997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

IPD plenum on stock 997TT installed=slight boost loss?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 AM
eNVy997tt is just really niceeNVy997tt is just really niceeNVy997tt is just really niceeNVy997tt is just really nice
IPD plenum on stock 997TT installed=slight boost loss?

Finally got springs installed yesterday...thank god! While I was there in conversation about future upgrades the idea of an IPD plenum came up. Just so happened he had one there that came off a previous build that went to the 83mm and GT3tb. While my plan was to get the exhaust figured out first but figured what the hell. Seeing a lot of chatter here about them with positive reviews I bought it and we installed it also.

Result... car seems to be making less boost? According the dash boot gauge, in sport before IPD, I could regularly see 1.2 bar and after the install in sport i am seeing 0.7-1.0 at best. Any thoughts from experts here?

Old 05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Do you have acceleration times? 60-130 or such before/after?
Assuming it is not an install error/boost leak (check for that first).

I ask because the porsche ecu is typically load based, meaning if it can hit load numbers at lower boost due to better flow, it will run less boost. So it could technically be running lower boost and making the same power.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:32 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
There's a leak somewhere.

One would think with 50+ years of flat 6 experience, Porsche would have realized the error of their ways of using the highly restrictive T-plenum and started casting Y shaped plenums.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:59 AM
eNVy997tt is just really niceeNVy997tt is just really niceeNVy997tt is just really niceeNVy997tt is just really nice
I do not have any tech data or times. In my curiosity I did make a call to IPD and talked to the guys there. They were very helpful and more than accommodating. He mentioned that it sounds like an issue with the check valve located on the back of the plenum. From the pics on his site, the one that was on there appeared to be older design and he did say that the have changed. IPD is kindly sending me a new one which he thinks should take care of the issue assuming that the rest of the install is correct. I wish there was a better way to check for boost leaks...

Kudos to IPD for great service and supporting their product. Even though this was purchased used they stepped up. Its likely a very inexpensive part, but regardless they are helping to make it right and that goes a long way in this world. Thanks Mike and Greg for your help

Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Very good customer service, kudos to IPD

Old 05-31-2013, 12:11 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !

Is this the leak they are referring to? (covered by JB Weld)

Old 05-31-2013, 12:27 PM
I like what I see about ensuring that there are no leaks... but the convo with IPD was regarding a failing check valve that would cause the issue that I was describing. The check valve circled here. Without this, or with this failing, it is "pressurizing the crankcase" how that would reduce the boost I am not sure...? Any tech expertise here welcome

Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2013, 12:34 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I guess, prior to taking the plenum out again which is a royal PITA, I'd double check all the clamps to the intercooler hoses and to the plenum first.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:30 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Very good customer service, kudos to IPD
Yes, when you charge ~$1,000 for what basically equates to a throttle body elbow you can afford to send replacements since they only cost about $100 to manufacture .

Old 05-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Better than charging 1200 for the carbon version... lol I do agree though.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Better than charging 1200 for the carbon version... lol I do agree though.
When I look at the Champion carbon fiber plenum I immediately have a picture in my head of it being crushed by t-bolt clamps.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:26 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Datalog requested and actual boost and do a comparison. Boost is a function of both hardware and software. You should get a tune to match your newly installed hardware.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:32 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Did you get a plenum with plastic hose fittings or metal ones? The older ones (since yours is used) had plastic fittings and some of those were known to crack. The one in the photo above has metal fittings. When I received my car (used) it had the smaller plenum w/ plastic fittings. My shop took them out and put in metal ones. I then dumped the whole thing for the 83mm comp plenum/GT3 TB.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:51 PM
Former Vendor
MAXRPM1 has a spectacular aura aboutMAXRPM1 has a spectacular aura aboutMAXRPM1 has a spectacular aura about
I have dealt with Greg from IPD for years, stand up guy and great product

Old 06-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by TTdude
Datalog requested and actual boost and do a comparison. Boost is a function of both hardware and software. You should get a tune to match your newly installed hardware.
Is requested boost in duramatric 6? I have never been able to find it..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IPD plenum on stock 997TT installed=slight boost loss?