997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need some advice, 997.1 Turbo or 2012 Nissan GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Did a search and decided to resurrect this thread. I've been looking for an '09 TT for a few months now and hadn't considered the GTR. I've found them ugly, but can't dispute the performance. I get the feeling it may be like having my M3, but with the performance of a TT! I'm also seeing that finding a GTR will be much easier than finding a good 09 TT. Seems that 09 TTs are in the 90's and a '12 GTR is in the 80s, so they are good "value", but of course the TT had a list of $140k while the GTR is "only" 100k. Not sure which holds its value better.

I read that the GTR needs a service very 6000 miles. Is that a PIA? And that trans oil is needed every couple years and it costs over $100/qt? Also seems to eat tires like nobody's business? I know exactly the TT maintenance, and while not necessarily cheap, certainly manageable. I think someone posted over $3000 in maintenance over 30k miles. That's an expensive Nissan!

Which is the "best" year to look at? The '09's had some major drawbacks. I see that '12 was a major update. Are '10 and '11's significantly less refined? I guess I should find a GTR board, but thought I'd check first with my buddies here!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:30 AM
tws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to all
I just sold my second porsche turbo. I have owned an 09 gtr. I am looking at either a 997 Gt2 or another GTR with full bolt ons (runs low 10s at 138 on e85). I sold the GTR because I felt it had no class but honestly other than a Z06 or a Viper I haven't been in another car that gave so much driving pleasure from a pure performance perspective. I am a terrible driver and only had tune, mid pipe and tires on my GTR and I was beating GT3s all day on my first DE of my lift. The Porsche has class and gets respect but honestly from a performance perspective the GTR is better in many ways. Hoping the GT2 feel gets me there more but the extra 30k and the depreciation is troubling. I change my mind every day...

Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Did a search and decided to resurrect this thread. I've been looking for an '09 TT for a few months now and hadn't considered the GTR. I've found them ugly, but can't dispute the performance. I get the feeling it may be like having my M3, but with the performance of a TT! I'm also seeing that finding a GTR will be much easier than finding a good 09 TT. Seems that 09 TTs are in the 90's and a '12 GTR is in the 80s, so they are good "value", but of course the TT had a list of $140k while the GTR is "only" 100k. Not sure which holds its value better.

I read that the GTR needs a service very 6000 miles. Is that a PIA? And that trans oil is needed every couple years and it costs over $100/qt? Also seems to eat tires like nobody's business? I know exactly the TT maintenance, and while not necessarily cheap, certainly manageable. I think someone posted over $3000 in maintenance over 30k miles. That's an expensive Nissan!

Which is the "best" year to look at? The '09's had some major drawbacks. I see that '12 was a major update. Are '10 and '11's significantly less refined? I guess I should find a GTR board, but thought I'd check first with my buddies here!
If, by service, you mean oil change, then no, it isn't a pain in the ***.

I've spent $70 this year on GT-R maintenance. I average 8,000 miles per year.

Trans fluids can be purchased online for $55/qt (9 qts), and can be done every 20,000 miles (depends on the year). I get my fluids online for about $700, then pay a local shop $130 to change them all.

I personally recommend the 2012-13 (the '13 runs 10's from the factory).

If you get summer tires, expect to get 10,000 out of them, if you don't track it. But then again, all-seasons may be the way to go, and get 25,000 miles out of them.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Brilliant, thanks. I'll need to see and drive one. I find it a bit interesting that it is pretty easy to find '12's around. I guess used Turbo S's are available too.
I guess the all seasons were an option, but I expect few people chose that option. I guess it's the tranny fluid change at 20k that's the killer.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:37 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
..I've found them ugly...
Hi, sorry but how could you ignore this feeling, for something that you are looking at everyday? I could understand a GTR owner who thinks his car looks good (nothing wrong with this, matter of taste), but if you think it's "ugly," that's a little different. Unlike some other participating sports ;-), you can't drive with your eyes closed and this unsolvable problem is going to eat at you.

Kidding aside, GTR is a great technological achievement (unfortunate 3900 lbs weight however) and I myself would love to have as an extra sports car (behind Turbo and Cayman/Boxster, etc.), but .... but... but... (the blanks have been discussed several times over). Buy GTR and there is a decent chance you'll be wondering "what if"; you'll be a GTR owner lurking on Porsche forums wishing again, and by then Turbo's will have even more mileage and good samples even more difficult to find. Remember they don't make Mezger Turbo's anymore - *if* you want a good low mileage Mezger, NOW is the time to get it.

If budget is an issue and 2009 Turbo is not easily found, go for 2007 and 2008. I advocate 2009 Turbo because of the newer PCM; but the older ones are much better bang for the buck. They are biggest steal in automotive nowadays. Some people wrote a 150k check for this car that now you are buying for 75k! Please look at the pic below before giving up your search; IMHO buying a sports car that you think looks ugly is not a good idea (understatement of the century).

Name:  08AE4393-1PS2Main1200copyPEDI.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  156.3 KB

Last edited by cannga; 10-27-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 AM
I know, I know, the TT is iconic. Just caught a rerun of the Top Gear episode with Clarkson driving the GT-R. Just looks damn impressive though. I always like to know that I've explored all the options.
09 TT supply is a bit low now, which makes me look around. I'll probably wait until the dead of winter in Feb to buy one. Not much point in wintering a new TT here in the NE.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Every time I've been looking at GTR's, I walk away with a 997 Turbo instead. I went through all the pro's and cons, etc and for me there was just no way I'd rather have a GTR than a solid 997 Turbo 6spd. Your opinion may differ and as everyone has said, there is no wrong answer.

I'll tell you this, I have no "what if" feeling... just "what can I do next to this beast".

Old 10-27-2012, 04:13 PM
strato58 is on a distinguished road
Good Lord is it only about speed? I dont care if the nissan is a little faster...unless your pounding on it making a crazy utube video how fast do you need to go before they lock you up or you run into a tree....The Porsche is the clear winner....much better looking, no space ship kids games and video monitors....I dont want an asian sports car. They are very bulky looking too.
thats just me

Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by strato58
Good Lord is it only about speed? I dont care if the nissan is a little faster...unless your pounding on it making a crazy utube video how fast do you need to go before they lock you up or you run into a tree....The Porsche is the clear winner....much better looking, no space ship kids games and video monitors....I dont want an asian sports car. They are very bulky looking too.
thats just me
If you really think the GT-R is most likely going to put you into a tree, I think you'd be mistaken... It is probably the one that will keep you out of the trees the most.

Also - I agree about the Asian thing. I mean, it's horrible right? I don't buy anything Asian. Nasty people.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 PM
I buy lots of asian items...and they are wonderful people BUT I dont want a sports car thats made in Japan. An econobox sure...had plenty of them. Thats just me...

Old 10-27-2012, 11:02 PM
a_wlee is on a distinguished road
Residual value of GTR

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I agree with everything you posted except the part about resale. The GTR has one of the best resale values of any performance car you can buy, and will maintain its value much better than any newer 911 will.
When I was looking at my choice between GTR 2013 and my 08 997TT the GTR residual factor for a lease after 3 yrs was 36% of the purchase value so $36000 after 3 yrs. after I was told that by the Nissan dealer, I walked out.

My 08 was still 39% residual after 4 year lease. So it was a no brainer Nissan does not think that these cars will hold its value, by then every ricer who can afford one will own one and it will be way too common and have no real heritage value or status after the three years I own it.

Too me it's the prestige of owning a heritage of a reliable sports car.

Al

Old 10-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by a_wlee
When I was looking at my choice between GTR 2013 and my 08 997TT the GTR residual factor for a lease after 3 yrs was 36% of the purchase value so $36000 after 3 yrs. after I was told that by the Nissan dealer, I walked out.

My 08 was still 39% residual after 4 year lease. So it was a no brainer Nissan does not think that these cars will hold its value, by then every ricer who can afford one will own one and it will be way too common and have no real heritage value or status after the three years I own it.

Too me it's the prestige of owning a heritage of a reliable sports car.

Al
Based on this information, you are far too good to own a Nissan...

You should look into Aston Martin Vanquishes (not the DB9, because those ricers who can't afford a GT-R can still purchase a used DB9 for less, or the 911's for $20k).

I hope the peasants on this forum don't bother you...

Old 10-28-2012, 10:23 AM
a_wlee is on a distinguished road
Nope

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Based on this information, you are far too good to own a Nissan...

You should look into Aston Martin Vanquishes (not the DB9, because those ricers who can't afford a GT-R can still purchase a used DB9 for less, or the 911's for $20k).

I hope the peasants on this forum don't bother you...
I live in Vancouver and there is barely any ricers who owns 911 turbos they like the look of the Japanese imports and the fact they can modify the looks. So I"m safe the Porsches in my area are generally owned by people who appreciate the heritage and class of these cars. When I was younger I owned a turbo supra and yes I was a ricer when I was younger I never thought of a Porsche until I was older and never understood why people like these cars until I drove one to appreciate it. As I matured all the gadgets that I was accustomed to from my imports and being a ex owner of BMW I found that the simplicity of the Porsche more then made up for the lack of techno toys that the other cars had.

The GTR was nice in its own way but was to much as it has too many gizmos and the look of it made it look huge, plus it was too flashy. My son who is 11, I thought would of loved the GTR said daddy are u kidding, u going to pick this over the Porsche I said yes it's a little bigger and faster and handles a bit better. He said u got to be kidding your going to turn down real sports car like the Porsche.

In the end I went with a little boys advice and never looked back. I am very happy to know that I have one of the best engines in the world. plus many other pluses that I can go on....

Old 10-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by a_wlee
I live in Vancouver and there is barely any ricers who owns 911 turbos they like the look of the Japanese imports and the fact they can modify the looks. So I"m safe the Porsches in my area are generally owned by people who appreciate the heritage and class of these cars. When I was younger I owned a turbo supra and yes I was a ricer when I was younger I never thought of a Porsche until I was older and never understood why people like these cars until I drove one to appreciate it. As I matured all the gadgets that I was accustomed to from my imports and being a ex owner of BMW I found that the simplicity of the Porsche more then made up for the lack of techno toys that the other cars had.

The GTR was nice in its own way but was to much as it has too many gizmos and the look of it made it look huge, plus it was too flashy. My son who is 11, I thought would of loved the GTR said daddy are u kidding, u going to pick this over the Porsche I said yes it's a little bigger and faster and handles a bit better. He said u got to be kidding your going to turn down real sports car like the Porsche.

In the end I went with a little boys advice and never looked back. I am very happy to know that I have one of the best engines in the world. plus many other pluses that I can go on....
Much better explanation. Thank you...

For a little background, when I was a younger 'ricer', I owned a 911. How's that for irony?

It really comes down to preference. Both cars are amazing for their own accomplishments.

There a lot of pluses that I could go on about the GT-R as well...

I don't think anyone could argue which one is better - we can only discuss which one is better for US.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:36 AM
$100,000 GTR hardly make it a peasant mobile!....Its a great car but i think its appeal is larger for the younger generation....me im old school,,,,,very old...school

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some advice, 997.1 Turbo or 2012 Nissan GTR