997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

truth about synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cgng30
yes i agree, i couldnt find mobil1 5w-40 any where around here, where can i get mobil 1 5w-40
60% of my oil purchase come from CostCo. They always change there weight so you never know what they will have. The other 40% from local auto shops.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:14 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by landjet
No, I use 5W50 Mobil 1.

You can buy 5W50 Mobil 1 here:

Mobil 1 5w50 Case of 6 quarts
great price.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:02 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
No, I use 5W50 Mobil 1.

You can buy 5W50 Mobil 1 here:

Mobil 1 5w50 Case of 6 quarts
hmm thats great , its porsche approves as well and a great price, i think i might just go with the 5w-50 then

Old 06-15-2010, 01:22 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
i was just posting to see the feed back, i didnt say mobil 1 was bad or anything , i just wanted to see what you guys thought of this, is it worth it switch to motul 5w-40
Read the title of your topic, "the truth about synthetic oil". You go on to state that "you'll find out that 99% of synthetic oil really isn't synthetic, just processed group III oils like mobil 1 synthetic and castro syntec". I don't believe your statement about M1 is true which why I asked what makes you think it is a group III processed oil?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:36 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TTdude
Read the title of your topic, "the truth about synthetic oil". You go on to state that "you'll find out that 99% of synthetic oil really isn't synthetic, just processed group III oils like mobil 1 synthetic and castro syntec". I don't believe your statement about M1 is true which why I asked what makes you think it is a group III processed oil?
ttdude , please look at my first post , these are not my statements its and excerpt from other forums, i just wanted to see what every body thought. I dont know the answers , hence the title and post.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:42 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
ttdude , please look at my first post , these are not my statements its and excerpt from other forums, i just wanted to see what every body thought. I dont know the answers , hence the title and post.
Sorry misunderstood completely. I thought you were claiming this. Obviously, whoever wrote that is misguided about M1. Castrol yes. In fact M1 sued Castrol over their labeling and marketing tactics of synthetic oil since they were using the cheaper stock variety that you pointed out.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:44 PM
kukri is on a distinguished road
Mobil 1

Old 06-15-2010, 01:52 PM
I also use Mobil 1 in my 2004 S600 Twin Turbo V12. This car also breaks down oil quickly. I change the oil once a year and just had the oil changed. She has 33,000 on her or 5500 miles per year.

The amount of time an oil is in the engine should always be taken into account when changing oil. I never go over a year for the S600 and 6 months on the 996 TT S Cab.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:53 PM
kukri is on a distinguished road
Once a year? I wish I was changing mine that rarely

On a side note do you Porsche folks change your oil every track event for thicker oil as well?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:57 PM
When I first sent in an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for testing I talked to one of their chemists. He told me they don't see much if any difference between any of the various type oils. When I asked him what he used in his car he told me the cheapest stuff he could find.
Hmmm...there's a huge difference between synthetic oil and conventional oil. Makes me wonder what kind of analysis was done for him to say that!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:11 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Hmmm...there's a huge difference between synthetic oil and conventional oil. Makes me wonder what kind of analysis was done for him to say that!
Makes me wonder what kind of car,if any,he is driving

Old 06-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Sorry misunderstood completely. I thought you were claiming this. Obviously, whoever wrote that is misguided about M1. Castrol yes. In fact M1 sued Castrol over their labeling and marketing tactics of synthetic oil since they were using the cheaper stock variety that you pointed out.
no problem, i think i might go with the mobil1 5w-50 which is also approved porsche a40.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:53 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
I was thinking of changing my oil from mobil 1 0w-40 to 5w-40 as i dont drive in the winter, and as i was doing some research on various brands , i came across this. Below is the excerpt from different forums , what do you guys think. i think i am going to go with motul 8100 5w-40?

"
motul x-cess 8100 5w40, its a true synthetic oil with ester based group V basestocks.

castrol german 0w30 is a real synthetic, group IV PAO stocks

most "synthetics" arent synthetic at all. research what you use and you'll find out that 99% of synthetic oil really isnt synthetic, just processed group III oils like mobil 1 synthetic and castro syntec " and they are allowed to call them synthetic as they are highly refined by the court"
True synthetic oil basestocks are vegetable based not petroleum based. motul is a great product.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:34 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
I've just had my car serviced by the respected German tuner closely associated with RUF. They’ve put in Castrol edge. I was panicking at first as I’ve always had mobile 1 and was completely shocked when they’ve told me. However tuner told me mobile 1 is ok for stock cars. (To be fair that’s what Porsche recommends it for). However in his experience once you start tuning cars, mobile 1 cause’s chain slap. WTF? I took his word for it. Also Castrol apparently has leaped forward with the new formula and it’s at the moment said to be a superior oil.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by Terminator
I've just had my car serviced by the respected German tuner closely associated with RUF. They’ve put in Castrol edge. I was panicking at first as I’ve always had mobile 1 and was completely shocked when they’ve told me. However tuner told me mobile 1 is ok for stock cars. (To be fair that’s what Porsche recommends it for). However in his experience once you start tuning cars, mobile 1 cause’s chain slap. WTF? I took his word for it. Also Castrol apparently has leaped forward with the new formula and it’s at the moment said to be a superior oil.
Do not worry too much about this. Just change the oil more frequently than Porsche recomends and protection will be present from any synthetic oil and any weight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: truth about synthetic oil