997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

[choice] CLK BS vs 997tt vs M6 convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
I don't see how a CLK BL can be faster than a 997TT, specially if you tune it.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:36 AM
tclayj is on a distinguished road
I have a 997tt and a M6 conv. They are totally different cars. I prefer to drive the P car, however, the M6 is a fabulous 2+2. Considering your requirements I would look to the Merc or M6. For solo around town, short trips and the tract I use the 997tt. For trips with the wife, medium commutes over 25-30 miles and business clients I use the M6. The M6 is more of a gentlemans traveler, the 997tt is just fun.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 AM
SpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I don't see how a CLK BL can be faster than a 997TT, specially if you tune it.
Let's just not speak of tuning the 997tt. then the sky is the limit !
bye-bye clk BIG time ;P

Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 AM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
definitely not the M6... CLK BS looks amazing and is definitely more rare. I wouldn't under estimate that car at the track either... 997TT is reliable, faster... you will see many more 997TT in LA than a CLK BS. Really tough choice, if you're going to drive the SH*T out of it, I would go with the porsche...

Old 05-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
The US version of the BS is auto, isn't it? Is the euro sequential?

I remember the BS having an overheated gearbox and returning to the pits in limp mode.

Loading the BS with bucket seats is just close to impossible, of course buckets are an euro option but have seen various retrofitted.

Last edited by Frissen; 05-20-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by buddyg
Nurburgring Times

7:54 Mercedes CLK DTM AMG
7:38 Porsche 911 Turbo

Thats how I figure Brad!

I didn't want to get into Brad's case but...

Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Black997Turbo is a jewel in the roughBlack997Turbo is a jewel in the roughBlack997Turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport
[*]Rare - you will see hundreds of M6's or 997TT's[*]Reliable - it will never be in the shop while you have it[*]Resale - it will hold its value better then the others from this point on[*]Police - it will draw less attention with the MBZ star from the CHP and local police[*]Performance - it will run circles around a 997 (all but GT3RS) on the street or track[*]Traffic - it will be more comfortable in LA traffic than the others

brad
You can guarantee it will never be in the shop?
Sounds like your trying to sell a car to me

Old 05-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Point2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to behold
CLK Black Series is my choice. It's such a rare and special car. Sounds amazing, too.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I have spanked several CLK BS from 30MPH to 140MPH with my 996 TT S Cab. But drving in LA traffic and doing what you want to do with the car, go with the CLK BS.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Point2Point
CLK Black Series is my choice. It's such a rare and special car. Sounds amazing, too.
and looks old already :/

Old 05-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Siglo Man will become famous soon enoughSiglo Man will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Point2Point
IMHO Black series cars are over priced. I drove a few at an AMG event and they were fun but not worth the large premium over the stock model. I had the CLK black for an entire day on the street running around and while it was a huge improvement over the stock AMG I couldn't opt for it over a 997TT.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Siglo Man
IMHO Black series cars are over priced. I drove a few at an AMG event and they were fun but not worth the large premium over the stock model. I had the CLK black for an entire day on the street running around and while it was a huge improvement over the stock AMG I couldn't opt for it over a 997TT.
exactly...

Old 05-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Former Vendor
brad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Black997Turbo
You can guarantee it will never be in the shop?
Sounds like your trying to sell a car to me
Yes, they are very reliable.

We don't sell cars, that is not our business. Just pointing you to one that is very custom and available.

if you are looking for stock, you will save a lot of money over that one though.

As to the track, anyone want to meet me at Willow Springs and place a little wager! They are both fast cars, but the CLK is much more the track set-up car from the factory than the 997TT (we are lucky to have the opportunity to work with both extensively).

You cannot compare the DTM to the BS - different cars same chassis. Like comparing a GT2 to a GT3.

BTW, we have NA BS that make 700+ hp so they take mods very well too!

They are both great cars, but for all the reasons listed above, the CLK is the favored IMHO.

Unless you have actually driven and beat on all of the cars, it may be hard to really understand how good the CLK really is.

Thanks
brad

Old 05-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport

As to the track, anyone want to meet me at Willow Springs and place a little wager! They are both fast cars, but the CLK is much more the track set-up car from the factory than the 997TT (we are lucky to have the opportunity to work with both extensively).

Unless you have actually driven and beat on all of the cars, it may be hard to really understand how good the CLK really is.

Thanks
brad
May be some truth here guys. The Top Gear times set by the stig place the Black ahead of the 997turbo around the test track. See link:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml .The turbo is a very fast road car point to point (probably only very few that are faster) but there are better track tools . I'm sure with the equivalent work to the 997tt's suspension as the Black has had (which makes it a harsh ride for road going by the reviews) then the turbo may well produce a better lap time (like the GT2 does for eg) any way my pick would always be the 997tt any day but each to his own on that. The Benz definately has a bigger boot for luggage, may look a bit dated now too but is still a nice car excepting the very harsh ride its supposed to have so i guess just grit your teeth and wear a kidney belt for those long out of town trips to the ski fields. . Maybe bring a few pain killers too .

Last edited by speed21; 05-21-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:34 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Very different cars:

CLK black very hardcore, rear wheel drive monster for more track time

997TT really fast off line, loud, occasional tracking only, supercar that is comfy enough for longer crusing also

M6 luxury, comfy stealthy big sedanlike coupe, big boot, less seats than sedan

I wouldnt think someone would really try to decide between these cars, they are so very different...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: [choice] CLK BS vs 997tt vs M6 convertible