997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

truth about synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:23 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
I've just had my car serviced by the respected German tuner closely associated with RUF. They’ve put in Castrol edge. I was panicking at first as I’ve always had mobile 1 and was completely shocked when they’ve told me. However tuner told me mobile 1 is ok for stock cars. (To be fair that’s what Porsche recommends it for). However in his experience once you start tuning cars, mobile 1 cause’s chain slap. WTF? I took his word for it. Also Castrol apparently has leaped forward with the new formula and it’s at the moment said to be a superior oil.
Hmmm....you realize Castrol Edge is MB229.3 approved whereas Mobil 1 meets MB229.5 specifications. Porsche recommends 229.5 oils. If there is no reason to switch, why go against what Porsche recommends?

Old 06-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TTdude
Hmmm....you realize Castrol Edge is MB229.3 approved whereas Mobil 1 meets MB229.5 specifications. Porsche recommends 229.5 oils. If there is no reason to switch, why go against what Porsche recommends?
Castrol actually makes a bold claim; 8 times better wear protection than mobile 1. http://www.castroledgeusa.com/

Old 06-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Let's discuss...

Attached Images   

Last edited by Terminator; 06-19-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:00 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Let's discuss...
Over thinking this issue. Frequency is the key! OK, tell me who is leaving oil in the car for more than 5000 miles? If so, be careful especially in the summer months and hot environments.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:03 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Castrol actually makes a bold claim; 8 times better wear protection than mobile 1. http://www.castroledgeusa.com/
That's all marketing mumbo jumbo but it works. Your respected German tuner is probably a Castrol distributor who is getting paid by Castrol. Look at the MB (Mercedes Benz) specification of Castro Edge. It clearly states 229.3. All higher end MB AMGs require oil that meets 229.5. That said, I agree with Robert, frequency is the key.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Castrol_EDGE_0w40.pdf (146.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 06-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by TTdude
That's all marketing mumbo jumbo but it works. Your respected German tuner is probably a Castrol distributor who is getting paid by Castrol. Look at the MB (Mercedes Benz) specification of Castro Edge. It clearly states 229.3. All higher end MB AMGs require oil that meets 229.5. That said, I agree with Robert, frequency is the key.
If I were mobile I would sue their **** off, should it not be true or provable.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:09 PM
If I were mobile I would sue their **** off, should it not be true or provable.
Hah! Mobil 1 did sue them a few years back for their marketing of "synthetic" oil. Castro was using a cheper base stock (not PAO) and calling it "synthetic". Mobil 1 lost because the definition of "synthetic" is pretty broad.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Tim'sNFS is on a distinguished road
Mobil 1 !!!!

I went to a seminar once with some Lotus engineers that designed and tested the LT5 engine in the 1990 thru 1995 (15 years ago) Corvette ZR1's. This question came up and one of the Lotus engineers said " No motor oil to his knowledge has been tested to the extremes with repeated, consistant, results that greatly exceeded all thier expectations. Why would you even consider using something else?" Da!

Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
The true test is to do the following:

Get mobil 1, change oil and run for 2000 miles.
Get other oil, change oil and run for 2000 miles.

Compare t he two arainst a quart that you kept and see which one worked out better for you.