997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Do your RPM's ever spike on the odd start up? The Cure is here!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:55 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
turn key to ignition on position and wait 30 seconds before firing ignition...
no more problems.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 AM
csman is on a distinguished road
sorry restart a dead thread, but thought someone might benefit from what I have found on this topic. I tried all the tips on this thread to avoid the rev flare without 100 percent success, including leaving the ignition on for 30 seconds etc. I have now been trying something for a month that has worked without fail (which is great as my car used to flare almost every time it started from cold).
All that was required was to turn on the ignition, depress the gas pedal to the floor briefly and release it (takes no more tha n 2 seconds), and then start the car normally.

hope this helps someone else who is still struggling with this issue and doesnt want the expensive repair option.

Last edited by csman; 12-28-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Spatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to behold
Please PM me the TSB.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
Hey Speed21,

How about PM'ing me the tech info too, please?

You can see from his info that he's "banned" so you probably won't hear from him on this forum. He is over at Rennlist though.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:35 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
can someone pm the tsb as the OP is banned? tks

Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by csman
sorry restart a dead thread, but thought someone might benefit from what I have found on this topic. I tried all the tips on this thread to avoid the rev flare without 100 percent success, including leaving the ignition on for 30 seconds etc. I have now been trying something for a month that has worked without fail (which is great as my car used to flare almost every time it started from cold).
All that was required was to turn on the ignition, depress the gas pedal to the floor briefly and release it (takes no more tha n 2 seconds), and then start the car normally.

hope this helps someone else who is still struggling with this issue and doesnt want the expensive repair option.
My rpm surge on start occurs randomly so I thought I'd try your solution. While my results may not be statistcally valid, your solution seemed to work...that is until my start yesterday when I got the surge to 3000 rpm on a cold start. Looks like the only real solution is what Speed21 identified in the very first post of this thread.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM
nevert00fast will become famous soon enoughnevert00fast will become famous soon enough
FWIW, I had the TSB done while the car was under warranty and the issue went away for a while. Now it's back and the car is out of factory warranty and the extended warranty company(fidelity) won't pay for adjustments. So the dealership has to prove that the sensor is physically defective but can't do so when the issue occurs so randomly. Porsche NA didn't really have an answer on why the adjustment didn't work the first time.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM
csman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
My rpm surge on start occurs randomly so I thought I'd try your solution. While my results may not be statistcally valid, your solution seemed to work...that is until my start yesterday when I got the surge to 3000 rpm on a cold start. Looks like the only real solution is what Speed21 identified in the very first post of this thread.
Sorry to hear that, I'm still having 100% success so this may only be applicable to some cars. With me it was so regular that I really hated starting the car every time as only 1 out of 10 would not rev flare from cold. Now it still has not flared after 20 or 30 cold start ups.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:07 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
stickey

Old 03-26-2013, 05:28 PM
piderman will become famous soon enough
Purchased my 997T a few days ago. Mine did that today and I thought it was odd but has never done it before. Odd to see its common, doesnt sounds like a big problem though.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Spatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to behold
Please pm me the TSB.

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 AM
My dealer (both SA and Tech) didnt have any knowledge of the engine Spike.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 AM
kir
kir is on a distinguished road
If someone could PM me the TSB I would appreciate it, thanks!

Old 10-30-2013, 06:26 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Mine does this sometimes I also see random errors with durametric all complaining about voltage, guess my battery is dying...

Old 10-30-2013, 06:29 AM
AFAIK battery has no impact on rpm surge issue. I've had it happen with 3 year old battery and with a 3 hour old battery.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Do your RPM's ever spike on the odd start up? The Cure is here!