997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

So what do you really think?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:16 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
So what do you really think?

I received some nice comments but I'm sure there are those who must think this dyno is inflated, not possible, etc...! If so, let's hear what's on your mind. Don't hold back. I won't get offended. Nothing better than a good 'ol discussion to keep things interesting. All comments welcomed, 996t guys, tuners, etc...!

Last edited by TTdude; 03-02-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:32 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Dave, awesome results! I just can't imagine all that power with the stock suspension. Please be careful if you take it to the track

Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Dave, awesome results! I just can't imagine all that power with the stock suspension. Please be careful if you take it to the track
Thanks Chris! Straight line is going to be challenging enough.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:39 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
how many miles are on the motor? I have heard of stories of cars with 600whp needing new head gaskets; but then again their cars were not tuned by the engineering wizard Todd Knighton.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
With those numbers, Dave, think it goes without saying that it/you are nuts Whether the dyno is inflated or not is irrelevant (please refer to my prior d*ck swinging comment). However, did you ever post your baseline numbers?

As far as what's going on with your motor at this point is anyone's guess as you're going into unchartered territory with stock internals. For your sake, I hope that the assumptions of Proto and Switzer (vs. more 'conservative' tuners) are correct in what a GT1 block can take in unmodified form. But as I mentioned to you before, I personally wouldn't risk it. I would get that engine done ASAP.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by salerno713
how many miles are on the motor? I have heard of stories of cars with 600whp needing new head gaskets; but then again their cars were not tuned by the engineering wizard Todd Knighton.
Motor has about 5000 mi
Originally Posted by bonehead
With those numbers, Dave, think it goes without saying that it/you are nuts Whether the dyno is inflated or not is irrelevant (please refer to my prior d*ck swinging comment). However, did you ever post your baseline numbers?

As far as what's going on with your motor at this point is anyone's guess as you're going into unchartered territory with stock internals. For your sake, I hope that the assumptions of Proto and Switzer (vs. more 'conservative' tuners) are correct in what a GT1 block can take in unmodified form. But as I mentioned to you before, I personally wouldn't risk it. I would get that engine done ASAP.
Skeeter is doing the ER911 kit, on stock motor. That's no slouch either. For now, I'm going to try and enjoy it for a while.

Last edited by TTdude; 03-02-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 PM
SVTHorsnake will become famous soon enoughSVTHorsnake will become famous soon enough
Thought 1: If you have the money to build a motor, then this is truly a fun experiment.

Thought 2: I'm still curious to see the A/Fs. Maybe ethanol + a killer tune makes for massive amounts of safe power. As far as the gaskets are concerned, you can have aftermarket ones installed with high-torque head bolts put in if you start blowing coolant, no?

EDIT: I guess what I'm getting at is, if you have the money to rebuild short block, don't chicken out. Let's see how long it can hold. You car and $$$ though.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:07 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Skeeter is doing the ER911 kit, on stock motor. That's no slouch either.
I know. I told him the same thing. He doesn't listen to me either

Old 10-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by SVTHorsnake
Thought 1: If you have the money to build a motor, then this is truly a fun experiment.

Totally agree! Todd said if I wanted any motor work done, it would be months of waiting time. Cynthia is slammed right now. I don't want to wait any longer.

Thought 2: I'm still curious to see the A/Fs. Maybe ethanol + a killer tune makes for massive amounts of safe power. As far as the gaskets are concerned, you can have aftermarket ones installed with high-torque head bolts put in if you start blowing coolant, no?
I'll see if I can get the numbers from Todd. He doesn't usually release his tuning data. Once I get the car back, I can datalog my lambda's. I think stock head gasket is pretty good (I really have no idea, just saying). Head gaskets can change compression ratio so keep that in mind.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:18 PM
I know. I told him the same thing. He doesn't listen to me either
It's hopeless with guys like us. We're going to have to learn the hard way.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:27 PM
However, did you ever post your baseline numbers?
I don't have any baseline numbers with vtgs. They were sold to Asher a few months ago.
PS With A3076 at 16.0-16.5 psi, the car made 685 whp. This thing makes a lot more power at lower boost. Safer for the engine.

Last edited by TTdude; 10-09-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
As far as the gaskets are concerned, you can have aftermarket ones installed with high-torque head bolts put in if you start blowing coolant, no?
Hopefully some one can answer with some tested results.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Usually if you blow a head gasket then that's probably due a detonation event. Maybe others would know better.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:43 PM

EDIT: I guess what I'm getting at is, if you have the money to rebuild short block, don't chicken out. Let's see how long it can hold. You car and $$$ though.
Agreed. What would you recommend doing to strengthen motor?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
For the motor, if you want to keep it 3.6, I would do rods, head studs and some head work...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.