997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help pls: How best to turn off TPMS low press alarm, Durametric?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:14 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Help pls: How best to turn off TPMS low press alarm, Durametric?

I am using Pirelli Corsa "cup" tires in my Turbo, and therefore use a lower pressure than recommended for the regular street tires. For example the cold readings would be say 28f/34r for the cup, as opposed to 31/37 with the Michelin PS2. As such, the differential readings are -3/-2.

Problem is TPMS alarm would trigger at -4. So questions are:
1. What's the best way to turn off this alarm permanently? Durametric is the only way? Dealer?
2. I will check again, but I believe there is a second alarm if pressure goes to some bigger number like -8, for flat tire or something like that. When I turn off the low pressure alarm, do I also lose the flat tire alarm?

TIA.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:45 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
I am using Pirelli Corsa "cup" tires in my Turbo, and therefore use a lower pressure than recommended for the regular street tires. For example the cold readings would be say 28f/34r for the cup, as opposed to 31/37 with the Michelin PS2. As such, the differential readings are -3/-2.

Problem is TPMS alarm would trigger at -4. So questions are:
1. What's the best way to turn off this alarm permanently? Durametric is the only way? Dealer?
2. I will check again, but I believe there is a second alarm if pressure goes to some bigger number like -8, for flat tire or something like that. When I turn off the low pressure alarm, do I also lose the flat tire alarm?

TIA.
I know that on my Suburban the dealer can adjust the high pressure warning so when I use high pressure LT tires the alarm doesn't go off - they probably can adjust the low side too...but I've not heard of anyone successfully doing this on the P-car. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:33 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The durametric won't work, tried it. What I did was to 'outsmart' it so to speak. When I got the alarm, I cranked it up to 42 fr/r for a few days, then slowly decreased the pressure, no warning. I run R cups at 29/32 cold, always staying less than a 4 delta. Often at the track I'll really lower my pressure, ~30 hot. The tpms really goes crazy, that's the only thing that works for me. GL

Old 12-16-2010, 05:11 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
You cant lower the thresholds on our cars.
You have to live with it I fear. Also if you kill the alarm, you lose the flat tire alarm too.

I wonder what would happen if you removed the sensors... Perhaps the system would accept no reading and have no alarms.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 PM
TD997TT will become famous soon enough
TPMS can be de-programmed and removed from the on-board menu. My independent shop did this for me, not sure a dealer would do the same. No warnings/problems since. You just have to check your pressures like in the good old days.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:23 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dianic
I wonder what would happen if you removed the sensors... Perhaps the system would accept no reading and have no alarms.
No need to remove the sensors, just have the dealer disable TPMS with PIWIS. I had this done for awhile when I got a new set of wheels that didn't have sensors. I just asked Suncoast to turn it off rather than constantly getting messages.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:56 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Thanks guys for the helpful replies.
Chris yeah I keep mine also at -3, -4. The TPMS alarm is irritating and dangerous because I am afraid it would cause me to ignore other real alams. TD997TT and ruf_turbo, more questions please:

1. When you turn off the alarm, the tire pressure reading still functions and you still have readings of the tire pressure right? The ones that read 33/36, etc.? It's just the alarm signs (exclamation mark and the tire sign) that are not turning on anymore?

2. Similarly, you still have the differential readings right? The ones that read -2, -3, etc.?

3. Obviously, process is easily reversible? TIA

Last edited by cannga; 12-17-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Are you sure? Whenever I changed tire pressure settings (for track duty, driving on the street, different tires, etc), I'd just simply get the TPMS to relearn the new pressure settings. The manual tells you how to do that.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Jason, yes, pretty sure. We're talking about cup tires, which use very low pressure. For example if you now deflate your front tire to 26-27 cold (pressure used in cup tire, for final reading of 32 hot), the alarm will go on regardless of how you reset.

Last edited by cannga; 12-17-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I wasn't aware that was the case here. Disabling the TPMS might be the best option for you then.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks guys for the helpful replies.
Chris yeah I keep mine also at -3, -4. The TPMS alarm is irritating and dangerous because I am afraid it would cause me to ignore other real alams. TD997TT and ruf_turbo, more questions please:

1. When you turn off the alarm, the tire pressure reading still functions and you still have readings of the tire pressure right? The ones that read 33/36, etc.? It's just the alarm signs (exclamation mark and the tire sign) that are not turning on anymore?

2. Similarly, you still have the differential readings right? The ones that read -2, -3, etc.?

3. Obviously, process is easily reversible? TIA
From what I understand when the dealer (if you can convince them to do so) turns off TPMS it disables it entirely so no readings of any sort. It can be turned back on by the dealer but unless you have a very good relationship any time they turn on the PIWIS for changes there's a cost involved.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:46 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
From what I understand when the dealer (if you can convince them to do so) turns off TPMS it disables it entirely so no readings of any sort. It can be turned back on by the dealer but unless you have a very good relationship any time they turn on the PIWIS for changes there's a cost involved.
This is correct. Turn off TPMS and there will be NO readings whatsoever.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:44 AM
^^^Not an option for me then -- too bad. Thanks guys for the help.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Just curious, why did you go with those tires, Can? They're not exactly street orientated but then again you guys don't get that much rain down there. Just be careful when and if it does rain.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks Jason for the warning. Yes I agree with you, I would not use these tires if I live in the Seattle area. They are not meant to be used wet, or cold.

You probably already know, but for others who are interested and wonder why some of us use these things: The cup (aka R compound) tires make an eye opening difference in stickiness. This is especially important as you stiffen the car's suspension. As the car comes into corners with higher and higher speed because of the stiff suspension, the stock tires will start sliding, especially the rear as you power out of corners. I guarantee that the cup tires will make it feel like the hands of God is hold you down. It is an easily noticeable and remarkable difference.

Tire is one of the most significant suspension components, and conveniently the easiest to improve, just a bit costly. My only warning is that they are more appropriate for cars with stiffened suspension -- this is another topic, matching of tire to suspension. And also of course they are dangerous when cold or wet. Drive like a grandma when it's wet: Don't brake in corners, don't speed, be smart and cautious. The best 2 IMHO are either Michelin Cup or Pirelli Corsa, with street rumor that the Pirelli slightly better in the wet. Currently I have Corsa ($2500 for the set I think) but will try the Michelin next; Michelin costs a lot less, I believe.

Last edited by cannga; 12-18-2010 at 09:24 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help pls: How best to turn off TPMS low press alarm, Durametric?