997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cabin fills up with smell of gas sometimes???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Porsche951S will become famous soon enough
Cabin fills up with smell of gas sometimes???

I just got my 997 Turbo and notice sometimes when sitting at a light or slow cruise that the cabin fiills up with a strong smell of gas.. No lights have come on and its quite random but im still concerned.. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 01-01-2010, 05:57 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
That's a new one
have not heard anyone else having that issue
sounds like you need a trip to the dealer
let us know what you find out

Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I agree with taking it to your tech as soon as possible just to be on the safe side. Sounds like a fuel leak.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
And don't smoke!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:57 PM
mr.porsche has a spectacular aura aboutmr.porsche has a spectacular aura about
hey whats up?! i have the same problem i just got my car 997.2 turbo cab and when i cruise in a sunny day or hot weather a very strong smell of gas fill up the interior and some heat comes out of the interior from the driver side under the steering wheel am really worried about it ....

Old 07-29-2011, 03:09 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Aftermarket exhaust?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Originally Posted by gmoney
Aftermarket exhaust?

I was thinking the exact same thing and specifically Hi-flow cats or catless exhaust.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:13 AM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
no cats will do it

Old 07-30-2011, 07:09 AM
mr.porsche has a spectacular aura aboutmr.porsche has a spectacular aura about
my car is stock 3600km till now

Old 07-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Quantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond repute
Problem with the carbon canister most likely. Bring it back to the dealer.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:35 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
raw fuel

Hey guys...did anyone find out what was wrong in these cases? I have as of late started getting this random gas smell in the cabin. It is intense...like spilling gas all over your shoes and getting in the car. It last 1-2mins and then it disappears for rest of trip (my commute is 35mins long).

Completely stock vehicle. Regular driving at time it happened. May have happened after quick rise and fall of a train track crossing.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:03 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Got this smell today when running the car hard

Old 12-06-2018, 05:45 PM
usrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Arone997tt
no cats will do it
I have had several decatted vehicles (Including my 997.1 TT) and have had no issues with smelling gasoline fumes in the cabin. If you don't have an exhaust leak and your exhaust pipes are exiting at the rear of the vehicle you shouldn't have any issues with hydrocarbons (unburned gasoline) entering your cabin.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:53 PM
usrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by turboslut
Got this smell today when running the car hard
I am new to the P car scene so am not familiar with the engineering schematics of the engine's systems but generally speaking with regards to "new" cars, they have some level of fuel vapor recovery systems. My first thought would be look at that.

Last edited by usrodeo4; 12-06-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:08 AM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
My first thought is exhaust, but something to take seriously. I had a 2003 Ford 250 I decatted and exhaust was pretty strong on start up or sitting at a light. I also had a 1987 farm truck where gas was the last thing I smelled before it caught fire and burned to the ground in the back 40 ....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cabin fills up with smell of gas sometimes???