997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT2 help and advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
None of the things you mention happen often enough to worry. If you purchase a GT2 (996 or 997)plan on learning to drive it slowly if you want to drive it hard. Alot of folks just find them a little hard edged for their taste. It depends upon if your previous cars was a supercharged viper or a toyota avalon.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 AM
MikeRT4 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
None of the things you mention happen often enough to worry. If you purchase a GT2 (996 or 997)plan on learning to drive it slowly if you want to drive it hard. Alot of folks just find them a little hard edged for their taste. It depends upon if your previous cars was a supercharged viper or a toyota avalon.
The thing is, it won't be used much on the road, other than driving to and from track days / the Nordschleife, so the heat track-use generates is likely to highlight any issues that normal road use wouldn't throw up. So I want something that can soak up this kind of abuse without issue.

Although not used to Porsche's, I have no problem with high-powered cars, having owned several over the years, and my current track car is almost identical power and weight to the GT2 (in fact, fractionally more than the Porsche), but is AWD with a 37/63 rear transmission bias (and I've owned it for 10 years). Before that I had a rwd version with 515bhp / 420lb ft, but was 200kg lighter than the GT2.

I've tried a 997 GT3 RS on track, but just fancy something more challenging, hence wanting the GT2 . I'm not looking for a car that will be a short term purchase, I'm looking for a "keeper" and something that I will likely keep until I've done with the track thing. This is why it has to be the correct choice and not something I will live to regret as it is always needing something fixed (I have one of those already ).

Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
As you've said it's a very rare & beautiful car that scares the crap out of me as much as i love it ,they don't call it the widow maker for nothing ,it's a car that demands much respect & experience & not the kinda car i would have the ***** to get for my 1st 911 to many people end like this https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...led-gt2rs.html

Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the concern, but as I said, I'm experienced with high powered cars and I know my limits. I don't expect to know how to get the best out of it immediately, and I know it will be a challenge. However, this is WHY I want it, I've tried a GTR and didn't gel with it, finding that the weight sanitised the performance to the extent that the 997 GT3 RS felt faster. The GT3 isn't quick enough though and is too easy to drive. I'm expecting the GT2 to be a handful and will be disappointed if it isn't .

This is what I am used to performance wise (skip to the last 4 minutes):
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4onGXhF_oU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So anything slower will be a backward step.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Good luck & enjoy i grew up in UK NW13 South Ealing

Old 11-20-2012, 05:57 PM
notso5 is on a distinguished road
I have an 08 GT2 that I've owned since the beginning of the year.
I've had it at the track 3 times this season and can attest to P-cars being bulletproof as far as reliability is concerned. I've used up a good part of the tire life but had way more fun than pulling up to a downtown Starbucks.
The track is where this car should be.
Lambos and F-cars ARE jewelry. If you want to go fast without worries Porsche (any one) is the way to go.
As for oil seals, I had the car on the hoist at my favoured shop to check for any leaks before storing it for the winter and couldn't find any signs. BTW the undersides of these cars are a thing of beauty!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by notso5
I have an 08 GT2 that I've owned since the beginning of the year.
I've had it at the track 3 times this season and can attest to P-cars being bulletproof as far as reliability is concerned. I've used up a good part of the tire life but had way more fun than pulling up to a downtown Starbucks.
The track is where this car should be.
Lambos and F-cars ARE jewelry. If you want to go fast without worries Porsche (any one) is the way to go.
As for oil seals, I had the car on the hoist at my favoured shop to check for any leaks before storing it for the winter and couldn't find any signs. BTW the undersides of these cars are a thing of beauty!
Perfect - and my thoughts exactly - I've never been interested in Ferraris or Lamborghinis. Having found a few more threads on the RMS, it does appear that the GT3s suffer much more from RMS issues than any other model, which I can only assume is due to the high rpm the engine goes to.

It sounds like the GT2 is the one to go for, for what I want to use it for .