997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
9500 miles , evt700 = not even one engine cough or sneeze . I was about to say it's the most reliable car I ever had but my M3 has 23K miles and is equally as flawless . The only time I get to the shop with my Turbo is to add mods and since the car was completed several months ago I have been spending more time tinkering with my PDK car these days.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:26 PM
JS1967 is on a distinguished road
13,000 miles, 10 track days so far and no problems here. Just going thru tires and brake pads.
On a more serious note, it feels so good to own something that preforms like the 997 TT, these cars are truly reliable and you do not have to baby them at all. It is rare in these times to really get your moneys worth when you buy anything. In the case of the Turbo, it is the value of the century.

Go get your self a Turbo and have fun.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:14 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by twturbo
Was the 997tt available in 2006 in Europe i now some past models have come out a year early but didn't hear about the 997tt & to answer your ? CPO. 13 k miles so far no issuse's except some minor mod related stuff.
There are models as old as 6/06 available as we speak.
See Porsche.de: gebrauchtwagenzuche and select Europa, not only Deutschland.

I will get a Porsche approved anyway, but just trying to find out if there is anything to look at during purchase.

Thanks guys for the amount of feedback! Sound like it will be as good as the 996TT!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:38 PM
drkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by yrralis1
9500 miles , evt700 = not even one engine cough or sneeze . I was about to say it's the most reliable car I ever had but my M3 has 23K miles and is equally as flawless . The only time I get to the shop with my Turbo is to add mods and since the car was completed several months ago I have been spending more time tinkering with my PDK car these days.
Larry, how is the PDK these days by the way?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:17 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kip
There are models as old as 6/06 available as we speak.
See Porsche.de: gebrauchtwagenzuche and select Europa, not only Deutschland.

I will get a Porsche approved anyway, but just trying to find out if there is anything to look at during purchase.

Thanks guys for the amount of feedback! Sound like it will be as good as the 996TT!
Here is a direct link.

http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/de/c...&pnr_=1&lnr_=4

Old 12-02-2009, 04:13 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drkbrent
Larry, how is the PDK these days by the way?
I really like the PDK . On the 997 section the topic of manual vs PDK has been debated quite often . Generally there are those with a strong preference for manual or PDK . I happen to fall into middle where I like both for their strengths yet also refuse to ignore the weakness in each . Oddly enough the strenghs of one reveal the flaws of the other .

I view the ideal setup as having both .
a) The manual for its timeless , traditional , and basic design .
b) the PDK for is variety of selection and sophisticated means of reducing driver error .

Both have a lot to offer and as a result .. I have two cars

Old 12-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
The only issue I had was radiator fan that would not shut off. This was when the car was new. It was a faulty fan switch. Car is an 07 with 7200 miles and runs great!

Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 PM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
Car is great and has 14K miles.
I had two hose leaks in the engine compartment. One was a fitting failure on top of the engine at the rear(cabin side) and then directly after repair the hose that routes around the alternator sprung a leak. Both covered under warranty. Slight leak on both rear quarter windows when hit directly with a water hose. Battery just died not covered under warranty due to lack of milage (500 miles a month required)
If anyone has any vin info on the body weld issue I would be interested.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 AM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
RMS is not an issue on the 997TT. Maybe for the GT3, GT3RS, but it is a rare problem on the turbos.

Here are the main weak points that affect 997TTs.

1. Clutch slave failure - not a surprise, since it is the same unit on the 996TT, and it too had problems.

2. VTG turbo actuators - TSB notice for lubrication or replacement of turbo units.

3. Rear quarter panel weld failure - TSB on this also...affected early 07 units with specific VINs.

4. There is a TSB on the fuel line for leaking, although I have not heard of any member or local area owner that has had the problem.
what is this rear quater panel weeld failure? is there a tsb # on this. the reason i ask is because when i was replacing my side skirts to gt2 sides, i noticed some slight over spray on the sqirts, and the i removed the mud flap and i saw that instead of the weld spots , there were rivets and then repainted, i am wondering if this was an accident or a tsb as you mentioned. its right where the quater panel meets the front side of the car near the skirt. i hav a 2007. thanks

Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
48,000 miles with 40+ track days:
3 bad spark plugs (within the first 6 months) - replaced under warranty
clutch slave cylinder - replaced under warranty

Other than that no issues, just normal wear and tear based on usage: pads, rotors, cracked a radiator on the track, I wish the front bumper came with a mesh guard instead of the fins.

Overall the car is solid, need to go in for the 50k service to see if any of the belts need replacing and see if my clutch pedal needs to be adjusted.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 AM
avonlady has a spectacular aura aboutavonlady has a spectacular aura about
I bought my 08 997 tt with 1,500 miles 2 months ago and can not say enough about this car. Only got 2,500 miles so far but looking forward to a long life with this one.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
All of the above issues are the only reocuring issues that pop up. Nothing that won't be fixed under warranty. There is a reason why Porsche has been the number one manufacturer in quality. Though just recently the were over-taken and are number two. We are talking about for the past thirty plus years...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Jonnydeep83 is on a distinguished road
purchased at roughly 15000 miles, at ODO 17000 , had CEL light. camshaft replaced under warrantly to resolve(there was a problem w/ the oil feeder into the cam shaft).. that was One week to diagnose, one week to get the part and 1 week to put back together and have dealer test...

at odo 24,000 coolant leak, some sort of hosing came out required some spot welding 1 week...

total time w/o the car this year is.. 4 weeks.

better make sure you have a second car. My dealer gives honda's and jettas as loaners, so i just drove my jeep for the 4 weeks
Total invoices of repairs covered under warranty so far has been just over $10,000.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Evergreen997TT is on a distinguished road
I am probably the exception to the rule, but I purchased a CPO 07 TT with 28k miles from Momentum in TX. I had to beg my wife, but she finally agreed to let me get one . . . so here it goes . . .

From day one the shifter was popping out of 2nd; so the gearbox was replaced under warranty. It only happened going downhill while coming to a stop so it was hard to duplicate.

After the gearbox was replaced, the CEL came on while it was still at the dealership. The result was that the DME was replaced and a precat. O2 sensor was replaced (bank 2 was running rich). PCNA rejected the warranty claim because of an overrev that existed before Momentum certified the car. We fought and got them to cover it by basically stating that it would be a "deceptive warranty" practice and unlawful under the Magnuson-Moss Act to use a pre CPO overrev to deny a warranty claim.

Lessons: Check the DME for overrevs even if the car is certified!!! I did ask Momentum to check the DME for any issues and was told in writing that there were no issues and that the car was under full warranty. I unfortunately did not ask to see the DME records to confirm Momentum's assessment. Clearly Momentum and PCNA were not on the same page as to what constitutes a material overrev. Live and learn.

Had the car home for a few weeks and another CEL came on. Result was a bad cat; so the entire exhaust was replaced under warranty. We had to fight again with PCNA, but got it approved.

Overall, I would not buy another used car unless I actually read the DME report myself. If there were any upper level overrevs then I would not get the car even if the service manager said the car was under full warranty. When my issue came up, Momentum walked away and said it had no control over PCNA; and was NO help.

Fortunately, my service manager at Stevinson was great and worked with me to get PCNA to approve the items.

Again, live and learn. I learned about the overrev issue the hardway; even though the car's engine is fine.

Last edited by Evergreen997TT; 12-17-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:34 PM
JS1967 is on a distinguished road
What level of over rev. did you have?

Originally Posted by Evergreen997TT
I am probably the exception to the rule, but I purchased a CPO 07 TT with 28k miles from Momentum in TX. I had to beg my wife, but she finally agreed to let me get one . . . so here it goes . . .

From day one the shifter was popping out of 2nd; so the gearbox was replaced under warranty. It only happened going downhill while coming to a stop so it was hard to duplicate.

After the gearbox was replaced, the CEL came on while it was still at the dealership. The result was that the DME was replace and a precat. O2 sensor was replace (bank 2 was running rich). PCNA rejected the warranty claim because of an overrev that existed before Momentum certified the car. We fought and got them to cover it by basically stating that it would be a "deceptive warranty" practice and unlawful under the Magnuson-Moss Act to use a pre CPO overrev to deny a warranty claim.

Lessons: Check the DME for overrevs even if the car is certified!!! I did ask Momentum to check the DME for any issues and was told in writing that there were no issues and that the car was under full warranty. I unfortunately did not ask to see the DME records to confirm Momentum's assessment. Clearly Momentum and PCNA were not on the same page as to what constitutes a material overrev. Live and learn.

Had the car home for a few weeks and another CEL came on. Result was a bad cat; so the entire exhaust was replace under warranty. We had to fight again with PCNA, but got it approved.

Overall, I would not buy another used car unless I actually read the DME report myself. If there were any upper level overrevs then I would not get the car even if the service manager said the car was under full warranty. When my issue came up, Momentum walked away and said it had no control over PCNA; and was NO help.

Fortunately, my service manager at Stevinson was great and worked with me to get PCNA to approve the items.

Again, live and learn. I learned about the overrev issue the hardway; even though the car's engine is fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997TT reliability?