997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New to Forum. New to Porsche- making the move ///M...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:10 PM
///M*Hershey will become famous soon enough///M*Hershey will become famous soon enough
New to Forum. New to Porsche- making the move ///M...

<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hello everyone! I couldn't find a "member intro" thread so if this is in the wrong place...(mods please move to appropriate section)...

Anyways, I've been a "///M" guy in the past but now I 'm thinking about making a move to Porsche- call it getting older I guess? Currently in the stable is an E46 M3 and the wife's E60 m5. Love both cars but from what I hear, my move to Porsche is a common one for many after the ///M's??

I'm just getting acquainted with all this Porsche info but I'm divided between going with either an 997 Turbo or 997 GT3. I'm doing the research now and happened to visit a dealer and looked at both cars. There was an '07 GT3 with 7XXX miles & a '07 997 Turbo with 17,XXX miles. Price for both cars were not a big difference but the GT3 was higher by bit. The GT3 caught my eye...& I asked the salesman about it. Immediately he steered me away from the GT3 and towards the Turbo.

Here's where I began to get confused- the salesman literally talked down of the GT3. He swore up and down I would not like the drive as it is much harsher. Ride quality/issue is not a big concern for me but once he mentioned "Your wife might not tolerate it", I thought he might be right. I didn't test drive both cars to compare since I was on a break from work and I wanted my wife to be present during the test drive. We currently have an appointment this Friday night to test drive both cars.

Here's where I need you seasoned Porsche enthusiasts' or current Porsche Gt3 or Turbo owner's opinions or help...

I'm diving into Porsche and want to step up to either the 997 Turbo or the 997 GT3 . Opinions on either car (pro or con) is much appreciated! ANY advice such as maintenance, known issues or problems on these cars is also appreciated!

I hope to meet/see some of you all in future on any meet-ups as I am looking forward to those!

THANKS in advance!

H

Old 05-11-2010, 04:43 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
The Turbo is a true GT Car... softer, less taut, doesn't handle as well as the GT3, BUT.. it has a monster engine, seats 2 adults and 2 children, is comfortable, is quieter and is a better choice for longer trips.. can easily be a daily driver.

The GT3 is louder, less powerful, lighter, LIVES for and NEEDS track days , you can't put children in it and you wouldn't really want to do a LONG trip in it.

It's all relative to your experience and expectations.. I ride my Sport Bike every day, so ANY Car is cushy as far as I am concerned.. Other people find the GT3 WAAAAY too uncompromising, uncomfortable and loud for their tastes.

So, it really comes down to YOUR wants and needs.. Drive both of them back to back and if the Wife is part of the problem, bring her along and ask her opinion... Good luck.. you can't go wrong with either Car.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 PM
///M*Hershey will become famous soon enough///M*Hershey will become famous soon enough
Shilling...thanks for the input. I think that pretty much sums it up right there. Now I see why the salesperson was saying what he said. Leaning to the Turbo now. thank you.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:31 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Extended test drives back to back in various road conditions and speeds, that'll help a lot in making your decision.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:49 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
If you are a track driver a normally aspirated car is the way to go. However the DFi 997S PDK will beat an 07 Gt3 on the street in every comfort zone and on the track. The 2010 Gt3 is really the car to get if the Gt3 is the calling . It won't have the comfort , will make more noise because it's less insulated but it will carve up the roads . The Gt3 is also more exclusive and retains value quite well.

The Turbo is like a sledgehammer . It's very comfortable and can be driven daily. In a straight line it will blow away a Gt3 but it will never drive with the same nimble agility .

So -- between your two choices .. I'd pick the Turbo .
If you are part time track with more street -- 997S PDK new .
If you are just have to have purest Porsche platform for the 911 -- the 2010 Gt3.

BTW --I have an 07 Turbo . a 997S PDK , and an 08 M3.
But I do question why I didn't get the 2010 Gt3 . I would NOT get the 07Gt3 though.

One more thing --
No matter which car you get many who have come out of BMW M cars take a little time to adjust to the rear engine configuration and how it drives . They love it after they get their feet wet .

Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
I would add that since the wife is part of the equation, the TT will be the better choice being a more "civilized" daily driven car, for lack of a better word.

Like everyone mentioned above, get extended back to back drives. Make it a point to drive on a combination of different road surfaces, not just smooth tarmac. Make sure your wife is right there with you.

The choice would then become easy as you would have the direct experience of what both cars feel like. They're both awesome cars, honed for different people/purposes/uses.

I've owned ///Ms before. Also great cars. But, imho, just nowhere near as special as a P.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I must say .. your thread is making me think.
Comparing an 07 Turbo stock (keep in mind that I completely customized mine and that adds cost ) Vs a 2010 Gt3 the decision gets tough .

You would have to get the axle lift if your steets have incline .
Also preferrede but not a definite necessity are the dynamic engine mounts.
If it rains you may need Ps2 Tires because the stock cup tires are not only expensive but may not be street worthy in heavy rain . (keep them for the track ).

This is just too hard to turn down but again I say that the 07 Gt3 is not the one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yeUb2JpCz4

Old 05-11-2010, 10:28 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Taking a GT3 on a long drive would be like having sex for 7 hours straight. At some point you reach the toooo much of a good thing stage. I debated this same thing prior to purchasing my Turbo.
-Getz

Old 05-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by getz
Taking a GT3 on a long drive would be like having sex for 7 hours straight. At some point you reach the toooo much of a good thing stage. I debated this same thing prior to purchasing my Turbo.
-Getz
If he keeps the M3 as a mule --the Gt3 would win .
He'd have the last of the normally aspirated gt1 Gt3 cars and the purest platform for the 997 .

It won't be as comfortable.. but many do drive them daily.
If I had no car and i only had to buy one Porsche .. it would be the 2010 Gt3.

I picked the Turbo in 07 and it was right for that time.
The discounts on PDK cars in 09 were right for that time too.

But this is TODAY .. and he has no Porsche yet.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
If you track more than you drive it on the street, go GT3, otherwise go Turbo. The test drive will tell you why.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
I've have two M3's E36 and E46 both S/C by Dinan. Wanted the Porsche since childhood. The Turbo is a great everyday super car. The power will put a smile on your face daily. Porsche has been fantastic and so far has exceeded my expectation's. If I needed a track car I would consider a GT3 RS . The Turbo will perform just fine at the track for most people who are not hardcore track guys. Go with the Turbo if you want a every day super car that will not break your wallet to drive.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by getz
-Getz

LMAO. your comment surprised the hell out of me but really made me see/realize what you're trying to say.

To everyone else, thanks for the input. I am mos def going to be thinking about all this. Ill keep y'all updated...

Old 05-12-2010, 03:48 AM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
i sold my 08 m5 and went to an 08 TT, you wont be disappointed...the porsche is a superior car to the bmw

Old 05-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Rambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of light
Bought my 09 Turbo about 6 months ago. My first Porsche, after coming from an M6, M5 and M3 as my three previous cars. No comparison. A clear step up. I'm not a track guy and use the cars as daily drivers. The Turbo feels like much more of a sports car than any of the BMW M's, and is great as a daily driver as well (and more reliable than the M's too!). As the other members have said, if track use is very important, GT3, otherwise you'll be more than in pure heaven everyday when you get into your Turbo. Only note of consequence: you'll probably want to change the exhaust on the Turbo after coming from M cars. IMO, the sound of the stock Turbo is the only thing the P car is lacking when compared to the M's.

Enjoy!