997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Boost Recirculation Valves

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:43 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fastlaw
I am by no means an expert.

exactly!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:50 AM
fastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dinorocz
exactly!
are you proud of that rude comment to a partial quote? ad hominem attacks are one of the oldest illogical arguments, plus they're just rude. i doubt you would say something like that to my face. (i dont mean that in a let's fist fight way, i mean it in a socially aware way)

a constructive response that would be appreciated by all reading this thread would include why you do or do not think that the valve is leaking.

Last edited by fastlaw; 09-03-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:54 AM
fastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud of
i should also mention that i am interested in finding out what's going on with these valves. I also purchased a set of Agency Power valves and they are going to be installed next week. If they're not working well, i will not have mine installed. also, my tuner is a little skeptical of them at this point. So, i would appreciate helpful input.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
are you proud of that rude comment? ad hominem attacks are one of the oldest illogical arguments, plus they're just rude. i doubt you would say something like that to my face. (i dont mean that in a let's fist fight way, i mean it in a socially aware way)

a constructive response that would be appreciated by all reading this thread would include why you do or do not think that the valve is leaking.

ok, well sorry if its rude, but dude, for real, if you have no knowledge of it then just ask for me to explain further, because what I said and what you asked are two completely different things.

here is a graph that is very basic, it explains the little dips in boost when you let off the gas and get back on the gas between shifts.

With the new valves these little dips are barely felt. Meaning my boost stays up when I let off the throttle, which is great for the next shift. The boost is already there. Is this a better explanation for you ?

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by dinorocz
ok, well sorry if its rude, but dude, for real, if you have no knowledge of it then just ask for me to explain further, because what I said and what you asked are two completely different things.
Huh? now, i AM an expert in written communication. I have a Doctorate in Jurisprudence, was a law review editor, clerked for a federal judge writing briefs, and have practiced law for many years in cases where i have written extensively and published articles. In my expert opinion, your statement makey no sensy. Plus, where did i say that i have "no knowledge?"

As far as your hand-drawn graph goes, it helps to explain your point as to the retained boost level. However, what i was really wanting to know is why your turbo would feel like it has less boost. Again, I am not an expert, but it seems like maybe the valve is leaking? Or maybe the valve is stuck partially open?

Last edited by fastlaw; 09-03-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:01 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
fastlaw

Don't use them, listen to your tuner.

The OEM are just fine.

I need to swap back to OEM as my tuner recommended.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Huh? now, i AM an expert in written communication. I have a Doctorate in Jurisprudence, was a law review editor, clerked for a federal judge writing briefs, and have practiced law for many years in cases where i have written extensively and published articles. In my expert opinion, your statement makey no sensy. Plus, where did i say that i have "no knowledge?"

As far as your hand-drawn graph goes, it helps to explain your point as to the retained boost level. However, what i was really wanting to know is why your turbo would feel like it has less boost. Again, I am not an expert, but it seems like maybe the valve is leaking? Or maybe the valve is stuck partially open?
ok seeing as though you've listed all your expertise in the written english language, yet you still dont understand me, I suggest you change professions.

I also never said that I am losing boost or have less boast. You are misinterpreting the statement "slingshot feeling" and "linear feeling". However, I figured after showing you in a simple graph the benefits, you would have gotten the idea, yet you still insist on a better explanation. Why not just call Dan at Vivid who sold you the BRV's and ask him to explain it as many times as you like, before you put them on.

Have a good day shakespeare

Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
fastlaw

Don't use them, listen to your tuner.

The OEM are just fine.

I need to swap back to OEM as my tuner recommended.
I hear what your saying and your tuner knows your car the best, however, for my car, this was a great little mod. I do enjoy having the boost levels staying up during shifts.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:36 PM
i dont understand an intelligable sentence and suddenly its me with the communication problem?

"For 'tis the sport to have the enginer
Hoist with his own petard" - William Shakespeare

Old 09-03-2010, 12:41 PM
i coudnt resist posting a jerky post like that. i apologize.
but, i have just called my tuner and told them not to instal the valves.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
bumperpip is on a distinguished road
Ah.....right. fastlaw, dinorocz, billet BRVs, both Evo and AP, are of quite a different design than the plastic Bosch units. The Evo/AP ones cycle faster than Bosch, and make a pronounced "phteew" sound. Enthusiasts tend to like it, others not. While there were many problems with 996tt valves, very few have been seen in 997tt.
The Evolution valves really sound cool. Yes, I occasionally DID put playing cards in my bicycle spokes. Liked that, too.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bumperpip
While there were many problems with 996tt valves, very few have been seen in 997tt.
I think that's an important statement. If memory serves, there was a similar thread about a year ago about problems that occurred AFTER the brv was changed to an aftermarket one. There are plenty of tuners out there and I note with interest that many of them don't recommend changing them. ymmv

Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
The Bogg

Agree many tuners do not recommend after market BRV's and say the stock are just fine.
I am listening to my tuner and going back to OEM BRV.
I am dropping OEM BRV' at my dealers to put them back in along with stock plugs gapped down to .025.

My tuners does not like the the Denso Iridium IK-22's plugs I have on right now, causes misfire at high rpm's.

Last edited by venkatreddytx; 09-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:24 PM
AMR Power is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the ignorance, but I come from a Toyota Supra (MKIV) performance way of thinking (as a former owner).... is a boost recirculation valve the same thing as 'wastegate'? In this case, an internal wastegate? -Thanks for the clarification in advance

Old 09-04-2010, 10:14 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
^No, not a wastegate. The boost recirc valve is a blowoff valve that dumps pressurized air pre-turbo during throttle closure (same thing in theory as the stock BOV config of the MKIV Supra).

Old 09-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
The Bogg

Agree many tuners do not recommend after market BRV's and say the stock are just fine.
I am listening to my tuner and going back to OEM BRV.
I am dropping OEM BRV' at my dealers to put them back in along with stock plugs gapped down to .025.

My tuners does not like the the Denso Iridium IK-22's plugs I have on right now, causes misfire at high rpm's.

My tuner says the same about the Denso Iridium IK-22 plugs. Btw, I have an unused set of Desnso Iridium IK-22 plugs and unused Agency Power BRVs if anyone wants to buy them. send me a PM if interested.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boost Recirculation Valves