997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Webtool1 will become famous soon enoughWebtool1 will become famous soon enough
Exhaust Question

I have noticed some slight increase in engine vibration of aftermarket exhausts being transmitted into the chassis. Now, most cars have their exhaust systems isolated with rubber hangers etc, (I think).
How is our exhaust system isolated? Do those band clamps secure the muffler to part of the engine which is isolated on its mounts? or the chassis where it is not. If the latter maybe it would help to jam some high temp. silicone or whatever between the muffler and the band clamp brackets. Also if the muffler is secured to the chassis side how does engine movement not fatigue the exhaust?
Or maybe I'm getting completely carried away with this.
Bob

Old 12-13-2009, 02:46 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
The aftermarket exhausts mount in the same fashion as the stocker. The only difference, the stock exhaust has the accordion type connection in the middle, this probably allows for movement and variation.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
With a high end exhaust system (like the FVD) you do not have any more vibration than stock! There is no need for extra insolation.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:01 PM
yep, I'm wondering that same thought.
but as I'm stuck with what I have for the time being.
the question boils down to:
is the muffler strap support part of the engine assembly, or the chassis?
So, the FVD system does not import ANY engine vibration?

Originally Posted by 996TTer
With a high end exhaust system (like the FVD) you do not have any more vibration than stock! There is no need for extra insolation.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
What system do you have right now?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:54 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
No vibration with my FVD at all

Old 12-14-2009, 08:23 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
non noticed on my cargraphic. make sure its all tight under there.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Double check the installation. Sometimes, if "straps" that come with the aftermarket exhaust are not the right size or don't hold the center muffler tight enough against the bracket, it can vibrate against the mounting bracket. That vibration can easily transmit into the cabin.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks!
Pretty sure its tight.
I torqued the bolts 'a 1/4 turn before they break' (old wrench joke)
and there's still bolt gap, so the clamps were correctly sized and the muffler is as tight as tight gets. Its a minor periodic vibration but enough to make the dash buzz now and then. Its about like a phone on buzz as you go through that rpm.

Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
Double check the installation. Sometimes, if "straps" that come with the aftermarket exhaust are not the right size or don't hold the center muffler tight enough against the bracket, it can vibrate against the mounting bracket. That vibration can easily transmit into the cabin.