997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Modded '08 GT2 or stock '11 TT-S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Greg-TT is a jewel in the roughGreg-TT is a jewel in the roughGreg-TT is a jewel in the roughGreg-TT is a jewel in the rough
Modded '08 GT2 or stock '11 TT-S

Have a big dilemma as I have found two cars that I want but can
only afford one. GT2 is modded and it's got 8K mi on it. It's a
switzer car and makes about 800 at the wheels. The other is just
a stock 997.2 TT-S with all the bells and whistles of the latest 997
iteration.

The car will be driven about 7-8K a year and it will be kept for max
2 yrs. We all know the GT2 is monster in speed but what makes
more sense in terms of $$$ and fun scale?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:23 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Do you prefer manual or PDK? That will make the decision for you.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Greg-TT is a jewel in the roughGreg-TT is a jewel in the roughGreg-TT is a jewel in the roughGreg-TT is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bonehead
Do you prefer manual or PDK? That will make the decision for you.
No real preference on the gearbox so that doesn't help.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:36 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
You already have a GT-R. That is the japanese equal to the Turbo PDK. Go for the GT2 since it will be a much more raw and exhilirating experience. Just my oppinion...good luck!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:58 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Are you going to track it? If so, GT2 is a nobrainer. Also, the 2 has taken its depreciation hit, I wouldn't buy a new TTS personally, I'd wait until it's taken it's first 25-30k hit. Also, are you going to mod the TTS? If so, loss of warranty on the GT2 isn't a selling point in the turbo's favor. If not, I'd keep that in mind, not sure if Switzer provides any warranty on the 800.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I would pass on the modded GT2. If you're only going to keep it a couple of years it makes more sense to get the new car with a warranty. If the GT2 was stock and unmolested it would be a different story.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:35 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AJag
Are you going to track it? If so, GT2 is a nobrainer. Also, the 2 has taken its depreciation hit, I wouldn't buy a new TTS personally, I'd wait until it's taken it's first 25-30k hit. Also, are you going to mod the TTS? If so, loss of warranty on the GT2 isn't a selling point in the turbo's favor. If not, I'd keep that in mind, not sure if Switzer provides any warranty on the 800.
I'd have to drive it on the track before I'd claim that the 800 conversion of the GT2 is ready for the track. The turbos are significantly larger...I'd have to experience the boost threshold and lag before I'd consider picking that car as my dedicated track vehicle.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
TTS, hands down... The GT2 will feel old in comparison, even if it is fast.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 AM
997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all
I was in same situation, i put dawn payment on new TTs but i read here about the capability of the old 997 motor and how it is good for modification ( my gool was modified the car ) also what turn my choise is the fact about the new 998 will hit the market after 2012 so why pay more than $200k for something will be change after 2 years? ( the time when i do my purchase )

Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
You already have a GT-R. That is the japanese equal to the Turbo PDK. Go for the GT2 since it will be a much more raw and exhilirating experience. Just my oppinion...good luck!
Great point. Considering that, I'd take the GT2 in a heartbeat over the TT-S.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 AM
besiktas will become famous soon enoughbesiktas will become famous soon enough
You already have the GTR, why get a same type car? Get the gt2 for a different experience.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned
gt2urbo will become famous soon enoughgt2urbo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
TTS, hands down... The GT2 will feel old in comparison, even if it is fast.
hows that . cause no pdk? thats the point infact id take a 993 tirbo s over 11 turbo s any day of the week and any year to

Old 08-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the opinions... please keep 'em coming

Old 08-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Nico will become famous soon enoughNico will become famous soon enough
Greg, is this the same Switzer GT2 you're referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwFrXbYKI8U

Either way, I would go for the GT2 in this case since it has the complete package in one. Plus we all know that Switzer is one of the better tuners around, with a great reputation. The one thing is that if something goes wrong, they are in Ohio

I think ACG in San Diego would be able to take care of you though.

I know you would mod the PDK if you were to get one. But you're going to spend a lot of time waiting for it while it's in the shop
I think the PDK would be too similar to your GTR.

At least the GT2 is ready to be driven, 6 speed manual, and RWD

Then again, both cars are great stock or not. Glad to see you going the Porsche route again Good luck!

Last edited by Nico; 08-20-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:34 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I have driven 997.2 Turbo PDK, 997.1 Turbo, and GT2.

Unless it's a daily driver: Hands down, no brainer, GT2 for driving experience.
Unless you are going to mod the 997.2's suspension, GT2 will put it to shame with respect to steering feel, suspension feel, and especially cornering. Simply a different class of car.
997.2 Turbo suspension is an improvement over 997.1 Turbo, but it is still a very soft car. More grand touring than sporty. And it's my opinion that handling is more important than straight-line speed. Not that that Switzer GT2 is a slow car by any stretch of imagination.

YMMV with PDK, but although there is no doubt that it's fast in all out driving, it might be on the boring side. This is a dilemma made easy by the fact that you already have a PDK car. So IMHO, outside of financial consideration, unless this is the daily driver, everything points to GT2. It's extremely fast, AND it is up there among the very best in the world with respect to handling.

I agree the Switzer mod makes me hesitate a little bit, even as Switzer has outstanding reputation. What exactly was done to the car? Is it modded to the point that it's beyond the driving capability of some of us and that it doesn't even feel like the same car anymore? Is it still safe? You have to be very careful with this much power in a 2WD car.
But do keep in mind, the ECU flash could easily be reversible. I am envious of your choices. Good luck.

Last edited by cannga; 08-21-2010 at 08:49 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modded '08 GT2 or stock '11 TT-S