997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Broken Cam Shaft :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:48 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Broken Cam Shaft :(

Just got word that my left cam shaft timing is off and that the computer can't autocorrect. Supposedly there is some gearing that controls it, so I was told that the camshaft needs to be replaced and that its essentially an engine out job.

Has anyone else had this unfortunate situation happen to them? Does anyone have an estimate on what the parts cost and repair costs?

Car is 4,000 miles out of warranty.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
i never heard any one faced that prob from before !
its very hard to break the camshaft !!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
The error code is that the cam shaft timing is off and the computer can't auto correct, so the way it was explained is that there is some gearing that the camshaft is attached to which allows it to vary and if it can't reset it gets out of sync with the other cam shaft and needs to be replaced.

Anyone have any experience ?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:19 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
its a metal we call it the bone it cant be broken trust me !

Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Jut had to replace a cam sensor one of 2 I'm told, which was throwing some codes and car run like crap.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 AM
dtakenname is on a distinguished road
There are all kinds of gears there.
http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpors.../variocamplus/

Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I had that issue on my BMW but never on the Porsche...

Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm thinking the same thing. I'll just ask them to replace the two camshaft sensors and maybe that can fix the issue, certainly dont want an engine out procedure.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 AM
basupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nice
I believe member Keith Ta had a similar problem. Might want to PM him to see what his symptoms were and his fix for them.

Tim

Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Go to another shop and see what they tell you .... i just find it hard to believe that the cam is actually broken.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:42 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yalmutawa
its a metal we call it the bone it cant be broken trust me !
I've heard of plenty of camshafts being broken in high HP cars..... The engine block is one big, thick, heavy chunk of metal in any car yet you can punch a whole through it without much trouble. Just because it's metal doesn't mean it can't break!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:50 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Let Spencer *** take a look at it for you.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:32 PM
cammm recommended swapping the cam sensors and seeing if the other cam throws an error. Then it would be just a cam sensor problem, shop was backed up today, so hopefully I'll know tomorrow.

Otherwise its the driver's side cam thats throwing the error which isn't the one that's been reported to have issues :/

Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Porsche should do a Goodwill Service on that.. only 4k out but still under warranty for the year i would try to work it out at the dealer.. Maybe slip the Service mgr a little extra $$$..

Mike

Old 03-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Im still hoping that its just a cam sensor thing. Porsche of Hungtington had issues with corp managers because of claiming warranty on work they shouldnt have, so I dunno if its gonna fly.

I dont mind paying out of pocket if its a few bills, but if its engine out service then Im worried.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Broken Cam Shaft :(