997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

IPD 82mm plenum + GT3 throttle body installed

Old 10-26-2018, 10:05 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Looks like I may be in need of something too...just about to put the car away for the winter and doing some onramp blasts and sure enough the coupler came off the GT3 TB.
I think the coupler is a different size on each end, does this t-bolt clamp mentioned above fit both ends or do I need a different size one for the larger or smaller end?

Please only use: parts number: TS-HCT-M100 available at summit racing or Trident Marine part numbers TSS 56S30 EP and TSS 60S30 EP available at Amazon.

Last edited by turboslut; 11-21-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:57 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Thanks for the clamp tips guys.

I have the DO88 y-pipe and I recall my shop saying it was a bit of a bear to get in place. I was planning on clamping the end of the IPD coupler onto the GT3 throttle body first and then wiggling the y-pipe into the IPD coupler while simultaneously trying to get it to line up with the 2 intercooler hoses. Anyone have a better way of doing this that they would share?

Old 10-28-2018, 09:13 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Turns out the coupler hadn't come off the throttle body, it was just the clamp that had wriggled off. I retightened it for now but will put on tbolts in the spring

Old 11-20-2018, 07:27 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Learned something tonight...

These clamps all need to be of the constant torque variety...ask me how I know.

Please only use: parts number: TS-HCT-M100 available at summit racing or Trident Marine part numbers TSS 56S30 EP and TSS 60S30 EP available at Amazon.

Honestly...IPD should supply these with purchase. It changes your car from "tuner" aka always has an issue to a greater degree of OEM reliability.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo501.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	650.5 KB
ID:	530842  

Last edited by turboslut; 11-21-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:18 PM
So the ones linked to earlier are no good???

Old 11-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Deepstage will become famous soon enough
No issues here running hybrid VTGs on E85 at 23#. I’ve run T-bolts on other builds with a lot more positive side pressure than what we run on these cars with no issues. Just need to make sure they are aligned properly.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:53 PM
I deleted the old links, and I wouldn't use them again. My intercoolers are aluminum and who knows what the the throttle body is made of...but the heat cycling definitely loosened mine and brought back vacuum leaks.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:32 AM
I had no problems (that I was aware of, lol) with even the worm gear clamps until the clamp loosened many months later. If the tbolts work and just need to be tightened periodically then it's no big deal. The constant torque ones do make sense so I may just get them anyway. Keep us updated, turboslut!

Old 11-23-2018, 12:37 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
I think i owe this thread an update since i started all the tbolt thing ...

The main problem is space, available clamping space on both the tb and ypipe only allows for the use of a 3/8" wide clamp, tbolts are beefy and usually 1/2" narrowest. Once you tighten the clamp it will work itself off ..

3 solutions to this problem:

1- Weld and extra lip and flare on tb/ypipe for tbolt use
2- use new oem clamps, you can find these in ecs/pelican .. Search for the 90-110mm 3/8" clamps .. Dont overtighten and discard if opened twice ... This is what I do now 1.5-1.8 bar gt30's no problem
3- The main issue here is the engine and ypipe moving separately under load/gear shift ... Easy solution that works is welding a bracket/tab from the underside of the ypipe to one of the alternator/compressor bolts, use a longer bolt and now your ypipe is fixed with the engine no more blown hoses

Old 11-27-2018, 05:09 AM
Originally Posted by TT.BRN

The main problem is space, available clamping space on both the tb and ypipe only allows for the use of a 3/8" wide clamp, tbolts are beefy and usually 1/2" narrowest. Once you tighten the clamp it will work itself off ..

2- use new oem clamps, you can find these in ecs/pelican .. Search for the 90-110mm 3/8" clamps .. Dont overtighten and discard if opened twice ... This is what I do now 1.5-1.8 bar gt30's no problem
3- The main issue here is the engine and ypipe moving separately under load/gear shift ... Easy solution that works is welding a bracket/tab from the underside of the ypipe to one of the alternator/compressor bolts, use a longer bolt and now your ypipe is fixed with the engine no more blown hoses
How about removing the brackets from the back of the airbox. It seems that is an anchor point that doesn't let the y pipe move freely with the engine. Usually hump hoses are used for TB connections in most turbo kits i came across in the JDM world. Again...not sure why IPD wouldn't design a better coupler for the price they charge for it.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:11 AM
Angry

Originally Posted by TT.BRN

My short term fuel trims began to shoot up once again....so you are right. Failure!

I am at an end with this IPD setup....the last thing I wanted was a "tuner" car constantly needing wrenching and this part has been nothing but trouble.

What do you guys think of the following?

If the dilemna here is the need for a 3/8" wide band then I have found the following:

please refer to pages 81-82
https://www.oetiker.com/-/media/File...bEN102016.ashx

17800189 105S9 94 – 105 - TB side
17800190 110S9 99 – 110 - Y Pipe side

Old 11-27-2018, 08:51 AM
pdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond repute
I wrestled with this issue for a long time and tried lots of things, different clamps etc! Evoms $700 solution leaks btw I threw mine in the trash. I went back to new oem clamps and cleaned everything off and aligned them perfectly and it works.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by pdxm5
I wrestled with this issue for a long time and tried lots of things, different clamps etc! Evoms $700 solution leaks btw I threw mine in the trash. I went back to new oem clamps and cleaned everything off and aligned them perfectly and it works.
Do you mind snapping a pic or video so I can see placement of the clamps?

Old 11-27-2018, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
You can also try trident clamps
The trident clamps are not working...they are in my car now. The band is about 9/16 wide on these....tighten them enough and they just come off the y pipe, so what good is the clamping force provided by the tridents?

Old 11-27-2018, 12:18 PM
This question is for those who have chimed in with succesful clamping thus far (pdxM5, TT.BRn, The Bogg) are you guys using OEM y pipe or the IPD y pipe?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IPD 82mm plenum + GT3 throttle body installed