997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

advantage in a 997.2TT over a 997.1TT? (facts please)

Old 10-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme

So who to believe? TT Chris, who more than likely has zero experience building Porsche motors, or performance shops who build (and race) Porsche motors for a living?
He has a .2 its newer therefore he MUST have the better car.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Better yet, ask the guys who build these cars for a living like I do. If they could make big power on stock internals on 997.2TT's, they'd be all over it. They'd be making money hand over fist.

But unfortunately, the stock DFI motors simply and factually cannot handle big power like the 997.1TTs can. Bro.
Isn't the problem with 3.8 the HPFP?¨
3.8 has been on the market for quite some time now, I am surprised that there is so little development for it. I would assume, given the prices the Porsche tuners charge (especially in Europe), that they would be working 24/7 to develop more advanced tuning stages for 997.2TT but it does not seem to happen. Maybe noone needs more than ~600hp on a 997.2TT?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Scott, I haven't heard from Dave in a while (TT Dude) but I'm pretty sure he had issues that took his project in a different direction.
Bob - I wasn't aware of that. I guess 1100 crank HP is the limit then.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:14 PM
DaBrat will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Peskarik
Very nicely put, DaBrat.
Interesting info about manual transmission based off of PDK, where did you pick up that info, care to share a link, please?

I will disagree on one point, which is that 997.2T is a classic. This will sound stupid probably, but the last real classic is still 997.1T, simply because of the 3.6 engine. It may be less efficient and costlier to produce and service than 3.8, but it has 40-year history. Whether 997.1T will keep its value - who knows, and I do not really care, mine is a true DD, I have no other car.
I didn't find the article I read, but here's another:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-pdk-tech-dept

As for the classic point, I really don't believe either of the 997TTs will be a classic. It'd be a classic to us owners/drivers, but not to the collectors. In terms of "collectibility" (which again I don't believe the 997TT is a collector car), production numbers will have to be low. I think the GT2 RS has 500, I'm not sure about the 997.1TT and the 997.2TT, but one thing for sure, is that because of PDK and the Turbo S, 997.2TT manuals will definitely be less in production numbers than the 997.1TT. As for the engine, it really will depend on the development of the DFI engine and whether Porsche will stick with it for a while.

Personally, I really love both and we've touched on the good points of both. I bought the 997.2TT, so I wanted to play devil's advocate and comment on my train of thought to come to the conclusion of buying the .2. Like someone commented, .2 people will say .2 is better, yet there are more .1 people, so I gotta help represent the .2.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Fskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to behold
Some of you have said that the 997.2TT has a better suspension. Can someone explain what was changed? I have not driven the 997.2TT so I cant compare it to the 997.1TT

Thanks

Old 10-20-2012, 06:39 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DaBrat
As for the classic point, I really don't believe either of the 997TTs will be a classic. It'd be a classic to us owners/drivers, but not to the collectors. In terms of "collectibility" (which again I don't believe the 997TT is a collector car), production numbers will have to be low. I think the GT2 RS has 500, I'm not sure about the 997.1TT and the 997.2TT, but one thing for sure, is that because of PDK and the Turbo S, 997.2TT manuals will definitely be less in production numbers than the 997.1TT. As for the engine, it really will depend on the development of the DFI engine and whether Porsche will stick with it for a while.
I have to agree with Peskarik here. We are discussing mainly for fun now, but as far as being a "classic," the 997.1 Turbo will surely be one because it is the last Turbo with the Mezger engine. The engine, as many have pointed out here, with the pedigree, legendary designer, history, and an incredible record to back it up. Porsche *celebrates* Mezger's birthday, doesn't that give a hint? http://porschebahn.wordpress.com/200...tone-birthday/

I am not one who advocates what I own (watch how much critical I am of many things in 997.1 Turbo), but on this one point, as many have pointed out here, with respect to the engine, and engine alone, 997.2 Turbo engine will **NEVER** be considered in the same class like 997.1's for Porsche connoisseurs. It doesn't even have a real dry sump.

997.2 is a great car, don't get me wrong, but here is its (minor) "problem" as far as long term value:
1. 997.1 has the Mezger
2. 991 has the better chassis (more mid engine, and glowing reviews so far)
3. 997.2 has neither the Mezger or the better chassis
10 years from now, if I were to pick a car, it would be either 1 or 2, and not 3. In addition I would stay away from any old Porsche with PDK until the record and cost of repair off warranty becomes clearer.

Last edited by cannga; 10-20-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:52 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
I've spoke with several people and tuners about the 997.1 limits on a stock motor. Champion and Protomotive both feel that the safe limits are around 700whp. Switzer says that you can run 900whp on stock motor. I had a chance to talk with the previous sledgehammer owner and he said he never had any problems but mainly ran the car on 93 octane, which kept him around 700-750whp. Even at 700whp, that's almost 900 crank pretty crazy #'s for a stock motor, especially when every tuner calls that "safe power".

Dave did push his alpha 30 kit to the limit with the 983whp, but did run into problems like Bob said. There were also some others that had similar problems when they went to the 900whp range on a stock set up. I'm not a tuner, but from what I hear it's a matter of when, not if your motor will go at that level. I'm still learning though, which is def going to help when the time comes for me to decide on a direction to go with my turbo.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:43 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
I have to agree with Peskarik here. We are discussing mainly for fun now, but as far as being a "classic," the 997.1 Turbo will surely be one because it is the last Turbo with the Mezger engine. The engine, as many have pointed out here, with the pedigree, legendary designer, history, and an incredible record to back it up. Porsche *celebrates* Mezger's birthday, doesn't that give a hint? http://porschebahn.wordpress.com/200...tone-birthday/

I am not one who advocates what I own (watch how much critical I am of many things in 997.1 Turbo), but on this one point, as many have pointed out here, with respect to the engine, and engine alone, 997.2 Turbo engine will **NEVER** be considered in the same class like 997.1's for Porsche connoisseurs. It doesn't even have a real dry sump.

997.2 is a great car, don't get me wrong, but here is its (minor) "problem" as far as long term value:
1. 997.1 has the Mezger
2. 991 has the better chassis (more mid engine, and glowing reviews so far)
3. 997.2 has neither the Mezger or the better chassis
10 years from now, if I were to pick a car, it would be either 1 or 2, and not 3. In addition I would stay away from any old Porsche with PDK until the record and cost of repair off warranty becomes clearer.
To be fair, I should point out that IMHO 997.2's has one historical achievement, the PDK (too bad d*** GT-R beats us (Porsche) to the market eh Scott? ). Problem is that from a long term perspective, the PDK is not like the Mezger engine that's refined to its absolute greatest in 997.1 Turbo, but is in fact first generation PDK that will be improved upon and already is obsolete. The next PDK in 991 surely will have revisions and improvements.

Second, a number of Porsche fanatics *still* think manual is better, thereby PDK becomes a ho-hum advancement. And then there is the issue of long term reliability and cost of fixing. I would NOT want to be the first group to own PDK past warranty.

Strictly as a car that is NOT to be modded, 997.2 Turbo is greatest and fastest Turbo ever at this point, but its fate from long term perspective is sealed merely from the fact that it's a mid-life revision, preceded by the Michael Jordan of Porsche Turbo and followed by the next big thing, the 991 Turbo. It never did, and I think never will, generate the incredible excitement that was the birth of the last Mezger Turbo in 2007. Anyone here looking for a used Turbo, if you see a 2009 997.1 Turbo with low mileage, especially one with PCCB, my advice is to jump on it, IMMEDIATELY!

Last edited by cannga; 10-20-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:08 PM
BTW I have this old picture that I did a while ago, before this discussion ever exists:

Name:  08AE4393-1PS2Main1200copyPEDI.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  156.3 KB

Last edited by cannga; 10-20-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:14 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
+1, Can thanks for the clean summary. First time I've heard the MJ reference for the 997.1, and have to agree. As stated in earlier posts/threads, the 997.1's negative points are easily addressed through non-evasive after market improvements, leaving the owner with a car that has very little (read: no) flaws.

If making a purchase decision between .1 and .2, think of why you're getting the car, what aspects of the driving experience really resonate with you, what you'll do with the car post-purchase, and make you're informed decision. Regardless of the decision, you're going to have fun!

To be fair, I should point out that IMHO 997.2's has one historical achievement, the PDK (too bad d*** GT-R beats us (Porsche) to the market eh Scott? ). Problem is that from a long term perspective, the PDK is not like the Mezger engine that's refined to its absolute greatest in 997.1 Turbo, but is in fact first generation PDK that will be improved upon and already is obsolete. The next PDK in 991 surely will have revisions and improvements.

Second, a number of Porsche fanatics *still* think manual is better, thereby PDK becomes a ho-hum advancement. And then there is the issue of long term reliability and cost of fixing. I would NOT want to be the first group to own PDK past warranty.

Strictly as a car that is NOT to be modded, 997.2 Turbo is greatest and fastest Turbo ever at this point, but its fate from long term perspective is sealed merely from the fact that it's a mid-life revision, preceded by the Michael Jordan of Porsche Turbo and followed by the next big thing, the 991 Turbo. It never did, and I think never will, generate the incredible excitement that was the birth of the last Mezger Turbo in 2007. Anyone here looking for a used Turbo, if you see a 2009 997.1 Turbo with low mileage, especially one with PCCB, my advice is to jump on it, IMMEDIATELY!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by yumaverick
I've spoke with several people and tuners about the 997.1 limits on a stock motor. Champion and Protomotive both feel that the safe limits are around 700whp. Switzer says that you can run 900whp on stock motor. I had a chance to talk with the previous sledgehammer owner and he said he never had any problems but mainly ran the car on 93 octane, which kept him around 700-750whp. Even at 700whp, that's almost 900 crank pretty crazy #'s for a stock motor, especially when every tuner calls that "safe power".

Dave did push his alpha 30 kit to the limit with the 983whp, but did run into problems like Bob said. There were also some others that had similar problems when they went to the 900whp range on a stock set up. I'm not a tuner, but from what I hear it's a matter of when, not if your motor will go at that level. I'm still learning though, which is def going to help when the time comes for me to decide on a direction to go with my turbo.
900 crank to 750whp...
Why one assumes such big losses?
Look at the power measurements by Rototest, for 2007 997T Cab:

http://www.rri.se/popup/performanceg...p?ChartsID=785

There is almost no loss of power at the wheels (no loss of torque).

Here is 996TT:

http://www.rri.se/popup/performanceg...p?ChartsID=670

Old 10-21-2012, 12:55 AM

The average Turbo owner's age in US is 53 year old, I've read somewhere. Moreover, Porsche themselves aim this car at people above 45. Most of these guys do not want to have the hassle of the stick. Which is corroborated by the sales of 997.2T, most of which, and I believe it is 95%+ range, come with PDK.

These days most people just want to be "the best and the fastest", and could not care less that it is a computer doing it for them so no honour in that, but for them achieving something on their own is not important.

Tip or PDK plus a million HPs and "look, I am the fastest in the world". To me this is childish, all these drag races, where you let the computer pull you forward in a straight line as fast as possible, while you cling to the steering wheel like a brainless piece of meat.

On the other hand, I must admit, driving through the Alps this summer I did think about PDK many a time, in mountainous terrain the uninterrupted power-delivery of PDK would let one concentrate on the corners so much more, also given the loooong stock Turbo clutch. Also, even though I have the factory shortshifter, I wish the stick shifts were even shorter.

Last edited by Peskarik; 10-21-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 AM
BTW I have this old picture that I did a while ago, before this discussion ever exists:

This is a very beautiful photo, I use it for my desktop background, though I wish it were 1920x1080.
Do you have more photos, from other angles? (I have two monitors :-) ).

Last edited by Peskarik; 10-21-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:45 AM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
900 crank to 750whp...

Here is 996TT:

I'm pretty sure that most would agree that a awd car loses between 15-18% to the wheels from crank power. Just from what I've seen from dyno #'s and what I've been told.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:28 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
900 crank to 750whp...

Here is 996TT:

I did read somewhere that all Mezger engines are tested at a engine dyno to meet at least 105% of rated power, so if you have 460whp on a 997.1TT and started with 505bhp there is losses (of course) but why so many ppl think losses always are a fixed % suprises me...losses are probably both a fixed loss and a %.

It is much easier to stick to whp imo and never try to guess crank hp, because even if it is used for marketing it is still just a guess.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: advantage in a 997.2TT over a 997.1TT? (facts please)