997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Noisy Ceramic Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Cscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of light
Noisy Ceramic Brakes

I've owned my Turbo S for about year now, and the brakes never made a noise. I put over 10k miles on the car, including driving it from NYC>MIA and back. All of a sudden out of nowhere, the brakes start making tons of noise, like as if a normal car was flat on the wear sensors. So I drop the car off at Porsche. Service consultant takes it for a drive, comes back and says wow they are loud. I get a call a day later and he says they took apart the brakes, cleaned everything out, found nothing abnormal, pads and rotors are both in great shape with no signs of premature wear. He says sometimes these carbon brakes are noisy, and sometimes they aren't. And nothing they can do about it except sell me on a new set of pads and hope they don't squeak. But he recommended not doing that because mine have tons of life left, and he has seen brand new cars and cars that left with brand new brakes sound just like me. He says it is characteristic of the carbon brakes. But I had the car for a full year with no brake noise!!! I just want to know what caused it, and get it back to the way it was. Are the rest of yours noisy as well? Its embarrassing at low speeds. At higher speeds, no noise. Brakes work and feel fine as well at all speed, its just the noise. Any input is appreciated.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:07 PM
otis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to behold
Just changed my ceramic pads on my R8 which has the same problem. Noise is gone. I tried everything. Nothing short than new pass fixed it.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:30 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
It used to bug me and I was a little self conscious about the brake noise in traffic until I noticed something. When the brakes squeaks people look over and very often do a double take, like they are expecting some pos car and instead see a Porsche with massive yellow calipers.

Bring on the squeak.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:37 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
longboarder, lmao.

OP, i remember my 996 turbo S. It was quiet as a mouse until i hit 20k miles, then the squeeeeeeellllllllllllllls came.

If this happens on my 997 turbo with ceramics I'll try changing the pads.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Sladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura about
When my ceramic brakes get loud, it is because they are dirty. When I wash the car, I direct a stream of water in the calipers to flush the debris and dust from around the pads and calipers. It eliminates the squeaking for a good while. Also, direct the stream through all the holes in the rotor to get debris out. You may be surprised by how filthy the water will be.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:24 PM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sladep
When my ceramic brakes get loud, it is because they are dirty. When I wash the car, I direct a stream of water in the calipers to flush the debris and dust from around the pads and calipers. It eliminates the squeaking for a good while. Also, direct the stream through all the holes in the rotor to get debris out. You may be surprised by how filthy the water will be.
I have a 996 TTS and have the PCCB which in the past 3 weeks got really noisy... I used my high powered leaf blower on low setting after washing and cleaning and blew out some debris etc.... now zero noise

Old 05-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wolfhedge
I have a 996 TTS and have the PCCB which in the past 3 weeks got really noisy... I used my high powered leaf blower on low setting after washing and cleaning and blew out some debris etc.... now zero noise
yep, same thing on my 997 TTS, made some noise leaving the dealership but cleaned the car and blew out debris and hit the brakes and it knocked down most of the noise.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Sobrut911 is on a distinguished road
+1 and try driving in reverse for a good distance continually applying the brakes. I have 19K miles on mine and only occasionally do the brakes squeal.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:14 PM
otis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to behold
I tried everything. Washed them. Brake pad anti squeal paste. Adhesive anti vibration pads/backing plates. Beveled the front edge of the pads. Did 20x bed in procedures. Nothing worked until I got new pads and now silence. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
My PCCBs sometimes make a little bit of noise when they are cold, but it isn't often. I just rolled past 40K miles.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:40 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
I took the wheels off and used compressed air to blow all the dirt out of the rotors. I was surprised how much dust came out (I wore a mask). I also did a couple of hard 120mph to 10mph with about 30-45seconds between each to allow the brakes to cool.

The latest P40 pads don't require the anti squeal/vibration dampeners.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:14 AM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
I have some squeal, but when they heat up it goes away...