997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PSS10 Setup with 997TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:19 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
PSS10 Setup with 997TT

OK, so I ordered the PSS10's and will probably wait until after the new year to have them installed.

I thought I read somewhere on here about how to align the car after installation but I can't find the thread anymore.

Questions:
- what is the preferred alignment?
- Do I remember correctly that there was front toe out and rear toe in?
- What is corner balancing?
- Sway bar(s): Adjustable or not, stock or 3rd party?

Car will be riding stock 19's on the street and 18's on the track. What considerations there?

Thanks.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:30 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Are you sure the Bilstien Damptronics wouldn't be better on your car since you have PASM?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
Are you sure the Bilstien Damptronics wouldn't be better on your car since you have PASM?
I think the proper name is Damptronic B16-PSS10 (p/n GA5-D598-H0). This is for 997 Turbo PASM.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
I thought I'd done a report on 6speed but I can't find it now.

Try this over on RL: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...stein-gmg.html

Make sure you read right to the end, as the preferred settings aren't achieved until a lot of testing

Old 12-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
I compiled this list of everyone's settings a while back:

Old 12-21-2009, 10:12 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Alex, I recently jumped on the damptronic bandwagon too. My shocks were starting to show sigs of wear, so it was time.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Alex_997TT
I compiled this list of everyone's settings a while back:
That's a very helpful compilation. Thank You!

Old 12-22-2009, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Alex, I recently jumped on the damptronic bandwagon too. My shocks were starting to show sigs of wear, so it was time.
Nice one Chris. What do you think of the change?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
That's a very helpful compilation. Thank You!
NOTE: ride height adjustment is a HUGE deal with the 997 Turbo - stock Bistein's or custom Bilstein's - as there is a huge amount of sagging over time which can really effect your car's 'rake' and therefore it's balance.

This was my sagging...

@0 miles: stock suspension (bottom of the range Bilsteins)

Factory front = 132 mm +/- 10mm
Factory rear = 153 mm +/- 10mm

@7500 miles: B16 Damptronics (top of the range Bilsteins)

Front: 134 mm
Rear: 140 mm (big sag and huge change in rake ie. the nose should be pointing downwards and it was nearly level!)

Reset to 119/132mm F/R

@10500 miles: B16 Damptronics (top of the range Bilsteins)

Front: 112 mm (sagged 7mm)
Rear: 128 mm (sagged 4mm)

Reset to: 117/138mm F/R (-15mm stock)

@17000 miles: B16 Damptronics (top of the range Bilsteins)

Front: 115.5 mm (sagged 1.5mm)
Rear: 135.5 mm (sagged 2.5mm)

Reset to: 117/138mm F/R (-15mm stock) - shouldn't be any more sagging now

The sagging is worse with stock Bilstein's than the B16 Damptronic kit. I'd say it takes between 5-10k miles before the suspension fully settles.

The really important thing is the front to rear ratio as you need to get that nose pointing nicely downwards! I think we measured the angle of the car at 1 degree in this regards after we adjusted for the revised factory setting baseline numbers.

This is where the stock 997s really struggle after 10k miles as they don't have adjustable ride height and so end up with their front nose up in the air and more weight leaning backwards. I personally wouldn't buy another Porsche that didn't come with adjustable ride height just because of this.

Also note that ride height adjustment with B16 Damptronics has a HUGE impact on ride quality over bumpy roads. I found -20mm front and rear to be way too harsh for UK roads, and -15mm to be just right. However, Europe has different specs for the Bilstein's to the US. Europe Bilstein recommends an equal drop between 15-35mm front and rear, the States recommends different drops between front and rear based on the tests they have performed.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I have mine set at -15mm, works great. Can't wait to try 'em out on the track.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Questions:
1 - what is the preferred alignment?
2 - Do I remember correctly that there was front toe out and rear toe in?
3 - What is corner balancing?
4 - Sway bar(s): Adjustable or not, stock or 3rd party
?
5. Car will be riding stock 19's on the street and 18's on the track. What considerations there?
1&2. It depends on what you are looking for but in general, for more sporty feel, the preferred alignment is increased front negative camber, and for some, yes, front toe out.
There a couple of reasons why this is so. If you ever test drive a GT2, or GT3, you will notice the following about our Turbo:
a. It understeers a lot and has very poor "rotation" in corners. The car wants to go straight.
b. The steering of the Turbo is "lazy" and lacks the direct response of the GT2.
Front neg. camber increases front cornering force and reduces understeer. Front toe-out improves the turn-in response. Front toe-out is most commonly seen among "racers" such as those on Rennlist GT3 forum. I love it because a gentle front toe-out feels very stable to me yet makes the Turbo steering much more like the GT2.

3. Corner balance: Complicated, but goal is to make the weights of Left Front + Right Rear = Right Front + Left Rear, with driver (or his weight) on the driver's seat. How they do this is they adjust the ride height at each individual corner.
50/50 on whether you need it or whether you could feel a difference. What it does is to make the car feel exactly the same turning left or turning right.
I would suggest you wait on this until you finalize what you want on the car. I don't have it on mine. If you are a perfectionist or you track the car, maybe yes. But again, do this as the very last step as it costs money and it changes every time you adjust height of suspension, etc.

BTW, to be completely perfect, you do need adjustable drop link if you are to corner balance so that there is no load on the car from the sway bar.

4. Yes to sway bar. I have GMG. Its effect at middle settings is surprisingly subtle. It does not stop the leaning so much as to make the steering and suspension feel tighter.
More importantly: adjustable sway bar is used to adjust the understeer/oversteer response of the car. For example, to reduce understeer, the setting is full soft front, full stiff rear.

5. Many people track cars here and could give you good advice. "eclou" uses 18 on his Turbo for the track, I think, and is quite knowledgeable on these issues.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun. The following thread has some info that you are asking about:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post1933286
And this is my car setting -- no problem and I love it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Summary of my car's current settings:
1. Bilstein Damptronic: Ride height drops are about 22mm front, 13mm rear from stock height of 132 front, 153 rear, making the car rakes down in front, more similar to GT2. Set and tested by Lucent Motors, Los Angeles (small Porsche shop with great reputation among car nuts).
2. GMG Anti-roll Bar: setting middle hole front and middle hole rear. Stock drop links.
3. Alignment Settings: Same as stock except Front Camber is now negative 1.2 degree (stock is neg 0.6 deg), and Front Toe is toe-out neg 2 min. (stock is toe-in positive 5 min.).<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by cannga; 12-23-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for all the great info.

Have a great Holiday Season and all the best for the New Year.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:35 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
wondering how the Bilistein's and other tweaks people here have done compare with the mkII turbo and what the factory did to improve the mkI? Meaning, did porsche make similar changes or did they attack from a different perspective?

Old 12-24-2009, 09:46 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
^^^Porsche VERY MUCH digs our mods. The approach is different as the new car has a different engine that weighs less, has PTV, etc., but the overall idea is eerily similar: Stiffer, less understeer, revised PASM. Those who have tested the new car appear to think it's between the stock 997.1 Turbo and a Bilstein Turbo in overall sporty feel. You could also have some idea so by just looking at the spring rates.

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...ods/page1.html

Last edited by cannga; 12-24-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:24 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Make sure you take it to a competent shop with lots of Porsche experience. As a starting point use -1.0 front camber and keep the rest of the settings within stock range. Start with this and advance the tires to R compounds when you are ready. I would also add a rear only GT2 away bar at some point to decrease understeer. Corner balancing is a waste of time on a street car, save your money.