997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Mobridge Bluetooth & Ipod: Actual Users' Experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:17 PM
mcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Cartronics
The beep is from the Aux or iPod cable routing. As with all automotive cabling, care must be given to the routing of wires and cables so that noise from other sources is not picked up. It does not sound like this unit was purchased from us, nor were our installation instructions followed. Also, all mObridge are not created equal. We actually do a lot of programming for them, and make sure the proper cables (heavy shielding) are included in the box. Discounters have been known to throw whatever is cheapest in the box.

Again, we have over 7000 units installed in Porsche, and NOT ONE INSTALL that was purchased from us has any issue at all. We make sure of it. Our return rate is .01%. So the math is 7000 units installed x .001 = 7 units. I know without any shadow of a doubt that nobody else can claim this.

Unfortunately there are several sellers of mObridge that really know very little about the Porsche, the MOST fiber optics, and all the do's an don'ts - We enjoy our reputation for a reason - we know about everything there is to know about this topic.
Cartronics did my kit i ordered go out yet?? Bluetooth,iPod,sat ??? thanks JOE

Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
The Dension does require it depending on installation method and vehicle noise. There is a local installer here who installs Dension, and we have been fixing the same problem when the customer comes to us. It really all depends on how the unit is installed and location of the cable and the amount of noise the ECU is putting out. Some Porsche are quiet as a mouse, some are REALLY loud. You can get by without the tape in 90% of installation if iPod cable routing and mObridge box location are carefully monitored.

We include several extras in the iTronic kit including a roll of this tape when needed. TheiTronic costs more due to the extras included, but the mObridge kit is for the pro installer, who would have items like this on hand and should take care to fix it up right. Is it possible for you to take it to the installer?

Source this tape and it will work like a charm: You may be able to find the shorter rolls too - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00011Q1O2/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details
The Dension Ipod might have the noise problem in other cars, but I don't recall ever seeing it reported with 997 on public forums, am I wrong? Unless I see evidence otherwise, I am suspecting that at least for some Porsche 997's, the beeping noise is Mobridge specific. Either way, as it is, I wouldn't recommend this Ipod kit. It should really come with clear warning about the necessity of "wire placement experimentation" and with the wire pre-wrapped in emi tape.

I don't mind taking to the installer regarding the tape but because audio noise problem could be so tricky, I would like to use the exact part you use. Considering that this thread has been going on for 5 plus months and the beeping noise was reported from the very beginning, and my several PM's to Scott up until recently, it is annoying that I am just now told of this emi tape fix, and will have to take my car back to the installer for "experimenting" of wire placement. Hunting and fixing noise problem in audio as you know is no laughing matter and neither the labor or my time is free.

I did buy the itronic kit from the Cartronics web site (itronic, mobridge, cartronics - so confusing) - it seems to say "everything included" http://www.cartronics.com/Porsche.html, but obviously the emi tape is missing. Would you please talk to Scott and see if you could send me a small portion of this tape ASAP? I bought this kit brand new not too long ago, asked several questions and was assured nothing special I need to do, and used recommended installer. Having done everything that Cartronics asked me to do, I don't like to spend another $50 for a roll of tape that should have been included in the kit in the first place. Thanks.

Last edited by cannga; 02-13-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
My experience

I had the exact unit installed and it was, just ok. It worked fine but there was a limited number of phone numbers you could install and the iPod interface worked but wasn't very convenient to use. You have to keep in mind this unit is trying to "trick" the Porsche audio system to think it is part of it when in fact it is not so while it works it doesn't do it seamlessly. It works, and I'm not knocking it, but you can do better.

What I didn't know at the time when I had it installed is that for a few more $ you can make a HUGE jump up to a new fully seamless and state of the art ipod and (touch screen) audio-navigation system (that you can update) from Pionneer (AVIC Z110BT). The Mobridrige is a good option but if have a bit more in your budget check out the Pioneer (it has tons of options including hidden CD and memory card) system. It doesn't try to trick anything since it replaces the P unit but without losing all the functions you have one your steering wheel (e.g. oil check, tire, setting options). BUT, if you go this route you will probably want a new amp and speakers - this may be a downside).

This is just information and like a lot of things it depends on your interests and budget at the time. The Mobridge unit works - just wanted to give other options to work with.

Keep us posted on your decision. Good luck and enjoy whatever you get.
K

Old 02-19-2012, 05:17 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Update - I spoke to Scott at Cartronics over the phone and was told the followings (more or less, Scott please correct as needed): Yes the beep does exist and there are two ways to skin the cat, depending on how old your car is.
1. If your 997 is old, problem might be from old capacitors leaking noise.
2. Mine is a 2008 car, so the capacitors should be ok. Scott suggested to move the Mobridge out from behind the PCM to a spot right behind the front passenger wheel well. The reason is that there is higher EMI radiation in that area behind the PCM.
3. Wrap the Ipod cable with EMI tape as suggested above.

Bottom line: the fix #2 didn't work. I suspect part of the problems is that the Ipod analog voltage output is low, so you have to turn the gain (volume control) on higher than you would with the other sources (cd, FM/AM radio). As you turn the volume higher, the beep becomes more obvious.

The next step perhaps would be to try to wrap EMI tape around the cables as suggested above (which cables?), but I don't know if this is going to work as my cable is now not close to anything that emits EMI. Any comment, Scott/Cartronics?
(BTW, the Mobrige bluetooth phone function is *perfect* and I could not recommend it highly enough.)

Last edited by cannga; 02-19-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 AM
Ahhh, if your gain is low, we can generally turn up the gain. If you have access to a SD card of 1GB in capacity or lower - give Scott a call. He can do some tuning for you. Otherwise the EMI will always fix the problem - but if you are correct, the only reason you hear it is because you are having to boost your volume above normal levels.
The gain is only part of the problem, and an explanation of why the beep could be heard by some and not others.
The *real*issue to me is still where that beep with the Mobridge Ipod comes from and whether it could be eliminated.

I don't want to spend $50 for a big 36 yard roll of EMI tape - I am asking if Scott (or you) could send or sell me a smaller portion. Which cable do you wrap, the Ipod cable only, or every wire and cable that connects to the Mobridge? Should I wrap the Mobridge itself? Thanks.

Last edited by cannga; 02-19-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:08 AM
I won't be in the office for a while, but I can attempt to send you some from my tech kit - if it will make it. Email our site and send me your name and address. We check this site on mobile devices and it is not the best way to communicate with us. Email sent through our own company site is always the best way = and gets distributed properly.
From this site http://www.cartronics.com/Supportphone.html, the email I was provided with is this ***@***. I sent my name and address there - is that correct and could you please confirm that you have received it?

Which cable do you wrap?

Last edited by cannga; 02-19-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Kafka997
I had the exact unit installed and it was, just ok. It worked fine but there was a limited number of phone numbers you could install and the iPod interface worked but wasn't very convenient to use. You have to keep in mind this unit is trying to "trick" the Porsche audio system to think it is part of it when in fact it is not so while it works it doesn't do it seamlessly. It works, and I'm not knocking it, but you can do better.
Kafka thanks. My way around the phone number limitation is to put the letter "a" in front of contact names that I use most often. For example, instead of "Pine Tree Korean BBQ Restaurant", it's "a Pine Tree Korean BBQ Restaurant". The Mobridge unit loads I believe 150 phone numbers , and since all the important ones start with a, I see them all.
I use gmail address book and the integration with my Samsung Epic Android phone and the Mobridge in the Porschre is fully automatic - true perfection.

Really, for an after-market system, I cannot recommend the Mobridge bluetooth phone system highly enough. Pairing with the Samsung Epic, the voice quality is good enough that the other day someone actually recognized my voice before I said who I was. Keep in mind my car is not just a regular Turbo; it has an aggressive sounding exhaust system, not exactly a phone-friendly environment.

Scott/Mobridge, I fixed the email link. Sorry.

Last edited by cannga; 02-19-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
It has come to our attention that the owner of Cartronics may have passed away. We are still trying to confirm this, but there are several posts on Cartronics Facebook from family members stating Brian Adams, owner of Cartronics, passed away March 8th.

If true, please join me in expressing our condolences to the family.

For those members who have outstanding orders, we would recommend that you contact your credit card companies to determine the next course of action.

I do not wish to close this thread as it is a source of information but please do not address any comments to Cartronics

Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 AM
My condolences to the family.

Does anyone (mod?) know if Mobridge and Cartronics are one and the same? Or is Cartronics simply a dealer for Mobridge? I love the phone function of Mobridge (sound quality and functionality almost like OEM) - it would be too bad if it's no longer available.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cannga
My condolences to the family.

Does anyone (mod?) know if Mobridge and Cartronics are one and the same? Or is Cartronics simply a dealer for Mobridge? I love the phone function of Mobridge (sound quality and functionality almost like OEM) - it would be too bad if it's no longer available.
Different companies, Cartronics is just a dealer. Doesn't look like mObridge is going anywhere.

http://www.mobridge.us/content/company

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-22-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: active link to a commercial non-sponsor
Old 04-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Update - I spoke to Scott at Cartronics over the phone and was told the followings (more or less, Scott please correct as needed): Yes the beep does exist and there are two ways to skin the cat, depending on how old your car is.
1. If your 997 is old, problem might be from old capacitors leaking noise.
2. Mine is a 2008 car, so the capacitors should be ok. Scott suggested to move the Mobridge out from behind the PCM to a spot right behind the front passenger wheel well. The reason is that there is higher EMI radiation in that area behind the PCM.
3. Wrap the Ipod cable with EMI tape as suggested above.
Cartronics was nice enough to send me the EMI tape to try. Unfortunately, it did not solve the beeping noise problem. I have now tried all the suggested methods and none has worked.The only reason I am not too upset is that the Ipod function only adds $100 to the approx. $700 phone Bluetooth unit, which works to perfection. It has allowed me to use the Ipod, and I love this a lot more than I thought I would. But bottom line is this MoBridge Ipod unit is not ready for prime time IMHO.

To be fair, the beeping noise is only obvious if you crank up the music really loud, and particularly if you listen to classical music a lot. Classical music has many quiet periods where say a single instrument like violin is playing, and here you WILL here the noise. Because I listen to classical music and jazz quite a bit, the noise is problematic. (For the audiophiles here: I recorded my precious Mercury and Living Presence, and jazz LP's to the Ipod, and play the Ipod from there. The beeping noise is particularly bad when the needle is in the groove before music comes in.)
To be fair, my car has the world famous Cargraphic exhaust, the loud system. The loud exhaust means I have to crank up the volume, and when you crank up the volume, the beeping noise is worse.

I believe that the noise is inherent with MoBridge. The only questions for me now are:
1. Does the most obvious competing Ipod unit, Dension, has the same problem?
And,
2. Could I mix Dension Ipod with MoBridge Phone?

I did not pick Dension because I read that the Dension's phone function is not perfect (it drops the initial few seconds when the phone rings, and they pick up phone and responds "hello" to your call - anyone please corrects as needed). So now it seems Dension has imperfect phone function, and MoBridge has imperfect Ipod funtion??

Last edited by cannga; 04-12-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:38 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Cartronics was nice enough to send me the EMI tape to try. Unfortunately, it did not solve the beeping noise problem. I have now tried all the suggested methods and none has worked.The only reason I am not too upset is that the Ipod function only adds $100 to the approx. $700 phone Bluetooth unit. But this unit is not ready for prime time IMHO.

To be fair, the beeping noise is only obvious if you crank up the music really loud, and particularly if you listen to classical music a lot. Classical music has many quiet periods where say a single instrument like violin is playing, and here you WILL here the noise. Because I listen to classical music and jazz quite a bit, this problem is painful. For the audiophiles here: I recorded my precious Mercury and Living Presence, and jazz LP's to the Ipod, and play the Ipod from there. The beeping noise is particularly bad when the needle is in the groove before music comes in.
I believe that the noise is inherent with MoBridge. The only questions for me now are:
1. Does the most obvious competing Ipod unit, Dension, has the same problem?
And,
2. could I mix Dension Ipod with MoBridge Phone?

I did not pick Dension because I read that the Dension's phone function is not perfect (it drops the initial few seconds when the phone rings, and they pick up phone and responds "hello" to your call - anyone please corrects as needed). So now it seems Dension has imperfect phone function, and MoBridge has imperfect Ipod funtion??
1) My unit is right behind the passenger glove box / behind the wheel well. This appeared to be the recommended location based on the install instructions
2) I almost bought EMI tape but I realized wrapping the iPod cable won't help much. I have completely removed the iPod cable and setup my iPhone to stream music digitally to the mObridge via bluetooth streaming aka A2DP and still got the beep. You won't hear it as readily because now you'll only hear it when a song is actually playing (as opposed to hearing the beep ALL the time with the dock connector).

I'm not sure I can take my car in to an electronics store so easily to have them replace the capacitors, either. I live in Miami and I think there is maybe one place that could do it.

I guess I could do the PCM unit swap by buying one on ebay but that isn't very exciting to think about and it isn't guaranteed to fix the issue unless I know I'm getting a near-new or brand-new PCM.

Last edited by djben; 04-12-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 AM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
I'm having a similar issue with this unit. A static, beeping type sound between songs but lighter in volume when a song is playing. Fortunately I like songs with lots of base so you can't here it. The phone works great, so I guess I'm going to live with the imperfections unless someone comes up with a fix.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:20 AM
Ben and Winning Lakers (? ), I think it is clear by now it is a design flaw of the Mobridge and nothing you do will fix it.

Ben, I think the simplest solution is to replace MoBridge Ipod with Dension Ipod, while keeping Mobridge bluetooth phone. In other words, Dension Ipod + Mobridge bluetooth = best of both worlds and how I would do it, now that I understand the issues involved.Do you think we could mix Dension (Ipod) with Mobridge (bluetooth phone)?

Surprisingly now that I know that the Mobridge beeing noise can't be fixed and don't try to crank up the volume anymore to diagnose it, it doesn't seem to bother me and I don't seem to hear it much LOL. So I am not changing anything for now because frankly, this car's electronics scares me.

Last edited by cannga; 04-14-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 AM
I'll be installing this if I get a point I don't like it anymore.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...kc5AqXJlU0Z5IA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mobridge Bluetooth & Ipod: Actual Users' Experience?