997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help!! Did I get ripped off??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Help!! Did I get ripped off??

I bought a set of Turbo 1 wheels and tires from ebay on Friday. Everything seemed really good, I talked to the person and he said they were mint, no scratches etc. Well today he calls me and says he meant to tell me that he noticed the previous owner had put a "Clear coat protector" on the wheels and as he was packaging it, some seemed to be flaked off at one point. He said he meant to tell me before he shipped but forgot.
Ok, so the wheels have shipped should arrive in the US (I had them shipped to a forwarding company since I live in Canada) on Friday. He says to look at them and if I don't like them he will refund my money . He will even send me the money to ship them back before I go there.
So, from what he is saying, it is not a paint, but rather a clear film, I guess like 3M.
If it is 3M, can I remove it without screwing up the finish on the wheels? If so how? What if it is some kind of paint?
Returning them is a major hassle. I will have to find a unpackage the wheels, check them, repackage and if I do not want them find a fedex and then send them back. Not to mention the three hour drive across the border!

Last edited by tomb18; 12-12-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Can't really tell what is going on there, but stripping and having wheels redone is not an expensive thing to do (they can do all or part of a wheel). I wouldn't sweat it till you get the wheels.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:35 PM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Ok, Porsche wants 200-250 a wheel...
We'll see.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:53 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
1)- I hope you have all that correspondence in writing or else it could get a little
2)- If you know there's a problem with the item then why buy it unless until you bought them relatively cheaper

Old 12-12-2012, 06:15 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tomb18
Ok, Porsche wants 200-250 a wheel...
We'll see.
2-250 a wheel is a ripoff

Old 12-12-2012, 07:42 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
or a ripodd.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by quick
1)- I hope you have all that correspondence in writing or else it could get a little
2)- If you know there's a problem with the item then why buy it unless until you bought them relatively cheaper
Everything is in writing, and the ebay ad stated if the wheels are not as stated he will refund my money and shipping back.

I did not know there was a problem until two days after he shipped them and then called me ..." by the way, there was some flaking on the coating I noticed when packing them..."

There's no doubt he will refund the money, but I need to determine if I should return them, and unfortunelty, I need to drive 4 hours return to do so.

So is it a film? or clear coat flaking off....

Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by cuemaster
or a ripodd.
Wise Guy...
I tried to change that bit I couldn't...I was pissed!!!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 PM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
Its probably clear coating peeling. I have never heard of applying 3m film on wheels before. I would check them when they get there, get a quote from a wheel refinisher (anywhere from 75-150 per wheel), invoice the seller, get them taken cared!! I think most of wheel refinisher company come to you and finish a wheel in 30-45 min.
My $0.02

Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by aznevoviii
Its probably clear coating peeling. I have never heard of applying 3m film on wheels before. I would check them when they get there, get a quote from a wheel refinisher (anywhere from 75-150 per wheel), invoice the seller, get them taken cared!! I think most of wheel refinisher company come to you and finish a wheel in 30-45 min.
My $0.02
Thanks. I suspect also that it is the clear coat. I think the vendor would pay, he has indicated he would. What's the process? Do they wet sand them first? Only in the area where it is failing?

Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
More than likely, they wet sand the whole wheel and reclear it.

Make sure to check with the vendor.

Good luck

Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by paneraiwatches
2-250 a wheel is a ripoff
So what's the going rate for getting a wheel refinished then

Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like you got tore even. In all honesty though, sounds like you'll come out fine.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Depends on what you paid for the wheels. If you got a great deal than the price of refinishing, which they probably need anyway, won't be so bad but, don't be surprised if some of your wheels are also bent which will require additional $$'s to repair. It is often difficult to determine if a wheel is bent. You have to have them put on a balancer and spun at which pount it is easily seen. Bought a set of used OEM wheels last year and two were bent. Seller made me whole on the repairs which was great but I only found out when the shop where I had the tires mounter pointed it out and said it is very common on the wide rear rims but easily repaired. I doubt the seller knew they were bent as the damage was not visible until they were spun up.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Well, today I braved the freezing rain and drove across the border to pick up my wheels at freeport forwarding. I opened the first wheel (with a witness from freeport) and there it was, clear coat peeling. But worse, the seller was not honest at all. There was a deep grove around 1/4 of the wheel and tons of damage but some monkey that put the tire on.
The wheels were supposed to be mint as per the ad, the pictures, and our conversation. I paid $3500 for them (5000 miles useage nd TPS included from a 2008). I only paid this since the photos showed that they were mint.
However, three days after sending them and before I picked them up, he re-listed the item on ebay. SDame photos and description (money back warrantee with shipping back) but now the tires have 6000 miles on them. Also, as it turns out, the photos that I used to judge the condition were not those of the tires I bought! Very clear.
So he told me to send them back today which I did, but he refused to pay for insurance or a signature. Well, the h**l with that. I paid for this out of my pocket. I also launched a dispute with ebay, to be sure I get my money back and that there is no funny business like not picking them up or signing for them.
All this with someone who has 1400 positive feedbacks and no negative ones.
I've bought big ticket items off ebay before and never had an issue...there's always a first one I guess.
The wheel could not be repaired without major machining, something you dont want at 140 MPH.
If this is not resolved, I will provide his ebay account name.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help!! Did I get ripped off??