997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Head Units on Ebay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 PM
z4met is a name known to allz4met is a name known to allz4met is a name known to allz4met is a name known to allz4met is a name known to allz4met is a name known to all
New Head Units on Ebay

Has anyone with a 2008 997 turbo tried the new headunits that look like the same size as the original in the photo from ebay. Search 2008 997 turbo and you will find them for about $500. They look like a Chinese version of the PCM with a different button layout and a SD card slot.

Thanks for any help.
Z4MET.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by z4met
Has anyone with a 2008 997 turbo tried the new headunits that look like the same size as the original in the photo from ebay. Search 2008 997 turbo and you will find them for about $500. They look like a Chinese version of the PCM with a different button layout and a SD card slot.

Thanks for any help.
Z4MET.
My experience with anything aftermarket is that you get what you pay for.

Do it right the first time or you'll end up doing it twice.

$500 is probably just the start of your headache going that route. Could be wrong, but I wouldn't chance it.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:18 PM
jds686868 is on a distinguished road
I am doing this very install now. Will post an update after a bit more time with the HU.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:58 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
post a link please? I have heard very good reviews about some of the Chinese Andriod based HUs

Old 06-22-2014, 09:05 AM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jds686868
I am doing this very install now. Will post an update after a bit more time with the HU.
subscribed

Old 06-22-2014, 11:34 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Does this unit integrate with the most-bus?

Old 06-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Squat
post a link please? I have heard very good reviews about some of the Chinese Andriod based HUs
from sellers?

Old 06-22-2014, 04:14 PM
jds686868 is on a distinguished road
I plan on doing a review "soon" with pics when I get a bit of time and have had a bit more time using the system. A quick summary as follows:

Quick Review
Car: Porsche 2008 997 turbo (ie 997.1) with the Bose 9.1 Sub woofer system and fibre optic Amp/Nav/CD Stacker.

Purchased here: seicane.com/car-dvd-player-for-porsche-911-997-with-gps-radio-tv-bluetooth-srd-8815

Manufactured by: en.hualingan.com
(Didn’t realise you can buy direct from Hualingan)

The Good:
- fast shipping, was around 3 or 4 days to Australia
- looks factory (in black anyway, and chrome on the buttons)
- has all the features you probably need, although compared to other units a little basic. I haven’t tested the phone/Bluetooth integration yet, or Ipod.
-comes with iGo Navigation software. I have used this in other Chinese HU’s and it works well, at least in Australia. I am not sure if this latest version has lane assist or post code lookup – I will check.
- steering wheel controls work, actually better than the stock setting. (pending phone/Bluetooth testing)
- is “almost” plug and play. See bad points.
- sound quality is very good to my ears when using cd/usb. See radio below in bad.

The Bad:
-the colour is black (the 997.1 fascia is volcano grey, I am in the process of either painting or vinyl wrapping the other center console dash bits ie the air con switch, pasm switch, storage bin)
-install is not quite plug and play. Connectors are provided that plug into the factory loom, however I had to modify the speaker connector (the Bose Amp speaker connector) to correctly align the speakers and the Bose Sub Amp remote power on signal. I had to connect the HU speaker out wires to the speaker loom provided. I suppose they don’t provide a connector on the speaker loom they provide so you can pull it through the firewall. Nothing hard once I figured out the factory speaker wire colours and the Bose Sub part.
-Radio doesn’t seem to have the same signal reception quality. No digital radio – not an issue in Australia as it will be another 5 or 10 years before we start getting digital radio.
-The physical install has needed a bit of a tweak. The locking tabs don’t line up with the factory cage, so had to modify/bend the locking tabs to make it “click” into place.
-UI. Apparently there are 2 UI’s for this unit. When I contacted Hualingan they said they only had the “antique” UI version which Seicane provide. Other web sites “sort of” indicate they sell the other version. I am not particularly happy with the UI (I knew this before I purchased), however I couldn’t get a definitive answer on what the music play screen was for the “other version” and I saw one screen shot on the web some where with a very old 8 character DOS type display screen. For those old enough to remember DOS. 
-No fibre optic output from the unit. This meant I couldn’t use the existing Bose amp that drives the front and rear speakers. The rear parcel shelf subwoofer has its own built-in amp. I found an amp from Jaycar (awesome at $300) that I am using for the front door woofers that is mounted in the factory Bose amp location – with a bit of modification to make fit. I am using the built-in amp for the front/rear mids and tweeters.
-DVB-T I haven't got this to work yet - wasn't expecting it to tbh.

Summary
So far so good. Sound quality I believe is better than stock especially with the dedicated amp for the door woofers. The Bose system really is a disappointment. The HU comes with the features I would have expected it see in the factory unit 10 years ago. As for reliability I have had 2 Chinese HU’s (the full touch screen/GPS/DVD/USB etc etc thing), one is 10 years old, the other is 4. The el cheapo $200 10 year old unit CD has failed, not bad really. The 4 year old Focus XR5/ST HU is still going strong so it will be interesting to see how this one goes. As for the price you can’t complain as you can buy 2 or 3 of these units for the price of an Alpine/Pioneer etc, and I really wanted the “factory” look.
I suspect these are designed for the 997.2 hence the slight differences with speaker pinout, black fascia, and mounting design. May as well try and update the look to 997.2 – hmmmmm.

Future.
Testing in the real world… Speaker upgrades, Woofer and Sub upgrades l

Old 06-22-2014, 10:56 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Well that's interesting. I wonder how well the hands-free works with the built in microphones.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
no from 987 owners. they do a lot of mods

Last edited by Squat; 06-23-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Argo8 is on a distinguished road
it would be possible to set wallpaper and menu
and the screensaver with the logo of porsche?

Last edited by Argo8; 06-24-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Argo8 is on a distinguished road
Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 AM
TT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to behold
Do you lose the features in the center display (below the tach) ?
Arrow navigation, radio name display, etc.

-No fibre optic output from the unit. This meant I couldn’t use the existing Bose amp that drives the front and rear speakers. The rear parcel shelf subwoofer has its own built-in amp. I found an amp from Jaycar (awesome at $300) that I am using for the front door woofers that is mounted in the factory Bose amp location – with a bit of modification to make fit. I am using the built-in amp for the front/rear mids and tweeters.
The website states there is a alternative HU that can connect to the fibre optic amp:

"Alternative:It can connect to fiber amplifier of original car.Please note it if your car has this function"

http://en.hualingan.com/html-en/prod...car+audio.html

Very interested in this HU if no features are lost !

Last edited by TT-911; 06-24-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Dookie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 993S
Do you lose the features in the center display (below the tach) ?
Arrow navigation, radio name display, etc.

The website states there is a alternative HU that can connect to the fibre optic amp:

"Alternative:It can connect to fiber amplifier of original car.Please note it if your car has this function"

http://en.hualingan.com/html-en/prod...car+audio.html

Very interested in this HU if no features are lost !

Interested as well !
Subscribed !

Old 06-24-2014, 03:42 PM
very interesting but I wish someone would just make a screen duplicator. Even if you still have to use your Phone to control it.

Did you see the Mirrorlink box? that looks very interesting.

Last edited by Squat; 06-24-2014 at 03:47 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Head Units on Ebay