997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Intercooler Hose - Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 05:15 PM
ssj4 is on a distinguished road
Intercooler Hose - Coolant Leak

This may be my first post as I have been lurking for a while.

Anyone have any experience with the topic? A few days ago I started smelling coolant, but could not find any visible leaks while the car was running. The next morning there was a light pink fluid under the rear (behind the rear wheels).

Dealer confirmed it was a coolant leak, said it was only a hose - but the hose to the intake of the intercooler. I was advised that this would require a partial engine drop and lots of labor intensive work, priced at about $3,000.

Any insight would be appreciated - should I be kicking myself for buying a used, non CPO car?

Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 PM
lexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond reputelexart has a reputation beyond repute

Old 01-13-2012, 06:05 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Do you have an independent Porsche shop you can go to?

This is the potential problem:

And if they just replace the part, it can happen again. You'll need an aftermarket fix.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
I say you check the coolant reservoir and fill it, and have a good tech find the leak; there is almost 6 gallons of coolant in the lines, its a really big system.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:14 AM
I already authorized the dealer to fix it.

Notes:

I may look around for a qualified independent (anyone know of one in the Northern VA or So MD area?)

My main question is whether this is a common problem, and whether the price seems right (at least for a dealer).

Thanks

Old 01-14-2012, 10:36 AM
          skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
          It can't be a intercooler hose....The intercoolers don't have coolant running through them...

Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 AM
          I was wondering about that. I believe a more complete explanation given to me was "a hose at the intercooler intake to the turbo" - I should have talked to the tech directly but was in a hurry and not paying much attention. Are the turbos water cooled?

I do remember him saying it was a hose and that the leak was coming from the top. Aren't the intercoolers at the sides?

I will try to get a better explanation on Monday.

This is my first experience with a turbocharged car.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:53 AM
          skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
          Originally Posted by ssj4
          I was wondering about that. I believe a more complete explanation given to me was "a hose at the intercooler intake to the turbo" - I should have talked to the tech directly but was in a hurry and not paying much attention. Are the turbos water cooled?

I do remember him saying it was a hose and that the leak was coming from the top. Aren't the intercoolers at the sides?

I will try to get a better explanation on Monday.

This is my first experience with a turbocharged car.
          Yes the turbos are watercooled and have a O-ring for a seal...Could be leaking from there...I'm sure it has nothing to do with the intercoolers at all...Or it could be worse and be what Bob posted...There have been several car that had the glue fittings come apart...

Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 PM
          bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
          Originally Posted by skeeter
          Yes the turbos are watercooled and have a O-ring for a seal...Could be leaking from there...I'm sure it has nothing to do with the intercoolers at all...Or it could be worse and be what Bob posted...There have been several car that had the glue fittings come apart...
          Possible...but that shouldn't require an engine drop. $3000 for replacing or tightening intercooler hoses doesn't make sense. Intercoolers can be completely removed with their hoses by pulling the rear bumper. They must have done something else. Either that, or they are selling some magic beans.

Last edited by bbywu; 01-14-2012 at 12:59 PM.
          Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM
          Here is the final answer.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 PM
          VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
          $3,445.57 ouch!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 PM
          $38 for a liter of Pentosin.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:15 AM
          mikegr is on a distinguished road
          At least he wasnt charged with 23% sales tax...

Old 01-31-2012, 01:29 AM
          VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
          Yipe-Skip....23% on the parts totaling $831.17+ $191.16T...I think we could all manage that (actually, ouch! 23% does sting !!!!). No sales tax on labor here...$2600 bucks to drop the engine 60mm to change a few gaskets and seals...come on...get real.

Although if he paid 23% on labor as well...then yes, that would be the equivalent to bending over w/o any pre-lube....

Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 AM
          mikegr is on a distinguished road
          that is the tax here, 23%. Anyway too much money for labor cost. I wonder if the owner made a research...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Hose - Coolant Leak