997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Another 68mm Billet VTG Build -- GT2 !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hjacobs2000
Tom,

Pretty soon even you'll be able to pull the engine

hahaha sometimes I'll go back there and try to lend a hand. You should see all the clever tricks they pull just to keep tools out of my hands!

Old 02-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
we're expecting somewhere north of 700whp for this one.
It's go time.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Here's another quick update guys.

Factory clutch and flywheel are out, and in goes the new Sachs setup.

Updates are also posted on our new Champion Motorsport blog....The Werkshop

Old 02-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Slow Down Guys - We have a meeting Wednesday. There is alot more to this build we need to add. PG

Old 03-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Former Vendor
Couple more updates:

68mm Billet Turbos are on and ready to go. In this pic you can really see one of the best things about our billet turbos. They re-use all the factory lines, so installation is a direct bolt-on.

Here's our beautiful carbon plenum with 82mm TB installed:

And here.....The piéce de resistance...

Old 03-02-2011, 04:03 AM
Z06
Z06 is on a distinguished road
Great work thanks for the updates!

Are you going with a single mass flywheel and if so what kind?

If you were going to go lapping with this car at what HP level would the rods become a problem?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
excellent build....and really? only 1.5 hrs for engine out? seriously? wondering because I may do something along these lines soon myself and was thinking it will take me much longer than that. (i do have experience)

again tons of credit to you and your team, you guys have a first class shop!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:28 PM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
All those cars must be very FAST...where can we see some perfromnace data ??? 1/4, 60-130...do u test them on the road at all or only on dyno ???

Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Tom, are you guys dyno tuning remotely with GIAC or putting in a previously developed ECU program?

bob

Old 03-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Z06
Great work thanks for the updates!

Are you going with a single mass flywheel and if so what kind?

If you were going to go lapping with this car at what HP level would the rods become a problem?
Thanks man! We're using an Aasco Motorsports single mass flywheel in this car.

As for power. We're expecting to achieve the same power level with the GT2 as we've done with our previous 68mm builds, but in this case since it's a 6Speed and rear wheel drive, the number to the ground will be higher. On this car we're expecting just over 700 at the wheels.

We have the ability to go way beyond that with this package, as we've seen with testing on our shop 997TT, but we're not comfortable doing that without building the engine.

Originally Posted by dinorocz
excellent build....and really? only 1.5 hrs for engine out? seriously? wondering because I may do something along these lines soon myself and was thinking it will take me much longer than that. (i do have experience)

again tons of credit to you and your team, you guys have a first class shop!
haha...they come out a lot faster then they go back in. Remember, these guys are taking a motor out and putting it back in at least once a week, sometimes more.

thank you for the compliment!

Originally Posted by GT RUS
All those cars must be very FAST...where can we see some perfromnace data ??? 1/4, 60-130...do u test them on the road at all or only on dyno ???
We dyno test the cars for power output, and the do a quick reliability test on the road, but we do not perform 1/4 mile or 60-130 testing. Remember, these are our customers cars, not ours, so we have to be careful.

Originally Posted by bbywu
Tom, are you guys dyno tuning remotely with GIAC or putting in a previously developed ECU program?

bob
Hi Bob, we're using our base 68mm billet turbo file that we developed with our in-house car, and the fine tuning it on the dyno with GIAC remotely for each individual package. On the 997TT cars the file is finalized, we just flash it, do a couple dyno runs to verify performance, and it's good to go. For this GT2 we'll probably do a little bit of customizing with GIAC to achieve the right drivability for the car.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
what kind of TB you are useing ??

kindly could you please give me more info about this TB ?
i think its the the largest TB for the 997.1

Old 03-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
GT3 tb

Old 03-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ysfg35
what kind of TB you are useing ??

kindly could you please give me more info about this TB ?
i think its the the largest TB for the 997.1
We are using the OEM Porsche 82mm throttle body from the GT3.

It's available directly from your Porsche dealer, or we can supply it to you.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Former Vendor
OK, engine's back in and hardware installation is complete. Now it's just time to flash our custom GIAC/CMS 68mm turbo software and see the results. Before we do that, we thought we'd make an interesting comparison between the stock GT2 dyno results and the big turbo package WITHOUT the upgraded software. As you can see, we picked up over 130 WHEEL horsepower from the hardware alone, without any programming! Tq drops off a little bit in the middle of the range due to the factory tq-limiter, but the new GIAC software will take care of that.

I can hardly wait to see what this baby puts down once the flash is installed....stay tuned!!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Thanks man! We're using an Aasco Motorsports single mass flywheel in this car.
Tom, I had asked a few folks on rennlist about the use of a LWFW specifically in the 997GT2 and was told that there were programming issues with the ECU and a lighter flywheel. I had a very similar setup in my 997TT and was surprised to hear this. Are you aware of any issues or are you installing any type of ECU programming changes to use the flywheel? My understanding is that it was more complex of a problem than simply stalling or raising the idle revs, but no one on the other forums was able to elaborate.

- bob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another 68mm Billet VTG Build -- GT2 !!