997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo Misfire Cylinder 2 and random

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 AM
WideBlast is on a distinguished road
997 Turbo Misfire Cylinder 2 and random

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I recently got a misfire problem that doesn't want to go away or no one knows how to fix. I have changed and installed brand new OEM fuel pump,spark plugs, fuel pressure regulator, fuel change over valve, fuel filter, air mass sensor, coils. The problem is still there. It started all of a sudden and then when I press on full trottle I get the misfire and check engine light comes on and then goes. Then when I push it hard and manage to get the check engine light to stay on and and get it checked the system says misfire in cylinder 2 and random but then you can erase and drive. Once I press on full trottle it returns.

Can anyone advice on what to do next. Many thanks

Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same problem but after changing spark plugs was solved. Do you have any modds? ECU?

Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have ECU /softronic upgarde, intercoolers, filters, Hose upgrade, diverter valve, headers /cats /exhaust, trottle body and plenum. The car was runniing fine for 3 years and just got this problem.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Have you tried shifting to stock ECU map?
From what you say, it looks like software problem than mechanical

Old 03-26-2012, 11:31 AM
I have just been doing some more research and apparantly in could be an EGR Valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve). A leaky EGR valve can have the same effect as an air leak which feels like that. Have you ever had a problem with the crankshaft position sensor? Some say it could be that as well

Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Since the problem is only specific to cyl 2 it wouldn't be software as any changes to it would affect all of them for random misfires and not one cyl. The most common issues would be a Spark plug, Ignition coil assembly and possibly an injector. Crank sensors can cause random misfires also yet they typically move around and are usually cyl 2 and 5. Flywheel issues in cars will also cause random misfires on decel to a stop.

Some other issues specific to one cylinder could be a bad or broken valve spring , Valve or lifter. Other problems could be an intake/boost leak at that cyl as to the intake having a bad seal.

A misfire is also in that the cylinder didn't generate the same or required amount of energy from one stroke to the next measured one.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. I get 2 faults,1 says random misfire and doesnt specifically mention any cylinder and the other just say cylinder 2 misfire. Could it be an EGR ?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 PM
avh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to all
do compression test first , then leak down test. and this will tell you alot.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Bolas997 is on a distinguished road
Sub'd I would have said plugs for sure but it looks like u covered almost everything! Good luck!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Guys - Thanks for the support. I think I figured it out. I have 2 faults;

1)Random / multiple cylinder misfire fault code P0768. When I went further to check what this code represents it came out as :Shift Solenoid "D" Electrical

2)Cylinder 2 misfire fault code P0770 : Shift Solenoid "E" malfunction.

After driving the car in manual mode and shifting up as it misfires the engine / car performs. I have done all checks / air leaks / compression / trottle body / plenum /hoses etc. Nothing seems wrong. So I guess its the solenoid (valve body) in the tiptronic gearbox. I am going to check how soon I can get the part over here and carry out the works. Will let you know.

Has anyone experieced this?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WideBlast
Guys - Thanks for the support. I think I figured it out. I have 2 faults;

1)Random / multiple cylinder misfire fault code P0768. When I went further to check what this code represents it came out as :Shift Solenoid "D" Electrical

2)Cylinder 2 misfire fault code P0770 : Shift Solenoid "E" malfunction.

After driving the car in manual mode and shifting up as it misfires the engine / car performs. I have done all checks / air leaks / compression / trottle body / plenum /hoses etc. Nothing seems wrong. So I guess its the solenoid (valve body) in the tiptronic gearbox. I am going to check how soon I can get the part over here and carry out the works. Will let you know.

Has anyone experieced this?
You may want to check the fault codes again after erasing all of them and duplicating the issue. Random / multiple misfire code is P0300 as it applies when any cyl misfires. Cylinder 2 would have a fault code of P0302 when a misfire is detected.

The two you listed are trans faults yet not for misfires. The 700 range is mainly CU faults and trans faults.

You can save them and email them to Softronic if you like and I will look at them for you.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Unhappy

Hi - The dealer here is unalble to provide me the faults saved so that I can email . The car is at the dealer here waiting its turn for a compression test. They are saying that it is not the gearbox problem or engine. They said my control unit is faulty and if that doesnt solve it then I need a new wiring loom. It really doesnt make sense to me. Can a faulty control unit cause misfire or wiring loom? Has this happened to anyone before? If I am going to get a new control unit then I would rather get one that is upgraded by softtonic.

Please help as I am unsure what to do

Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Banned
MannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks god it is not engine/tranny. Are u sure the dealer is good? I heard he is not that good specially on modded cars.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:08 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Check your PM

Old 07-11-2014, 01:09 PM
giovannikoll is on a distinguished road
997 Turbo Misfire Cylinder 6

Hello all,

Recently I had a check engine warning that popped up. After plugging the diagnostic it stated misfire cylinder 6. The car is 7 years old and has 29'000km, I got the spark plugs replaced 9 months ago but never the coil packs. I guessed that after so long they deserve to be replaced and its whats causing the misfire. I replaced all of them and the car was running fine with no worning.

However, after 1 day the warning came back with the same error for misfire in cylinder 6. Do you think I should replace the spark plugs maybe the one in cylinder 6 got damaged from the misfire? There is also sometime thin black smoke coming out of the exhaust and a smell of fuel.

The power is there and the car drives nice but at idle it is rough.

Any ideas are well appreciated. Thanks alot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo Misfire Cylinder 2 and random