997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Car lifts

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
Car lifts

I decided to keep all my cars (Yukon, MDX, Mustang and the 997TT) in my garage over the winter. I'll feel better than keeping them some place else. I'm having my garage door changed around to fit a car lift. Can I get any advice from the members with car lifts on which ones you are using? with some pros and cons? I see a few on line but trust ya'll here.

Thanks,

Old 08-31-2012, 01:00 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Lifts

I have a ROTARY brand asymetrical 2-post lift that affords great access for servicing your cars and can also be used to store a car above and another below. There are plenty of lifts designed primarily for storage but other than oil changes can be very cumbersome - if not near impossible - for general service work. ROTARY is a brand found in most quality shops.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 PM
amw
amw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of light
I checked out a few garage forums and someone tried to setup a a group buy with Bend-Pak, but unfortuantely it didn't workout.

You may have an issue with the height of your SUV's depending on your garage height.

This is what I've been considering:
http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/fou...ts/HD-9SW.aspx

Last edited by amw; 08-31-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:20 PM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about
I went with Bendpak HD9st. Installed about a month ago. Very happy so far.

Check out this thread.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-has-one.html

Old 08-31-2012, 05:46 PM
AP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to behold
We purchased two Revolution lifts (made by Rotary) that have been excellent. As stated above, these 4 post lifts are not ideal if doing service is your main objective (depending on the service), but they are well suited for storing vehicles.

The critical thing when storing, is to ensure you have the ceiling height, which will of course depend on the vehicles you intend to store. We store two sports cars one above the other on one side and then a sedan and very low sports car on the other side. We used the calculator from Revolution to account not only for the car heights but the elevations at which the lift locks, and the suggested minimum clearances.

In the end we decided we had to raise the ceiling, and although I am an engineer, I am not structural engineer, so we hired one to do a drawing (given concern for snow loads, etc.). We then sistered the rafters and collar ties to the trusses, nailed and glued them and then cut away the low hanging trusses.

It has been six years and the ridge line of the roof looks perfect, and we have all the height needed to store our cars.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the info, I'm looking primarily for storage, the Bendpak (watching the video) looks what I need. I have plenty of height, the HD-9 looks like a fit..

Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 AM
RRaider911 is on a distinguished road
I went with a Pro Park 8 Standard about two years ago and have been very happy.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:16 PM
SKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to all
Bend Pak

I turned my two car garage into a three car with the Bend Pak HD9-st.
Ceiling height is ten feet and it will store the turbo S with no problem.
I do all my oil changes on three cars and can clean the undersides very easily.
Excellent capacity, 9,000lb.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:19 PM
SKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to all
Bend Pak Pictures

I turned my two car garage into a three car with the Bend Pak HD9-st.
Ceiling height is ten feet and it will store the turbo S with no problem.
I do all my oil changes on three cars and can clean the undersides very easily.
Excellent capacity, 9,000lb.
<!-- / message -->

Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 PM
AP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to behold
We are using our garage to store 6 cars, two on lifts, two under, and two in front. Although you indicated you had the height, there may be others that have ceiling issues and this picture prior to finishing, shows the area of trusses removed and replaced by rafters and collar ties to provide the needed height

Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Former Vendor
Marco @ McKenna will become famous soon enough
BendPak's tend to be very reliable. We have about 50 in our shop and not one has broke down yet!

Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Pulled trigger on BendPak HD-9 with a jack. Will post pics after done. thanks everyone. Slick, your thread was great.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:43 PM
RaWBGT3 is on a distinguished road
BendPak is legit. =P****

Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 PM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Winnilaker
Pulled trigger on BendPak HD-9 with a jack. Will post pics after done. thanks everyone. Slick, your thread was great.
Glad it was helpful.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:44 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RRaider911
I went with a Pro Park 8 Standard about two years ago and have been very happy.

RRaider- How high is your garage ceiling?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Car lifts