997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Carbon Fiber Exhaust Tips - Would You?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Carbon Fiber Exhaust Tips - Would You?

I have been wanting to make these for quite some time. Our carbon department here finally whipped up a set after taking molds off the stock tips for the 997.2 Turbo S. No idea if they will work with the amount of exhaust heat. We will soon find out though! Will install them tomorrow but thought I would share some pics. If they are a success, would you buy them?

Old 07-05-2012, 05:36 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
They look great off, would like to see them on a White TTS please :P My car throws off alot of heat and exhaust "soot". If I get it fresh it wipes off easy. Whith some neglected build-up, its a PITA to clean. How will these hold up to polish? I think it needs more clear coat than stnadard CF accessories IMHO.
Good Luck.
QUOTE=vividracing;3584920]I have been wanting to make these for quite some time. Our carbon department here finally whipped up a set after taking molds off the stock tips for the 997.2 Turbo S. No idea if they will work with the amount of exhaust heat. We will soon find out though! Will install them tomorrow but thought I would share some pics. If they are a success, would you buy them?

[/QUOTE]

Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
do carbon exhaust surrounds, leave the exhaust to stainless. With even stainless yellowing from the heat after time those running aftermarket exhausts or catless will eat this monthly.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Fugazi will become famous soon enoughFugazi will become famous soon enough
I'm all in they look awesome

Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
I think they're nice looking. Could they potentially be available in PSE style tips?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:29 AM
ed997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to behold
agree - carbon surrounds like the akra exhaust for the M5 would hold up well

Originally Posted by gmoney
do carbon exhaust surrounds, leave the exhaust to stainless. With even stainless yellowing from the heat after time those running aftermarket exhausts or catless will eat this monthly.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Thanks for the feedback. I think carbon surrounds will be easy cheezy. Let me test these babies out first Pics to come.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Former Vendor
Here we go!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
Cf exhaust surrounds PLEASE!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:33 PM
BaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant future
whats up with that carbon lower spoiler. Looks Sexy!

Old 03-30-2013, 08:29 PM
porsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud of
so did they tolerate the heat? when are the panamera ones coming out

Old 03-31-2013, 02:31 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porsched4ed
so did they tolerate the heat? when are the panamera ones coming out
Considering this was about 3/4 of a year ago, I'm guessing it's safe to say, they didn't work out too well. Even the CF exhausts on motorcycles have stainless, magnesium or aluminum tips, so I'm guessing the CF just couldn't tolerate the heat. I imagine turbos would create more exhaust heat than NA cars too. But they sure do look nice! Carbon Kevlar may work though, but I think the epoxy's used are where the heat issues become an issue.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor
Sorry for the delay on this. The ones we made here did not tolerate the heat. This comes down to the epoxy/resin probably needs to be rated for about 500F. The stuff we were using I am not sure, but was low rated. I sent the tip out to be made with different material. I did the Targa Rally, sold the car, did not have another car to test.

The tip is actually sitting here on my desk and I have a car here now so will give it some heat. I think the carbon fiber tip business much like on motorcycles would be killer for cars.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
You also should test it with race gas as that really puts heat and discoloration to metal tips, can't imagine what they will do to CF tips.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 512bb
You also should test it with race gas as that really puts heat and discoloration to metal tips, can't imagine what they will do to CF tips.
This is a true Carbon Fiber exhaust surround. Someone should design a spring loaded surround similar to Akrapovic's Exhaust without the $5000 exhaust. I think it would be a huge draw.

Attached Images  

Last edited by CALGUY; 04-16-2013 at 10:09 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Exhaust Tips - Would You?