997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: What transmission to get for a 2010 turbo?
6-Speed Manual Transmission
38.68%
PDK Transmission
61.32%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Which to choose 997.2 turbo with 6-speed manual or PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:08 AM
il nino will become famous soon enoughil nino will become famous soon enough
It comes down to 'whatever floats your boat' but make sure you test drive both vehicles because it is a significant decision.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:39 AM
trice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enough
clearly there are some strong opinions on this issue. i disagree with those that say the pdk removes the driver involvement. that depends on how you drive it. in my m5 smg, i always drive it in manual mode and use the paddles to shift. i totally feel "involved" in the driving experience. the only thing i am missing is pushing the foot clutch. but i am up and down shifting when i want. i use to be a big stick driver, but am hooked on the footless clutch and paddles. obviously i ordered my 2010 tt with pdk.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:54 AM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Row the gears yourself, the whole experience is far more pleasurable IMO.

You learn so much more about your car that way, it takes skill and years to learn that, and you never really master it because each driving experience is different day to day.

Absolutely no doubt PDK is amazing technology....the evolution of the gearbox but each time they add these technological marvels something is lost. I am all in favour of technology!

I drive my car with PSM off even in the rain and it forces me to be a better driver, the car teaches me things every day I drive it so I become one with her.....

This is the PASSION of driving, the essence of it.

Ben

Old 12-12-2009, 09:31 AM
GT2 Mike has a spectacular aura aboutGT2 Mike has a spectacular aura about
6 Speed !

I love rowing gears

Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 AM
46and2 is on a distinguished road
I think it depends on what you want. A PDK will shift faster and more consistent, every single time. The manual will provide more involvement and "feel". My boss just bought an e46 M3, and we both agree that the SMG is faster shifting, but not nearly as involved.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:23 AM
gelkad will become famous soon enoughgelkad will become famous soon enough
Go with PDK

Old 12-12-2009, 02:55 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
I have two 6spd but with the TT, I would pick PDK.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:32 PM
nina can only hope to improve
Agree with Shark.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:45 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
I would wait for next revision/generation of the PDK and thus voted for the manual.

When is the 7 speed manual coming out?

Old 12-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Chris-997 is on a distinguished road
pdk..........

Old 12-12-2009, 05:20 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
idk, i never drove a porsche with pdk, as far as my thoughts now, i would pick 6speed, but if i test driven a pdk i may pick it, but i think my right foot would be a little lonely.....lol

Last edited by landjet; 12-14-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:22 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by il nino
I think everyone is missing the point of owning a sport car. PDK may be faster and more technological but where did being "one with the car" go. If I was a competitive racer or a commuter and needed an automatic then the PDK would be the way to go. With the amazing potential of the Turbo and the super limits it has well the only way to really appreciate the car on a constant basis is with the communication you get from the clutch pedal, the gearshift etc.
I can enjoy my Turbo at 40 and 50 mph because of the JOY of shifting and controlling the car. With an automatic in a high performance car, you have to be accelerating at speeds that send you to jail to enjoy the car.
I drove both the Panamera 4S and the Panamera Turbo and could appreciate the PDK in that type of performance sedan but if you are talking about a 911 Turbo then a manual is the way to go and be INTIMATE with you baby.
well said!!! +1 6 speed

Old 12-12-2009, 06:33 PM
SilverRSXJezus Is a GOD !SilverRSXJezus Is a GOD !SilverRSXJezus Is a GOD !SilverRSXJezus Is a GOD !SilverRSXJezus Is a GOD !SilverRSXJezus Is a GOD !SilverRSXJezus Is a GOD !SilverRSXJezus Is a GOD !SilverRSXJezus Is a GOD !SilverRSXJezus Is a GOD !SilverRSXJezus Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2008911tt
I would definitely get the PDK. I own a 2008 997 Turbo with 6 speed manual. I love the car and the shifting, and could not tolerate the tiptronic (which was like shift an automatic up and down with buttons instead of a lever) but I only drive it a few thousand miles a year.
A little over a month ago I bought a 2K10 M3 for my daily driver. I ordered it with the M-DCT transmission (basically the same as PDK). I like the transmission and the flexibility of driving in auto-shift, paddle shift, or stick shift. The M-DCT, like the PDK, rev matches on downshifts, has lightning quick upshifts, and provides 7 close ratio gears to meet virtually any need. If I were to replace my 997 TT it would definitely be with PDK. Most of us buy these cars for performance. I do miss that third pedal in the M3 but why handicap yourself with an inferior product from a technology and performance standpoint right out of the gate? You can do everything with the PDK that you can do with the manual but you don't have to push a pedal and the car will do it faster and more effectively. Those that argue against PDK should ask themselves about turbos, ECUs, Fuel Injectors, etc. Those were all technological advances that proved valuable to increasing performance and efficiency. The PDK is another advancement that improves performance and flexibility.
Definitely get the paddles if you go PDK. For some reason Porsche chose to arrange its stick forward (push) for upshifts and back (pull) for downshifts. To me that seems counterintuitive to the g-force effects when accelerating.
Good luck and congratulations on your soon-to-be new ride!

The difference is that advances in turbo technology, fuel injectors, ECUs, and all that don't take away elements from the driving experience whereas PDK does.

I would say the last "biggest" change in terms of technology that affected that was the introduction of synchronized transmission gears, which took away the need for double clutching.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:47 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by trice9
clearly there are some strong opinions on this issue. i disagree with those that say the pdk removes the driver involvement. that depends on how you drive it. in my m5 smg, i always drive it in manual mode and use the paddles to shift. i totally feel "involved" in the driving experience. the only thing i am missing is pushing the foot clutch. but i am up and down shifting when i want. i use to be a big stick driver, but am hooked on the footless clutch and paddles. obviously i ordered my 2010 tt with pdk.
I have both cars -
1) a manual Turbo
2) a PDK 997 S

I believe that the Turbo would benefit from the pdk . Unlike many on the forum I like both for different reasons that each camp lists . Oddly the strengths of one reveal the weakness of the other .

Hence the dilema .. and in my case --two cars.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:22 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
I spent three days CANING an Audi R8 around Sears Point/Infineon Raceway here in the San Francisco Bay Area at the Audi advanced race school.. I had the opportunity to drive both the 6 speed and the paddle shifter equipped car and here's my take:

The paddle shifter equipped car is probably .75 - 1 second a lap quicker around the track... You can brake at the limit and click a shift down simultaneously, which is perfectly rev matched for you by the car.. this helps keep the car more balanced and also lets you keep both hands on the wheel which helps. The upshifts can be executed at full power without lifting, so you get a more seamless stream of acceleration...

The 6 speed gearbox is a thing of beauty... each shift is accompanied by a metallic "snick", almost like the sound of the hammer being ****ed on a gun. It works flawlessly, as do most modern 6 speeds (apart from those in Corvette ZO6's and Vipers.. I owned a ZO6 before I bought my GT2 and the gearbox was freaking horrible).

Despite the advantages of the paddle shifter setup, at the end of the day, I wanted to be back in the 6 speed, because I really resented the lack of involvement and missed the skill and sheer delight in executing a perfectly rev-matched heel-toe downshift.. Also, my driving skills have been honed by many years of racing and practice.. I like the fact that I can use a manual gearbox to it's full potential.. With the paddle shifters, there's nothing to separate "The Men from The Boys" so to speak.. It's too much like playing a video game with one of those Momo wheel/pedal sets that bolt to your coffee table..

I'll stick to my 6 speed for my street/track day car. Though, if someone wants to pay me to race and there's money on the table, I'll have to go with the paddle shifters..

Last edited by 80shilling; 12-13-2009 at 01:25 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which to choose 997.2 turbo with 6-speed manual or PDK