997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Do your RPM's ever spike on the odd start up? The Cure is here!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:06 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Damn, all of sudden mine is doing this as well. Happened twice this week. Any chance I can get the tab number or anything for my dealer.

Thanks

Old 03-26-2011, 09:27 PM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
pm the TSB

My car does the same and it drives me crazy

Old 03-27-2011, 02:08 AM
Bratman is on a distinguished road
RPM Spike on start up

Could you please email or PM me a copy of the TSB and/or the TSB #? Mine does this occasionally. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Bratman
Could you please email or PM me a copy of the TSB and/or the TSB #? Mine does this occasionally. Thanks.
Pls PM me with the info too. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:03 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
+1 Could you please PM me the TSB# as well, Thanks a lot.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
pm me the tsb please, mine does it!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:51 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I worry that the "fix" might be worse than the problem. It happens so infrequently and randomly for me that I hestiate to have the transmission dropped for this. So far no leaks and car runs fine. I'll wait until it's time for a clutch.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:15 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I worry that the "fix" might be worse than the problem. It happens so infrequently and randomly for me that I hestiate to have the transmission dropped for this. So far no leaks and car runs fine. I'll wait until it's time for a clutch.
I totally agree. Now, I need a tune so I can use up rest of my clutch

Old 03-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Pms sent guys.

Jhb you are right the fix can (and will) hurt the hip pocket....but the fix definately does "fix" it....if thats any consolation .

And sbkim, i agree you "need" to get a tune, that way you will fry the clutch....but you'll be so glad you did even though your wallet wont appreciate it. Even though the car drives great with the stock tune and the right exhaust, with a "tune" its just plain ridiculous.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:22 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Stephen from IA once described a completely different reason for the start-up rpm spike that had to do with a defective engine coolant temp sensor. The sensor would register the wrong temp which told the ECU to add too much fuel for a cold start.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
Stephen from IA once described a completely different reason for the start-up rpm spike that had to do with a defective engine coolant temp sensor. The sensor would register the wrong temp which told the ECU to add too much fuel for a cold start.
Porsche technical have evidently established the incorrectly positioned crank sensor as being the usual/main cause of this symptom.

Not saying a defective engine coolant temp sensor wont cause it as i know from my own experience that an 02 sensor thats not fully snap locked will also cause a spike but i believe these situations are the rare exception...and not the rule. And will usually show up on the fault codes or throw a cel at one point whereas this problem won't. Did Stephen from( IA? ) post details? If so can you please link it for a read.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
At first I thought the problem was temperature-related but after having experienced lots of cold starts in Colorado, I've never had the rpm spike to 3,000 rpms on a cold start, ususally 1,800 - 2,000. I typically get the 3,000 spike when the engine takes one more revolution to start which has made think the problem is more of a crank sensor issue. It happens so randomly for me but never with a hot engine so who knows the real culprit.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:34 AM
bijan will become famous soon enoughbijan will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by speed21
Hi fellow 997tt Members.

I started a thread on this a while back now asking you guys for advice about this very problem so now that i'm aware there is actually a fix, and this is a genuine problem and, "not normal", I wish to advise all those 997 owners out there that may be curious whats causing this rev up in their cars....and how to fix it.

There is a reason behind everything.

The exact cause of this problem is an incorrect gap between the the crank sensor and the passing marker....as it rotates past. The sensor is not set correctly within the specified tolerance. Evidently an inherent assembly issue.

As you may know the ecu must read and compute all sensors the moment the ignition key is turned and the starter motor begins to rotate the crankshaft. Voltage levels won't reach system requirements until the engine actually "fires up" so when the voltage is slightly down, as it often is after a period of being stationary, the sensor struggles to register the marker due to the incorrect gapping. (Like a spark plug which is incorrectly gapped too wide, more current is required to bridge the gap).

These occasions of "spiking" and, the frequency of these "rev up" spikes are often determined by how far away the marker is from the sensor after the engine is switched off. A weaker battery can also add to this problem.

For eg. If the marker has rotated just passed the sensor after the engine has stopped rotating, then upon restart, the starter motor must rotate the crank further for the marker to come back around past the sensor again to be registered. So, if the sensor is unable to read the marker due to incorrect gap (combined with the normal slightly lower voltage) the engine may sometimes continue to rotate without starting until the ECU is able to determine a start up ignition environment. The weaker the power the more rotations are likely to occur but once the ECU allows ignition the engine will fire up, the revs will momentarily spike, voltage is then restored to correct levels and then the ECU re registers the correct position of the crank sensor returning the rpm to correct idle speed.....all happening within a split second.

Now to the fix. And, some may not like it. Gearbox must come off to access the sensor.....adjust sensor so it is gapped within the specified tolerance....gearbox back on again etc. IMO its probably best to do this when doing your clutch. You (may) be able to get P to fix it if it is happening ALL the time but that may very well depend on how far out of warranty you are, and the relationship you have with your dealer. Some cars can be worse than others and this is usually determined by just how far out of tolerance the sensor was installed to begin with....along with other factors such as the battery strength and condition. Its just a guess, but i think P figures that unless the problem is going to cause engine failure within warranty then they have little motivation to go to the trouble and expense of fixing it. The cure isn't that old so most dealers may not be aware of it.....although i am privy to the TSB number.

Hope this helps to settle this concern once and for all
Please pm me the TSB. Mine all of a sudden started doing this randomly about a month ago.
Thanks!

Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
a new battery solved 95% of it for me. I can deal with it once a month or so.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by bijan
Please pm me the TSB. Mine all of a sudden started doing this randomly about a month ago.
Thanks!
I think xseal has a point with your battery being on the weak side.

The sensor is fixed (doesnt move or wear as such) so with this rev spike fault you should have experienced it well before now if it was the culprit....assuming your car is a few years old and has never done it before. However if the sensor is set on the max or beyond the max tolerance the revs will spike from time to time regardless whether the battery is new or not. The fix is to correct the sensor position so it is within tolerance.

If its never done it up till now then in your case it may be something else. Id check that out first before hassling the dealer with this technical report.

Originally Posted by xseal
a new battery solved 95% of it for me. I can deal with it once a month or so.
Desirably it wouldnt do it at all however I suspect that if the sensor is set on the outer extremity of the tolerance i agree a weak battery will make the occurances more regular. A new battery will logically make the problem not so frequent as the stronger current will allow the sensor to read most of the time on start up.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Do your RPM's ever spike on the odd start up? The Cure is here!