997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need some advice, 997.1 Turbo or 2012 Nissan GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
TiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of light

Old 01-30-2014, 02:44 PM
AuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by VtotheJ
GTR can't be beat for the money, but seriously, it takes more skill to drive a manual than tiptronic, especially on the track, which is what makes the 997 turbo appealing. You don't even have to test drive anything to realize that. I currently drive an ISF which is 8speed auto with direct-shift and full manual paddle shifting. Yeah it's fun, and the upshifts are insanely fast, but there's something about rowing through gears that can't be replaced. At the same time, I deal with a lot of traffic so manual would be grueling. This is the sole reason I've been flip flopping between the GTR, 997TT and even a Viper for my next car. I don't really care about being the fastest on the road...
Can't say I've heard anyone refer to a Lexus (sans LFA) as "fun". I actually quite like the ISF, but I find pretty much every Lexus about as exciting as a grandfather clock.

I'm far from a snob, but I'll say it. At the 100k price point I wanted that bit of "prestige" a Porsche offers over a Nissan. Both are extremely competent cars, the Nissan even more so in areas, but for me I've spent my car life working my way up the totem poll. It seemed illogical to me to drop 100k on a Nissan.

Some will say that is ridiculous thinking. Some days I'd agree with you, but it was my thought pattern during my purchase.

Last edited by AuZZie; 01-30-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:54 PM
VtotheJ is on a distinguished road
No offense taken, lots of people judge the ISF as "just another Lexus" due it's rarity but it's far from it. The ISF and M3 are neck and neck in many categories for those that are unaware. Regardless, the ISF is fun to me, considering it's my second car ever... I'm only 26 and have yet to explore the world of exotics, but I'll get there soon. Need to be patient and weigh the pros and cons of each car that's on my list. 997.2 Turbo is definitely on my list, and so is the GTR.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Stingray?
I looked into this as well. Not sure if cross-forum linking is allowed, so I'll just say that on the Corvette Forums there's a 45+ page thread on reported issues of the C7. No thanks.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 PM
AuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by VtotheJ
No offense taken, lots of people judge the ISF as "just another Lexus" due it's rarity but it's far from it. The ISF and M3 are neck and neck in many categories for those that are unaware. Regardless, the ISF is fun to me, considering it's my second car ever... I'm only 26 and have yet to explore the world of exotics, but I'll get there soon. Need to be patient and weigh the pros and cons of each car that's on my list. 997.2 Turbo is definitely on my list, and so is the GTR.
See, I also find the M3 boring. Too clinical.

I think the problem might be me not the cars.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Haha, if i owned a 997 or a GTR, those cars would be boring to me too...