997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need some advice, 997.1 Turbo or 2012 Nissan GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 AM
1gatorade1 is on a distinguished road
Need some advice, 997.1 Turbo or 2012 Nissan GTR

Hi guys

I've been on this forum for a while now and am finally in a position (finally finished residency) to be able to upgrade my car. Right now the two cars I have in mind are the 997.1 turbo (07-08) and 2012 Nissan GTR. I know I will enjoy both cars, however, in terms of maintenance and problems/breakdown issues which car in general has the better reputation. Also in terms of daily drivability which one would you guys prefer? Again thanks for all the help.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
I am defintely partial but I would say the 997.1 would be considered more durable and reliable. Practicality would depend on your driving style and what the car will be used for. The GTR would defintely be a nice addition but as I own a 2012 TTS the 2 cars are very much alike. You have two good choices, there are several members whom have or have owned both, they would be the best people to speak with. Maybe title your post to include both cars.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM
997.1 Turbo or 2012 Nissan GTR

Hi guys

Sorry for the double post but I figured with this thread title I may get a few more responses. I've been on this forum for a while now and am finally in a position (finally finished residency) to be able to upgrade my car. Right now the two cars I have in mind are the 997.1 turbo (07-08) and 2012 Nissan GTR. I know I will enjoy both cars, however, in terms of maintenance and problems/breakdown issues which car in general has the better reputation. Also in terms of daily drivability (commuting to and from work) which one would you guys prefer? Again thanks for all the help.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I would buy the Porsche. From what I have read not all Nissan dealers can work on the GTR.
If you are a gadget person then get the GTR. The 997.1 TT is a very solid car.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 1gatorade1
Hi guys

Sorry for the double post but I figured with this thread title I may get a few more responses. I've been on this forum for a while now and am finally in a position (finally finished residency) to be able to upgrade my car. Right now the two cars I have in mind are the 997.1 turbo (07-08) and 2012 Nissan GTR. I know I will enjoy both cars, however, in terms of maintenance and problems/breakdown issues which car in general has the better reputation. Also in terms of daily drivability (commuting to and from work) which one would you guys prefer? Again thanks for all the help.
HA HA! I finish residency next month.... bought my 997tt last Nov

Did you go to med school wanting a Porsche or a Nissan?.... OK, I know that statement sucks b/c both very cool and capable rides. I got the p-car with MT because that's what I like to drive. Both are fast, both feel fast. If you care to engage launch control (and fry your tranny), then the GTR faster to 100mph. I'm completely stock and raced a bolt-on 580hp GTR Sunday 2nd-4th gear and lost by 1/2 car (fell behind on shifts only), so yes, the wieght also matters (to his credit, he had a few skinny passengers and I did not).... basically saying "seat-o-the-pants" feel fast on both. Wait a yr and have both!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 PM
alterra16 is on a distinguished road
As a guy who finished residency 12 years ago, I can tell you in 18 months you can buy any car you want. I would buy a new TT or TTS if I was you. I had a 2012 Carrera S(have had a number of fast cars in past) and was underwhelmed with it's power. I turned it in for a 12' TTS coupe. The TTS is a missile. It's as fast as you are willing to scare yourself. No mods needed. Also, I want the comfort of the manufacturers warranty. You could maybe find a CPO car for less with a couple thousand miles. The Nissan comes with a Nissan dealership. I grew out of the sales kid with a handful of magic markers to jump me in the parking lot long ago. I also found those companies to lack in the service department. For the most part, they may sell a couple GTRs in a year, along with a zillion Sentras. They are geared to the latter.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM
mithiral67 is a jewel in the roughmithiral67 is a jewel in the roughmithiral67 is a jewel in the rough
Can't speak to maint costs, but having recently gone through the process of test driving the two cars over the last couple months, the 911 hands down.

The GTR was to unrefined, outside of WOT found the trans to be unbearable from shifting to noises it made, and the interior wasn't holding up very well.

The 911 was better over uneven roads, comes with a manual, better interior quality, better fit and finish, better history, better badge, better dealership network and I am guessing is cheaper to maint when comparing a simple manual to the GTRs complex trans.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:35 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Where did you do your residency?
GL w your practice. The tt would be my choice, unless obamacare kills us.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1gatorade1
Sorry for the double post but I figured with this thread title I may get a few more responses.
Both threads are now merged into one.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I have not had a single issue with my GT-R that required me to go to the dealership after 4 years... And you're looking at a perhaps a new one, with a warranty.

I have 32,000 miles on my car, some harder than others, with zero hiccups. Outside of track use, I've spent about $3k on maintenance (tires, brakes, and fluids) during that period. It is definitely a preference thing. Both are suitable for daily driving. You can't really go wrong with either one.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Pros of 997:
-Better overall build quality (rock solid motor and tranny, better paint, better materials overall)
-Better interior (subjective, only my opinion)
-Ability to get manual tranny
-More cachet (if that is important to you)

Pros of GT-R:
-Better overall performer
-More technologically advanced
-Garners more attention from onlookers (might also be a con)
-Ability to achieve power levels that Porsche currently can't (especially on pump gas)

Looks are totally subjective. I think both cars are beautiful when they are properly setup.

To me, the perfect garage would include both. Good luck!

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 05-09-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:39 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
If I had a choice between the two I would choose the 2012 GTR.
For me it's the entire package and the 997.1TT interior looks very dated. Console, buttons on the dash. Even compared to the 997.2 and 2009+ models look far better. I spend 90% of the time inside my car so the interior matters to me. I think the GTR interior is great for a Nissan and adequate for the price. Performance is awesome too.

If interior matters then get a 997.2TT or even the 991 (the interior on that sucker is mind blowing)

Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks fellas! All of this advice is terrific. Definitely looking forward to the day that I can have both vehicles but for now I will be happy to just have one...hahaha!

TT surgeon-I'm finishing residency at New York Presbyterian-Columbia.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Just went through this very same scenario three weeks ago. I went with the 997 Turbo for two primary reasons....1) Wanted a manual tranny (three of my last five cars had only two pedals so I am not opposed to it) and 2) I find the 997 Turbo much better looking.

I disagree completely with TTChris on the interior of the 997.1 and 997.2 Turbos. The bits and pieces of the Porsche interior are not dated. I also happen to find the layout of the GT-R interior very odd and hodge podge with way too many gauges/gameboy screens.

Like Dive and Jasper said....you most likely won't go wrong with either one.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Just went through this very same scenario three weeks ago. I went with the 997 Turbo for two primary reasons....1) Wanted a manual tranny (three of my last five cars had only two pedals so I am not opposed to it) and 2) I find the 997 Turbo much better looking.

I disagree completely with TTChris on the interior of the 997.1 and 997.2 Turbos. The bits and pieces of the Porsche interior are not dated. I also happen to find the layout of the GT-R interior very odd and hodge podge with way too many gauges/gameboy screens.

Like Dive and Jasper said....you most likely won't go wrong with either one.
What I meant was even the 997.2 interior looks more modern than the 997.1 (I think there was an update to the interior in 2009 model..not sure) again this is just my opinion but I sit in my buddies 997.1TT often and it feels dated compared to my 997.2TT

I like technology and "gauges/gameboy" screens. Since I'm paying that much I'd rather have more and not less. Again that's just me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some advice, 997.1 Turbo or 2012 Nissan GTR