997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Official 997 turbo picture thread.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:04 PM
maverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond repute
awesome ride akunob! looking good. now some aftermarket CL's and lowered suspension

Old 03-31-2014, 10:19 PM
isysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m33ufo
I'm with you. 25mm of the height would make a big difference.
Go too low and you'll have issues with speed bumps. I used the TechArt lowering kit to avoid needing a front lifting kit. I don't know how some of the cars on here get by on the road, they are so low. Look great though.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:34 PM
550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by isysman
Go too low and you'll have issues with speed bumps. I used the TechArt lowering kit to avoid needing a front lifting kit. I don't know how some of the cars on here get by on the road, they are so low. Look great though.
isysman, The TechArt lowering kit you're referring to is basically a set of springs or are there other components involved? How much is the front of the car lowered from stock? It's my understanding that the ride actually is improved over stock, which sounds like a great deal all around. I love the look, but am worried about how often I'll have to replace the front lip

Old 03-31-2014, 10:40 PM
isysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond reputeisysman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 550bryan
isysman, The TechArt lowering kit you're referring to is basically a set of springs or are there other components involved? How much is the front of the car lowered from stock? It's my understanding that the ride actually is improved over stock, which sounds like a great deal all around. I love the look, but am worried about how often I'll have to replace the front lip
Yeah should have said TechArt lowering springs not kit. Yes they are springs designed to work with the PASM system. The ride is a little more firm but not much, but reduces much of the roll in the corners and looks great without being an issue getting over things. IN the UK we have a lot of speed bumps so you have to be careful.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by campbellcj
Here are a couple of fresh shots of mine from yesterday, in Decker Canyon, Malibu CA:

Such a beautiful combo with these wheels. Looking good, man!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:36 AM
m33ufo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by isysman
That's the only thing putting me off - well, that and the fact that I already have to go super slow to get out of the drive without the front splitter touching.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:25 AM
maverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 550bryan
How much is the front of the car lowered from stock? I love the look, but am worried about how often I'll have to replace the front lip
I believe Techart springs are made by Eibach with different spring rates. So they should lower just about 20mm on all corners after settling in. Realistically, they lower somewhere between 15mm - 20mm. You get a more aggressive drop with H&R.

The scrape is not an issue, what you mostly will hear is the scraping of the front wheel mudflaps which sits much lower. I'm contemplating going lower

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s33jpx.jpg
Views:	2742
Size:	489.9 KB
ID:	353575  
Old 04-01-2014, 09:48 AM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by maverickdxb
awesome ride akunob! looking good. now some aftermarket CL's and lowered suspension
You're right Mav. My challenge with aftermarket wheels is that the only reason I would have considered going with them would have been to upsize to 20" wheels, however I'm not sure I'm willing to sacrifice ride quality. I'm ok riding on 19"s. From a cosmetic perspective, the stock CL's look a lot like the popular HRE's P40s and others AF wheels so no real incentive to change them for looks only. I haven't seen an AF wheel design that I felt was a "must-have" (over my stock CL) on a black TT. Still looking though ...the carmag article that showed the stock wheels to be better than AF wheels doesn't inspire/push me to change either...

Now lowering is something else, to me this is more involved. I am currently doing a ton of research on springs vs. coilovers etc. The stock .2 suspension system is better than the stock .1 system so I'm not inclined to mess with it, which seems to suggest going the springs route. That said, I want a setup that would at least maintain (or improve) the car's handling characteristics while preserving durability etc, when lowered.

I think there is a lot of information on solving the .1 suspension/lowering question however I haven't seen as much on the .2's (i.e., the consensus best options). most appear to be fine with the stock set-up. My research continues...

Any thoughts, suggestions & leads from members on the optimal street application (lowering and/or suspension set-up) on a .2 TT would be welcome and appreciated.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by akunob
From a cosmetic perspective, the stock CL's look a lot like the popular HRE's P40s and others AF wheels so no real incentive to change them for looks only. I haven't seen an AF wheel design that I felt was a "must-have" (over my stock CL) on a black TT.

Now lowering is something else, to me this is more involved.
yes i agree that the stock CL's are a very good design but the offsets are too conservative. The wheels are tucked into the fender. The problem with CL's is that you can't run spacers.

The 997.2 suspension is better than the .1 from what i read, i'd lower it with springs. If you are lowering, you will need to change your wheels just because of the offset issue. I agree with sticking to 19's, always the best for ride comfort.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:43 PM
The TechArt springs lower the car by about 10mm if your car has PASM. Seeing as all Turbos have it then it will be 10mm. A car without PASM it will drop it about 15mm.

As for CLs not having the width, you just buy 9inch front wheels. My fronts are so wide that I am having to fit the GT2RS wings with extenders on the front as they are currently protruding past the current wing/fender.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM
ronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by campbellcj
Thanks! The Santa Monica mountains are basically my playground. I live in Agoura/Calabasas and work in Santa Monica so my standard commute is Malibu Canyon to PCH; however, there are many alternates. The above pic was a bit of a detour, Mulholland between Malibu Canyon/Las Virgenes and Cornell Rd, but still loops to home without backtracking. This is just east of the Rock Store and Snake section. I can also go over Stunt Road, Piuma, Latigo, Decker, Old Topanga, Tuna, etc...have lived here my whole life so I know the roads pretty well.
Awesome - thanks for the info and those great pictures. I would love to have your commute and I've driven most of the roads you mentioned. I had the mistress 991 Carrera rental for a couple of days in January and spent several hours on those canyon roads (esp Latigo, Stunt, & Piuma) and then over to Angeles Crest for the rest of the day running the whole route! Wow - what a drive! The 991 pic was taken at Point Dume. The photo of the Mrs. was taken here in Tulsa two weekends ago.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0420.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	574.4 KB
ID:	354061   Click image for larger version

Name:	C&G Luis 2 03-22-14 copy.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	354062  
Old 04-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
The Meteor looks awesome!

Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 PM
997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by johnny db
the meteor looks awesome!
+1 :d

Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by maverickdxb
I believe Techart springs are made by Eibach with different spring rates. So they should lower just about 20mm on all corners after settling in. Realistically, they lower somewhere between 15mm - 20mm. You get a more aggressive drop with H&R.

The scrape is not an issue, what you mostly will hear is the scraping of the front wheel mudflaps which sits much lower. I'm contemplating going lower
Car looks amazing! Would love to have that clearance on my car but I wouldn't be able to get it back to my house, too low.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:08 PM
ronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
The Meteor looks awesome!
Originally Posted by 997tt+C63
+1 :d
Thank you, Gents!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Official 997 turbo picture thread.