997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cabin fills up with smell of gas sometimes???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 08:33 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Is it possible the fuel fumes catch system (whatever that is for the Porsche) could be failing and you are smelling that? I know many vehicles strongly warn about overfilling the car and I know there is a system to protect the environment by catching fumes from the tank. Could this system be compromised somehow?

Ed

Old 12-10-2018, 07:17 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by lliejk
Is it possible the fuel fumes catch system (whatever that is for the Porsche) could be failing and you are smelling that? I know many vehicles strongly warn about overfilling the car and I know there is a system to protect the environment by catching fumes from the tank. Could this system be compromised somehow?

Ed
Yes, I am taking it in to get a check out and switch out my fuel pump, venturi tubes and tank gaskets this coming Saturday.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:10 PM
Isthisforeal is an unknown quantity at this point
Had this issue on my 996tt which did eventually pop a code. My issue was the fuel pump cap had cracked/melted from the wire having resistance the fuel pump is located under your front trunk might be worth a try to whiff around there when you smell the fuel.

i ended up cleaning the wires and using jb weld to fix the crack on the pump lid. Its been over a year without issue

Old 12-27-2018, 12:31 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Isthisforeal
Had this issue on my 996tt which did eventually pop a code. My issue was the fuel pump cap had cracked/melted from the wire having resistance the fuel pump is located under your front trunk might be worth a try to whiff around there when you smell the fuel.

i ended up cleaning the wires and using jb weld to fix the crack on the pump lid. Its been over a year without issue

Yeah I just recently replaced my fuel pump and venturi tubes along with the cap and sealing ring....only to find out after the fact that my manifold bolts had backed out a bit causing an exhaust leak (and gas smells).

Old 01-05-2023, 09:32 AM
DGT3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Me too

[QUOTE=Porsche951S;2672567]I just got my 997 Turbo and notice sometimes when sitting at a light or slow cruise that the cabin fiills up with a strong smell of gas.. No lights have come on and its quite random but im still concerned.. Any ideas?

I have your issue in my 2009 turbo