the turbo is standing by with Pirelli 240's

Drive 'em in the snow, it's fun.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
RTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura about
The PS2's are worthless in freezing temps. Put a set of Nokian N rated on the stock oem wheels. Bought 4 more TPMS sensors & put the stock PS2's on a set of black Champion's RS171's, & had both sets balanced . So I have 2 complete sets, one (OEM/Nokian's) for December-February & the Champions/PS2's for rest of the year. Bought a great jack & do the change out myself twice a year.

Car handles fine in the colder temps w/ the Nokians. Not as grippy as the PS2's in the warmth but very decent. A few inches of snow is no problem. IMO the Nok's are the best winter tire for the OEM sized wheel. W/ the stock 19" wheels, instead of 18's the car still looks right. But it is less expensive to get cheap 18's vs a set of high end custom 19's & use the stockers for winter. But either way, definitely rec. having 2 complete sets.

I don't purposely take the car out while it's already snowing, that's what SUV's are for but I also don't want to be limited to only using the Turbo in warm weather. This way during the winter if I'm at work or wherever & it starts to snow, got the snow shoes on the car & I'm good to go.... Highly rec. using the car yr round. Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo in the Winter