997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: What transmission to get for a 2010 turbo?
6-Speed Manual Transmission
38.68%
PDK Transmission
61.32%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Which to choose 997.2 turbo with 6-speed manual or PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
Manual all the way.

I will never own any kind of automatic iteration no matter what name it goes by.

Cabman

Old 12-11-2009, 07:53 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WilliamP997
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2010 turbo and I cant decide I have always had manual transmissions because in my opinion, the tiptronic was too "automatic" for me. I like the idea of the PDK, but I am worried that it wont provide enough thrill like a manual car will. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Anyone drive the PDK yet? Thanks!!
Careful about PDK! No question that it's faster, but there is such a thing called "driver involvement" as you stated, and there are posts of people not entirely happy with this aspect of PDK. These are all anecdotal reports, but they are there.
Because of what you wrote, I would say test drive first, but lean towards manual. This might be an expensive mistake, so be very careful with your choice.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shark01
...a win for the HANDICAP, a loss for true enthusiasts
Fixed that for you

Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Slowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by il nino
I think everyone is missing the point of owning a sport car. PDK may be faster and more technological but where did being "one with the car" go. If I was a competitive racer or a commuter and needed an automatic then the PDK would be the way to go. With the amazing potential of the Turbo and the super limits it has well the only way to really appreciate the car on a constant basis is with the communication you get from the clutch pedal, the gearshift etc.
I can enjoy my Turbo at 40 and 50 mph because of the JOY of shifting and controlling the car. With an automatic in a high performance car, you have to be accelerating at speeds that send you to jail to enjoy the car.
I drove both the Panamera 4S and the Panamera Turbo and could appreciate the PDK in that type of performance sedan but if you are talking about a 911 Turbo then a manual is the way to go and be INTIMATE with you baby.

I drive a manual and like it for all the reasons you mention but the PDK has so many new fans it makes me want to at least go for a test drive.

I like your point on the 40-50 mph control with a manual but can't the PDK be controled by the driver to hold any gear to the rpm you want and shift with the paddles up or down when and as you choose?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=il nino;2650516]I think everyone is missing the point of owning a sport car. PDK may be faster and more technological but where did being "one with the car" go. If I was a competitive racer or a commuter and needed an automatic then the PDK would be the way to go.quote]

PDK is not an "automatic" . It's more like an auto manual.
The 1st gear redline over rev will get bypassed and even more important it is impossible to money shift a PDK . That alone is worth the purchase.

If you want connectivity .. buya GT3 .
The Turbo is more like a luxury car in contrast and PDK will give it every bit more of an edge for getting to speed more efficiently than the manual . It will also cruise in gridlock traffic with ease .

Old 12-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
...I can enjoy my Turbo at 40 and 50 mph because of the JOY of shifting and controlling the car. With an automatic in a high performance car, you have to be accelerating at speeds that send you to jail to enjoy the car....
This is a very good point. I really enjoy heal-toe shifting in traffic on the way to work. That being said, I voted for PDK - I really like the performance benefit. But, in regards to increasing the stock level of performance, how much torque can the PDK manage without blowing up? It would be awesome to have a 2010 PDK car with GT30s and >700 RWTQ.... but would it hold together? This is a very valid question for a lot of us. I'm very interested to see how the tuning community deals with this potential issue.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Bigrigger has a spectacular aura aboutBigrigger has a spectacular aura about
The 2010 TT PDK drivers better get on their hands and knees and pray to the Mod Gods that the stock PDK dosent have any major issues, otherwise the GTR guys will be saying "SEE SEE, Now YOUR precious tranny has glass gears and no warrenty, so there"

Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
The real question is paddles or buttons...

Old 12-11-2009, 10:23 PM
BMWPower06 will become famous soon enough
I would get the 6MT. I've driven the Porsche PDK and it is no where near as exotic as the SMG in my M5. In fact, I found the Porsche PDK to be dull and boring. I'd definitely recommend getting the 6MT

Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
The real question is paddles or buttons...
Ya think? I would go for the paddle and leave the buttons for the boxsters.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:46 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
By nowhere near exotic do you mean the thump, thump that the SMG does is not present and accounted for?

If I end up getting a 997.2 Turbo my choice will definitely be PDK because with a turbo car you can't argue with no boost or tractive force loss between shifts.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
I think everyone is missing the point of owning a sport car. PDK may be faster and more technological but where did being "one with the car" go. If I was a competitive racer or a commuter and needed an automatic then the PDK would be the way to go. With the amazing potential of the Turbo and the super limits it has well the only way to really appreciate the car on a constant basis is with the communication you get from the clutch pedal, the gearshift etc.
I can enjoy my Turbo at 40 and 50 mph because of the JOY of shifting and controlling the car. With an automatic in a high performance car, you have to be accelerating at speeds that send you to jail to enjoy the car.
I drove both the Panamera 4S and the Panamera Turbo and could appreciate the PDK in that type of performance sedan but if you are talking about a 911 Turbo then a manual is the way to go and be INTIMATE with you baby.

You name it!

+1

Old 12-11-2009, 10:54 PM
missmelva is an unknown quantity at this point
the only reason I would buy the 2010 turbo is the pdk

Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 AM
2008911tt is on a distinguished road
I would definitely get the PDK. I own a 2008 997 Turbo with 6 speed manual. I love the car and the shifting, and could not tolerate the tiptronic (which was like shift an automatic up and down with buttons instead of a lever) but I only drive it a few thousand miles a year.
A little over a month ago I bought a 2K10 M3 for my daily driver. I ordered it with the M-DCT transmission (basically the same as PDK). I like the transmission and the flexibility of driving in auto-shift, paddle shift, or stick shift. The M-DCT, like the PDK, rev matches on downshifts, has lightning quick upshifts, and provides 7 close ratio gears to meet virtually any need. If I were to replace my 997 TT it would definitely be with PDK. Most of us buy these cars for performance. I do miss that third pedal in the M3 but why handicap yourself with an inferior product from a technology and performance standpoint right out of the gate? You can do everything with the PDK that you can do with the manual but you don't have to push a pedal and the car will do it faster and more effectively. Those that argue against PDK should ask themselves about turbos, ECUs, Fuel Injectors, etc. Those were all technological advances that proved valuable to increasing performance and efficiency. The PDK is another advancement that improves performance and flexibility.
Definitely get the paddles if you go PDK. For some reason Porsche chose to arrange its stick forward (push) for upshifts and back (pull) for downshifts. To me that seems counterintuitive to the g-force effects when accelerating.
Good luck and congratulations on your soon-to-be new ride!

Old 12-12-2009, 05:53 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
A couple local dealers around here brought a few PDK cars to one of our track weekends and I got to drive the PDK on the track. I found I could spend more attention on the line and driving, and less messing with the clutch and shifter. I loved it. I would get the paddles because the buttons were confusing. For a DD, with traffic the way it is now, you could put it in auto mode for crawling traffic and switch to manual once you get in the open. Seems to me an all around win/win situation. Nobody can answer the modifiability question yet.

Last edited by landjet; 12-12-2009 at 05:56 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which to choose 997.2 turbo with 6-speed manual or PDK