997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

truth about synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:40 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
truth about synthetic oil

I was thinking of changing my oil from mobil 1 0w-40 to 5w-40 as i dont drive in the winter, and as i was doing some research on various brands , i came across this. Below is the excerpt from different forums , what do you guys think. i think i am going to go with motul 8100 5w-40?

"
motul x-cess 8100 5w40, its a true synthetic oil with ester based group V basestocks.

castrol german 0w30 is a real synthetic, group IV PAO stocks

most "synthetics" arent synthetic at all. research what you use and you'll find out that 99% of synthetic oil really isnt synthetic, just processed group III oils like mobil 1 synthetic and castro syntec " and they are allowed to call them synthetic as they are highly refined by the court"

Old 06-14-2010, 11:53 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Ultimately it may not make a lot of difference, but I personally will only use what Porsche has recommended.

Having said that I have used Mobil 1 for all my vehicles (Mercedes - recommended and Nissan's - not preferred) for about 15 yrs.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:23 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
so what is true synthetic? is it something that is chemically produced?

i predict the next trend in oil is ORGANIC...

Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I agree with ruf_turbo. What makes you think that Mobil 1 0W-40 is not 100% PAO stock? Just because you don't drive during the winter doesn't mean you don't get the protection of 0W-40 or that it is less protective than 5W-40. The lighter viscosity means that it is more readily distributed upon cold start-up, regardless of temperature. There also may be a concern mixing PAO stock with ester stock but that is debatable.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:37 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
my advice is stick to the doctor's description
TTDude u disagree i totally agree

Last edited by yalmutawa; 06-15-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
I think that at some point we have to stop second guessing Porsche.
Believe it or not, they do spend time researching stuff like what oil is best suited for their engines.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:13 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
When I first sent in an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for testing I talked to one of their chemists. He told me they don't see much if any difference between any of the various type oils. When I asked him what he used in his car he told me the cheapest stuff he could find.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:26 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
When I first sent in an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for testing I talked to one of their chemists. He told me they don't see much if any difference between any of the various type oils. When I asked him what he used in his car he told me the cheapest stuff he could find.
Larry,
Are you following that chemist's advice yourself?

Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 AM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Ultimately it may not make a lot of difference, but I personally will only use what Porsche has recommended.

Having said that I have used Mobil 1 for all my vehicles (Mercedes - recommended and Nissan's - not preferred) for about 15 yrs.
Please dont get me wrong , i have been using mobil 1 for 15 years as well, i saw the statement and was surprised , thats all

Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by TTdude
I agree with ruf_turbo. What makes you think that Mobil 1 0W-40 is not 100% PAO stock? Just because you don't drive during the winter doesn't mean you don't get the protection of 0W-40 or that it is less protective than 5W-40. The lighter viscosity means that it is more readily distributed upon cold start-up, regardless of temperature. There also may be a concern mixing PAO stock with ester stock but that is debatable.
i was just posting to see the feed back, i didnt say mobil 1 was bad or anything , i just wanted to see what you guys thought of this, is it worth it switch to motul 5w-40

Old 06-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by yalmutawa
my advice is stick to the doctor's description
TTDude u disagree i totally agree
the doctor said i could use motul 8100 or mobil 1, lol the motul 8100 is approved oil by porsche as well

Old 06-15-2010, 09:13 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
As I posted in other threads about oils, changing the oil more frequently is the key to keeping these cars running STRONG. I drive 2000 miles a year and change the oil twice. When I drain the oil it looks worn, not like 1000 miles of driving a Toyota or Honda.

I use Mobil 1 - 0W40, 5W30, 5W40, or 10W40. Makes no difference because I live in So Cal (close to the beach) where the temps range from 50 to 75 -90% of the time.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by robertp
As I posted in other threads about oils, changing the oil more frequently is the key to keeping these cars running STRONG. I drive 2000 miles a year and change the oil twice. When I drain the oil it looks worn, not like 1000 miles of driving a Toyota or Honda.

I use Mobil 1 - 0W40, 5W30, 5W40, or 10W40. Makes no difference because I live in So Cal (close to the beach) where the temps range from 50 to 75 -90% of the time.
yes i agree, i couldnt find mobil1 5w-40 any where around here, where can i get mobil 1 5w-40

Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
I would use the cheapest too if I drove a Toyota.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Larry,
Are you following that chemist's advice yourself?
No, I use 5W50 Mobil 1.

You can buy 5W50 Mobil 1 here:

Mobil 1 5w50 Case of 6 quarts

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: truth about synthetic oil