997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: What transmission to get for a 2010 turbo?
6-Speed Manual Transmission
38.68%
PDK Transmission
61.32%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Which to choose 997.2 turbo with 6-speed manual or PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:49 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Manuals seem to keep the driver more connected to the car and take more skill to drive quickly. On the other side of the equation all the other high end cars (Ferrari, Lambos, and all F-1 cars) use an auto manual transmission. We used to think the same drag racing until beefed up GM hydromatics with high stall torque converters delivered higher and more consistant 1/4's and trap speeds.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:13 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
6 speed manual feels more like a genuine sports car, but is slower and when you need the power I seem to have problems getting a good launch. PDK I have only tested in Panamera 4S, but it was unbeliavable with the stop and go function also. You could just see the numbers changing instantly, but you feel nothing.

My choice is PDK all the way!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:15 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
idk, i never drove a porsche with pdk, as far as my thoughts now, i would pick 6speed, but if i test driven a pdk i may pick it, but i think my right foot would be a little lonely.....lol
Left foot braking baby!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
I would get the new tt with PDK. Other P-cars not so much. One example where I would love to have the PDK is my annual trip to the Tail of the Dragon with the Cayman club. Now I definitely do not want PDk in my Cayman as it is just such drivers car and joy to shift, except when on the Dragon. This is not a very fast run, max maybe around 80Mph. Most is second gear, however some staright aways are too long for second and you have to either let off the throttle earl to not hit the rev limiter or upshift. However, it maybe just another 1-2 seconds before you have to start to brake and start your turn it. So most times it is just second and letting of the throttle as upshifting would almost immediately cause you to downshift and brake for the turn and therefor just unsettle the car with the clutch engaging andt the drive train disengaging twice before the turn. With PDK you just pull the paddle and downshift while on the brakes and turning in and let the computer do the rev matching and shifting without greatly unsettling the car.

now this is just an example where my mediocre driving skills cannot ,atch the PDK and I could have fun in a car with PDK. Even more so in a heavier, especially rear heavier car such as the tt. Furthermore, the tt is more of a GT anyway and at times it could be nice to just keep in auto. Don't get me wrong I own 3 P-cars and all are shifters and I DD at least one of them every day.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:24 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by il nino
I think everyone is missing the point of owning a sport car. PDK may be faster and more technological but where did being "one with the car" go. If I was a competitive racer or a commuter and needed an automatic then the PDK would be the way to go. With the amazing potential of the Turbo and the super limits it has well the only way to really appreciate the car on a constant basis is with the communication you get from the clutch pedal, the gearshift etc.
I can enjoy my Turbo at 40 and 50 mph because of the JOY of shifting and controlling the car. With an automatic in a high performance car, you have to be accelerating at speeds that send you to jail to enjoy the car.
I drove both the Panamera 4S and the Panamera Turbo and could appreciate the PDK in that type of performance sedan but if you are talking about a 911 Turbo then a manual is the way to go and be INTIMATE with you baby.
+1
Also most people will drive 4000 miles a year at most so why not row your own gears. There is no way the PDK is an much fun or as an enjoyable drive as the 6 speed manual IMO.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Quantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PT Doc
I would wait for next revision/generation of the PDK and thus voted for the manual.

When is the 7 speed manual coming out?
Never, having a 7 Speed Manual Transmission would relocate the 7th gear to the left of first.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:33 AM
leighspped is on a distinguished road
Talking

id go for the pdk it should provide and extra eliminate of tuning. how many people are buying this to driving it stock its whole life, i dont think very many. plus its finally not a negative for being an auto

Old 12-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Dr J is on a distinguished road
PDK all the way

Old 12-15-2009, 01:58 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by leighspped
id go for the pdk it should provide and extra eliminate of tuning. how many people are buying this to driving it stock its whole life, i dont think very many. plus its finally not a negative for being an auto
Does anyone have any idea what he just said?

Last edited by bbywu; 12-16-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:03 PM
mcm
mcm is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2009 turbo with manual shift and for me it was a must have on a sport car to have manal shift but I learn that this it not true on turbo. sure the old tiptronic was ****.
I sell my turbo and buy a real sport car gt3 rs and love on this car the manual shift (get car next year because wait for new rs)
Now I try the turbo II with PDK and was real impressed - I real love this car and if I have this before - I never would sell. it is a rocket and so fun to ride with pdk and the shift paddle .. power band is on turbo so short that the PDK is perfect (but still would never think about PDK get on gt3 - this are different engine and different world)
If You plan a turbo - please buy with PDK - You will love it and understand then my words

Old 12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
solarlottry is on a distinguished road
2010 vs 2011 turbo

i have a 2009 TT 6MT and love the car but in heavy traffic and all the steep hills of honolulu, constant shifting does get a little old. I have been thinking of buying either a 2010 or 11 TT. If anyone has any thoughts if i should wait till the 2011 TT comes out so Porsche can work some of the kinks out of the new 2010 engine/car. Also I had a 09 S with the PDK and did miss the manual transmission of my old 1999 911. With the new TT though and "launch control" i think the PDK may be the way to go.