997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Choosing a tuner? Choose Protomotive!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Choosing a tuner? Consider Protomotive!

Everyone has their favorite tuner but for those of you who are thinking about modding your 997tt, you would be remiss not to give Todd K. and Protomotive serious consideration. <O</O
<O</O

My car was previously powered by an EVOMSit stage 2 upgrade, which certainly delivered the power as advertised. To me, however, the power delivery felt more binary-like rather than linear. It was a real rush when you mashed the pedal—whoa! That said, I did notice some idosyncracies under normal aspiration when accelerating (no boost) mainly in second gear. I can't say it was sputtering but it was definitely not silky smooth either. It was minor enough that I didn’t bother to remove my ECU again to send to Evoms for tweaking. So for the most part, I was quite satisfied with the EVOMSit stage II flash but I wanted to keep all my options open for my current upgrade, do my homework and due diligence. <O</O
<O</O

My decision to go with Proto came after carefully researching AWE, EVOMS, Protomotive, Switzer, and Vivid/Softronic 700 packages. Developing a trustworthy relationship with a tuner before, during, after the install was an important part of my decision. What won me over was the way Todd K. responded to my questions, the quality of his answers, which revealed his vast knowledge and experience, and his tuning philosophy and integrity. As I mentioned in a previous post, Todd K. is a tuner’s tuner. I respect the fact he writes his own code for Proto’s ECU software which makes him the “brains” behind the “braun”. For me, it was really great to be able to flash via the OBDII port at home and have the capability send files back and forth to Todd for optimization. With only two days under my belt with the Proto upgrade, I couldn’t be happier. The power delivery is linear and silky smooth. I don’t have any times/speeds yet but will report in due course (clutch stills needs a little breaking in). <O</O

Last edited by TTdude; 12-29-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
They certainly have a great reputation and have for many years
so basically you overwrote the evoms flash? How do you feel about losing money on that mod?

Would love to hear more as you drive it etc

congrats

Old 12-29-2009, 07:37 AM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
I got a ride in a Protomotive tuned 997TT (bigger turbos, intercoolers) all I can say is WOW, it blew me away. I had never felt anything like it before. Congrats to you and enjoy your beast.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:54 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I overwrote my previous pes flash with a much more steady and linear FVD custom version, no regrets. My pes was slightly better than several giacs I drove, and this is nite and day better than either, imo.
As the OP said, promotive is phenominal, can't go wrong with Todd.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 AM
nevert00fast will become famous soon enoughnevert00fast will become famous soon enough
So Protomotive uses a OBDII cable to flash the ECU as well? How much does Protomotive charge for a stg 2(exhaust) tune?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:06 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raclaims
They certainly have a great reputation and have for many years
so basically you overwrote the evoms flash? How do you feel about losing money on that mod?
I was going to upgrade anyhow and Evoms was certainly going to give me credit toward their Evt700 package but when you add everything up, I felt Proto was the best value for me overall. So I actually saved $$ this way. Proto uses stock headers, BRVs, etc...

Originally Posted by nyamg
I got a ride in a Protomotive tuned 997TT (bigger turbos, intercoolers) all I can say is WOW, it blew me away. I had never felt anything like it before. Congrats to you and enjoy your beast.
Thanks. I felt the same way last night when I let her rip.

Originally Posted by nevert00fast
So Protomotive uses a OBDII cable to flash the ECU as well? How much does Protomotive charge for a stg 2(exhaust) tune?
Yes, an OBDII cable is used to flash. It's actually Softronic's Flash Client that Proto and others use to upload the file to the server. Todd does all the programming and will send back the modified file directly to you for uploading to your ECU. The uploading process is slow (~20 min), downloading is faster (~1 min). I found the best way to communicate with Todd is by email.

Last edited by TTdude; 12-29-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:52 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
I also got a 700 kit from Todd (Protomotive) a while back and i can say that Todd is the best in every aspect. I got a 700kit step by step we only spoke via e-mails and i feel like i know him for years. Communication is sometimes the most important thing.

I'm waiting for my performance box to arrive and i'll let you know the performance of a 700 kit on a convertible

Old 12-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
TTdude...interesting post. may I ask when you received your EVOMSit flash?
I had mine programmed this summer and was wondering may be they tweaked the software because I have VERY LINEAR power delivery 1900-7000RPM...

The delivery dare I say it is BETTER than STOCK...(power increase a BONUS.)

So may be it's an older software tune or the ECU... I know this is some what subjective opinions but just curious. Happy you're happy regardless.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Oh...just realized I still have stock exhaust. Any way let me know.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Serpentene
TTdude...interesting post. may I ask when you received your EVOMSit flash?
I had mine programmed this summer and was wondering may be they tweaked the software because I have VERY LINEAR power delivery 1900-7000RPM...

The delivery dare I say it is BETTER than STOCK...(power increase a BONUS.)

So may be it's an older software tune or the ECU... I know this is some what subjective opinions but just curious. Happy you're happy regardless.
It was about 1.3 years ago so maybe they have since updated their programming. Also, this is just my opinion so I'm not trying to product bash whatsoever but just offer a subjective observation from a consumer standpoint. I do know, however, a couple of other members who had their Stage II EVOMSsit software tweaked and another who just didn't like it for whatever reason so he opted for GIAC programming. It's all posted somewhere in this forum so this is no secret. I'm glad you are enjoying your EVOMSit programming. It's all personal preference and Evoms has been nothing but a pleasure to deal with. It's so nice to have such great choices! I just decided that Proto was right for me and give them some props.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Hi Dave -
First I'd like to wish you the best with your car and its new setup . I know that the amount of time one takes to research these upgrades can be so overwhelming and time consuming . We all love our cars .

One thing which may have changed a lot of the driving dynamic is that the Turbos were upgraded . I felt that the stock Turbos were awful.

When I made the jump to 700 the Evoms modified Turbos improved every aspect of how the car accelerated . I had the evoms software before I made the upgrade , as well as after , and now even more recently when I opted for the Tubi race exhaust.

Since we both are friends I wish we didn't live on opposite coasts so that we can take the cars out together and enjoy them both.

I look forward to seeing your car when I visit So cal .Be well and once again congrats!!!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks Larry! When you make it out here you can serve as the human common denominator. I'll be curious to hear your impressions. Your car is one wickedly hard pulling beast, that's for sure. I'm always hesitant making comparisons because it's almost always the case that there are too many variables involved. So opinions are just that--totally subjective, unverifiable but keeps things interesting .

Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=TTdude;2670536]Thanks Larry! When you make it out here you can serve as the human common denominator. quote]

My biggest problem is that I may end up liking both. Much like the PDK vs manual discussions I can look at different items in the same car and find both have appeal . Taking then out for a drive would be ideal . Since we both love thse cars so much hopefully we will keeping them long enough that despite living so far we may end up on a Sunday drive when one of us vacations in the others region and brings the car.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:45 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
thinking about same mod to my car

Old 01-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
thinking about same mod to my car
Cool. You won't be disappointing unless you don't like your face turning into a permanent emoticon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Choosing a tuner? Choose Protomotive!