997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

TPMS Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:57 PM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
TPMS Help

Guys,

For my 2008 997 TT:

So i had my bbs wheels installed with factory TPMS sensors albeit a different set than was on the stock wheels, put them on

the tpms system immediately goes into learn mode...after many miles it beeps and states it is inactive and delivers the dreaded red ! on the dash

had tried for a week

in the tpc part of the on board display it shows the 4 wheels with "req" on the left, 33 front right, 39 rear right

all sensors have been tested and are sending 433mhz

had a porsche OBD computer hooked up, showed the fault that it was disabled...they reset the fault

on my way home 45 minutes, the same thing happened...at a loss here...thoughts?

Last edited by handdoc; 10-01-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-01-2009, 07:35 PM
TD997TT will become famous soon enough
TPMS reset problem

I have had the same problem but gave up trying to get it to work since I'm done with the track for the season and will be changing back to original wheels for winter.

At one point, I had contacted Tire Rack about buying a reset tool. They said Porsches don't need reset tools and recommended a procedure that involved dropping 5-8 lbs of pressure from all four tires, waiting a 2-3 minutes, and then reinflating them back to the required levels as set in the TPMS system, e.g. 33/39 for summer tires with partial load. Doing this first, and then driving for the ~30 minutes it seems to take the system to "learn" is supposed to turn the light out. I cannot confirm this works since I haven't tried it.

As I understand it, the other possible way to make this go away is with diagnostic software like Durametric, but I haven't looked into that either.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Subscribed. New wheels coming in a few weeks. Hope I don't have this problem. Good luck handdoc.
Curious, what are the sizes of your wheels/tires?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:59 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
try doing the reset once again on the car TPMS computer. This happened to me as well with stockies on. Also, make sure it's on partial load. If that doesn't work, I also tried switching from summer to winter tires, then back to summer. It cured it somehow. Drive the car for approx 5 miles or so after you do the reset.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:50 AM
BADBRUNO will become famous soon enough
I had the same problem with three days at the dealer and replaced two TPMS boxes.. the fix came from tell ing the setup to go to winter tires and back again

Old 10-02-2009, 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by BADBRUNO
I had the same problem with three days at the dealer and replaced two TPMS boxes.. the fix came from tell ing the setup to go to winter tires and back again
thx guys so far, fixes i will try...problem is you have to drive for a while after to see if it worked

badbruno...did you set winter, then allow the fault to occur, then change it back to summer?

i did try this w/o success last week

Old 10-02-2009, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by TD997TT
I have had the same problem but gave up trying to get it to work since I'm done with the track for the season and will be changing back to original wheels for winter.

At one point, I had contacted Tire Rack about buying a reset tool. They said Porsches don't need reset tools and recommended a procedure that involved dropping 5-8 lbs of pressure from all four tires, waiting a 2-3 minutes, and then reinflating them back to the required levels as set in the TPMS system, e.g. 33/39 for summer tires with partial load. Doing this first, and then driving for the ~30 minutes it seems to take the system to "learn" is supposed to turn the light out. I cannot confirm this works since I haven't tried it.

As I understand it, the other possible way to make this go away is with diagnostic software like Durametric, but I haven't looked into that either.
should the car be running when trying the above?

Old 10-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Subscribed. New wheels coming in a few weeks. Hope I don't have this problem. Good luck handdoc.
Curious, what are the sizes of your wheels/tires?
stock tire sizes

Old 10-02-2009, 04:35 AM
BADBRUNO will become famous soon enough
Handdoc,

stock tires sizes yes I get this problem when I either switch to my stock rims or my summer rims.. Yes the car need to be running. I found that you need to give it a chance. switch to winter and drive it and also the tire pressure need to be on the money too. Get the tires to the pressures listed on the drive side door. The dealer knowns even less. they tried to blame it on my bluetooth and radar detector Nice..

Old 10-02-2009, 05:32 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Peter,
There is nothing wrong with your car, or the sensors. I go through this everytime I change rims (winter/summer/track~3 different sets of sensors).
You have to follow the instructions in the manual to the letter. The system will learn the new sensors, takes a little time, usually about a day. Be sure you are set on partial load, summer tires. I would also put the pressure up to 40 all around until it is set, then lower it as desired.
c

Old 10-02-2009, 10:44 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I have been unable to fix this problem. I have followed the owners manual to the t and still no fix. My dealer has tried multiple times, but still not fixed. We have replaced sensors and modules and still no fix. I just got used to the warning light on the dash.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:59 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I have never had that problem and I've been through 6 seperate sets of rims and sensors on this car.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 PM
ed997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to behold
i got mine to go away with the summer and partial load options but my pressure registers exactly 3 pounds low on each tire vs actual pressure confirmed with 2 different guages. Is there a way to fix that or do I just live with it and be happy I do not have the dash light? thx.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:14 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ed997tt
i got mine to go away with the summer and partial load options but my pressure registers exactly 3 pounds low on each tire vs actual pressure confirmed with 2 different guages. Is there a way to fix that or do I just live with it and be happy I do not have the dash light? thx.

That's normal. The TPMS is always 2-3 psi lower than actual. Porsche just needs to make better/more accurate sensors in the future.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:22 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NeilM
That's normal. The TPMS is always 2-3 psi lower than actual. Porsche just needs to make better/more accurate sensors in the future.
agree

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPMS Help