997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Mobridge Bluetooth & Ipod: Actual Users' Experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:06 AM
prglewis is on a distinguished road
@ Cartronics - thanks v much for your time on the phone, I'm going to try all of the suggestions and post my results. End of the month!

@ djben - thanks for the link. Seeing as coding the CD changer out has to be done by a dealer, I'll leave that part for now and focus on the noise. One step at a time! Thanks for the link though, will def come in handy later.

@ Eric - I didn't get mine installed on the cheap, I took it to a pro shop recommended by mobridge. I am getting post-installation support, and even the mobridge reps came and had a look at my car when they were in town one time. Problem persists! Anyway, I'll keep you guys up to date.

Cheers!
Paul

Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by prglewis
@ Cartronics - thanks v much for your time on the phone, I'm going to try all of the suggestions and post my results. End of the month!

@ djben - thanks for the link. Seeing as coding the CD changer out has to be done by a dealer, I'll leave that part for now and focus on the noise. One step at a time! Thanks for the link though, will def come in handy later.

@ Eric - I didn't get mine installed on the cheap, I took it to a pro shop recommended by mobridge. I am getting post-installation support, and even the mobridge reps came and had a look at my car when they were in town one time. Problem persists! Anyway, I'll keep you guys up to date.

Cheers!
Paul
Hi Paul, thanks for showing up on this thread . I would really appreciate an update on your problem; please post the result.
Scott/Cartronics: thanks for your input. Your help is great!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:40 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Just an update on the clicking noise issue: I PM'ed a couple of people in this thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pressions.html and specifically asked if they have the clicking noise problem in their Mobridge.

2 people replied and both confirmed with certainty that they do not have the noise problem. I've looked at a few other Mobridge threads and it does seem like this clicking noise is isolated to the few cases reported here.

I do plan to go ahead with Mobridge (from Cartronics - Scott has been very helpful). Planning to use Audio 2000 in West LA - anyone has experience to report with this installer? TIA

Old 10-16-2011, 12:55 AM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cartronics
Another UPDATE on this issue. I was able to replicate this problem on an older PCM. It turns out it was the capacitors in the PCM power supply. The sound was noticeable on the mObridge input, only because the mObridge is so quiet. It was actually there on FM too, but simply masked by the over noise level of the radio. The capacitors had simply began to dry out and not doing the job anymore. Replacement of the capacitors fixed the clicking (beeping) noise. The noise corresponded to the clock pulsing. The PCM we had, had come from a car in Phoenix. I suspect, cars in really hot climates are more susceptible to this problem with age. Although we have only heard of a couple of people with this issue, I worked pretty hard on it, and was very lucky to have the old PCM laying around here that ended up exhibiting the same issue.
So bottom line, it is simply an aging power supply in the PCM that creates the problem. The mObridge only makes the problem more apparent because it is doing its job with clean sound. This has only been reported to us by two clients (neither were our clients initially, but we have been attempting to assist), so it is a very rare issue indeed.

Sorry I have not posted my findings sooner...been crazy busy.... Cannga's post reminded me to do it.
hmmmm... Buy used PCM on ebay, swap with existing PCM, ensure problem is fixed, proceed to sell old PCM on ebay? Not the most appealing fix in the world but it's at least an option once I'm ready to sink more time/money into fixing the static problem.

Great to hear you guys did some digging to get to the bottom of the issue.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:10 AM
NBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really nice
I have a mObridge in a 996 and have nothing but problems with the bluetooth. When I drive through a bad signal area the phone drops out (3G) and when this happens the mObridge also drops out but when the phone restores its signal the mObridge doesn't update and it bricks its connection to the phone. and simply won't respond to the phones signals and you can't dial a number etc.

Another problem (which fixes the first one above) is that it randomly reboots and says "loading CD" which is as though the power is cut to the device and then it works again.

I had a custom power lead/optic loop built for mine by the Australian mObridge dealer so I did not have to splice in to any wires keeping my car stock if I want to pull it out.
http://www.pistonheads.com/xforums/t...20to%20a%20996?

See the rest of my issues here:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...8&t=962625&nmt=

Last edited by NBTBRV8; 10-18-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 AM
SVTHorsnake will become famous soon enoughSVTHorsnake will become famous soon enough
You would tap the constant 12V power on the back of the PCM. Our units include all the necessary clips and items to do so. We do have exact instructions on what to do.
Anyone you recommend for a proper install in or around Salt Lake City?

Old 10-18-2011, 01:20 PM
NBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really nice
I will humbly say ..WHAT!!!!! ... immediately take it back and get it exchanged or reprogrammed. I have sold thousands of mObridge and do most of North American support and programming and can safely say I have never heard of that in my life. In the US our units come with simple taps that require no cutting or spicing or custom anything. I can say the mic location is terrible. It will mess with your voice quality a lot.
I would question the harness possibly. It looks nice, but it may be the problem. The mObridge MUST have constant power (not ignition), and some of your complaints sound like it may be on ignition.
Take a look at our videos for help....
I have updated the software (bootstrap 1.0.7, App 1.9.4 and bt 3.12) but to no real avail. The thing doesn't have any warranty so I am loathed to spend another $700 without proof that the second unit will be any better than the first.

So I am stuck and as a consequence warn people about the devices when topics come up like this.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Honestly, I don't think anything is wrong with the mObridge. We have dealt with over 12,000 installations as of last summer and your problem sounds like an installation issue. The mObridge works flawlessly when installed properly.
I would do according to our install instructions (not the factory, as we have much more real world experience). Have your installer (or you) contact us directly at our tech support/sales line at 678-528-3443. I am sure with little effort we can make it work perfectly.
I did the install myself withe the dealer's cutom loom. Can you give me the link or details on your instaal guide. PM me if need be.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2011, 01:45 AM
drvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the rough
I have a mObridge bluetooth + ipod in the TT and the Boxster... both have the miss installed near the A pillar... no major complaints from the other end... the iPod interface via the PCM2 is the only annoying part... but that is because the mObridge has to mimic a CD stacker in order to function correctly.... if Porsche updated the firmware.... oh wait, that will never happen...

drvik

Old 10-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Another UPDATE on this issue. I was able to replicate this problem on an older PCM. It turns out it was the capacitors in the PCM power supply...
Sorry I have not posted my findings sooner...been crazy busy.... Cannga's post reminded me to do it.
Scott, thanks for the follow up and excellent post-sales support, even though some of us didn't buy it from you :-). I felt it only fair to post "normal" findings from other users since I sort of opened the can.

I have a few questions please:
1. Is there anyway to hook up Mobridge Ipod interface without disabling my CD changer in front trunk? If not, why is it necessary?
2. What are the problems if I don't disable the CD changer?
3. Who disables this, the installer or my Porsche dealer? Can I disable it myself with Durametric or other cheapie OBD readers?
4. Some people have complained about the awkward Ipod interface - but this problem is not limited to Mobridge right? All after-market units behave the same way? TIA

Last edited by cannga; 10-22-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:31 AM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Or just have an electronics shop replace the caps. In our unit is was only 5 of them that tested marginal. A grand total of about $18 in parts. Of course a bit of labor (1.5 hours), but not that bad.
Shouldn't I hear this noise from CDs that I played in my CD changer then? No matter how loud I put up my music I don't ever recall hearing this static. Maybe it has the internal hardware to cut out the noise?

Going to call an electronics store tomorrow to talk to them about my CD changer and see what they can do.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:55 AM
3. Who disables this, the installer or my Porsche dealer? Can I disable it myself with Durametric or other cheapie OBD readers?
You only need to put the included bypass loop on the changer plug.
So it seems process is easily reversible?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 PM
A follow up: I bought the Mobridge bluetooth + Ipod kit from Cartronics and have it installed by one of the recommended installer.

The bluetooth-phone function: a perfect 10 with my Samsung Epic Android phone. The sound I hear in car is perfect. The sound on the other end is perfect. The address book transfer is perfect and keeps updating. There is no drop-off at the beginning of a phone call. The sound quality is the equal of my wife's Lexus's OEM Bluetooth for example. I wish I had done this sooner.
Per recommendation of various people (thanks), I have the mic at the A pillar, and I believe this is one of the keys to the great sound quality.

Ipod function: Disappointingly, yes I could confirm with certainty that there is a beep noise every one second as has been reported by others. You could hear this during quiet passage between songs and *if* you crank the volume up. Because I am a very nutty and seasoned audiophile, I think you could trust me that there is this problem with the Mobridge, at least in my car. I might try a different Ipod of different generations and see if this problem persists.
I was aware and suspicious of this problem, and initially was not going to install it since I am really more interested in the bluetooth function, but noting that bluetooth alone is $800, and Ipod only adds $100, I decided to give it a try.

If this bothers me enough, I might buy the Dension Ipod kit - could I mix Mobridge bluetooth phone kit with Dension Ipod kit?

Last edited by cannga; 02-08-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM
This is NOT a problem with the iPod kit. It is a problem with the car ECU and PCM radiation. We have found a quick solution to it though.... We use foil EMI tape and wrap the iPod cable where it runs close to the PCM and tunnel. This shields it from the strong radiation that the iPod cable picks up (notice you don't hear it while on Bluetooth). This means it is being transmitted outside the mObridge and being picked up by the cable.
1. Where could I buy this EMI foil tape and, better, could you send me a piece please? As mentioned, I bought the kit in December 2011 from Cartronics.

2. Which cable are you talking about? The one that goes from the Ipod to the Mobridge box? Just wrap around in one layer where the cable is behind the PCM? Sound like something I could do myself?

Thank you.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:56 PM
The installer should have some, and it is a bit of an experiment while in the car. Type EMI tape into Amazon for more info. It all depends on how and where the installer routed the cable. It simply needs to be shielded from the high output EMI signals the car ECU and sometimes leaky caps in the PCM cause.
It is hard to send a piece of the tape, as you attach to the mObridge or PCM and extend as a wrap as necessary. It would not ship well at all off the roll.
1. May I ask why is it that another Ipod kit like the Dension doesn't have to have this shielding done? I am asking merely because before I spend time trying to fix this, I would like to understand it clearly, and that it actually will work.

2. I type "emi tape" into Amazon, and this is what I got: Emi Tape at Amazon. So let me ask this way: what exactly brand and type of emi tape did you use? Thanks!

Last edited by cannga; 02-10-2012 at 09:34 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mobridge Bluetooth & Ipod: Actual Users' Experience?