997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Oil change DIYer help please !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Abby997TT
Thanks Speed21! I will probably redo it since it only takes a few minutes anyways.
No worries! I would. Cheap insurance....just make sure to always smear a thin film of oil lube on the o rings too. Dont do em up dry .

Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by speed21
No worries! I would. Cheap insurance....just make sure to always smear a thin film of oil lube on the o rings too. Dont do em up dry .
Thanks! Much appreciated!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:28 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Sorry,but have you changed only one header?
Yep thats what I did, are you serious,

Originally Posted by Page
Here in the states we have a lot of tracks with left turns. So I guess he needed more power on the driver's side (left side) haha..

I'm sure the picture was taken during the process to compare.
thank you sir for stating what others couldnt imagine rep points for you

Originally Posted by speed21
Youre right!! Verrry odd. I header only.

Hey skand I thought you may have linked him up to that near disaster of yours with the small filter o ring??

As a DIY job it'd definately pay to change it out just to be on the safe side.
another genius

Old 06-22-2010, 08:43 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Abby997TT
Thanks alot PorscheDoc! What's your take on the small o-ring for the filter? Should i get new o-rings and redo the filter?

The o ring on the canister housing? While it should be replaced every time (usually is included with the new filter....on occasion they get left out from the manufacturer), I have been in instances where I had to do filter changes without a new o-ring and I have never had an issue. Unless it is damaged (nicked, etc), you will not have any leaks.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
The o ring on the canister housing? While it should be replaced every time (usually is included with the new filter....on occasion they get left out from the manufacturer), I have been in instances where I had to do filter changes without a new o-ring and I have never had an issue. Unless it is damaged (nicked, etc), you will not have any leaks.

The o-ring that I didn't change out was the smaller one, the larger o-ring came with the filter. In fact I didn't even see it any where when i took the filter off, now I am confused. Is there a smaller o-ring ?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:04 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
There should be a smaller o ring at the end of the filter cap assembly (end of the long stem. I don't change that one but every couple of oil changes. Pick up a couple of spares, and drop it in next time, no biggie.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
There should be a smaller o ring at the end of the filter cap assembly (end of the long stem. I don't change that one but every couple of oil changes. Pick up a couple of spares, and drop it in next time, no biggie.

Cool! Thanks! I didn't even see it when I took the filter out.