997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New to the Forum, New to the 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:35 PM
NRoy7 is on a distinguished road
New to the Forum, New to the 997

Hello Everyone!

I just picked my first 997.1 Turbo yesterday and am absolutely in love. I'm not looking to change much just yet, but just had a few basic questions that I didnt find much luck with when searching the forum - I didnt find answers on the DIY forum:

1) LED lights: Interior/Exterior. I have a 2009, any good DIY on replacing the LED turn signal lights outside and inside? Also, which lights did everyone get.

2) Spoiler Options: I like the stock spolier, but I couldnt find a comparison thread of what spoiler options are available. I really like the GT2RS spoiler, but want to see what people prefer/recommend (Techart, etc).

3) XPel: What's the final verdict on XPel? Entire car? None? Just the front? How does it affect the paint quality?

4) Techart WindScoops: I have an Arctic Silver Metallic car. I'd like to have the scoops black. I couldnt find a DIY, and I there arent that many pictures or threads regarding that topic.

Any other recommended starting exterior/interior mods? I'm happy with the drive as it is, but always like small exterior mods.

Also, before I get flamed, if I missed some of the DIY's, I'm truly sorry. I keep get drawn to all of your beautiful cars, and keep on getting distracted.

Thanks again,
Neil

Old 09-16-2015, 10:02 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Congrats. Looks awesome

Old 09-17-2015, 09:31 AM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Nice looking car Neil. Congrats, and welcome to the forum.
Xpel ultimate is great. I had the full front done, and I replaced the rear quarter panel stone guards which had begun to discolor. No problems with the paint.
Lots of discussions here about performance mods. A good exhaust and an ECU tune are basic, but really enhance the driving experience.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Nice car, congrats! What are the options? 6speed or Tip?

Old 09-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Congrats and welcome !

Old 09-17-2015, 11:24 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Great color. If you are looking to change the looks some, get a set of wheels and that alone will do wonders for the looks.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:54 AM
RugRunner is on a distinguished road
Congrats and welcome.

I have LEDs in and out. Not sure what type but it's a DIY-able job and they look great. Interior, rear license plate, boot, etc. You'll like the subtle change.

I like the stock spoiler setup. Once you start changing too many things then you blink and you've got a 911 that looks like its from The Fast and Furious

Exhaust & tune are probably the most common mods and good bang for your buck. Loads of good info available in this forum.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations! Welcome! Xpel is a great product. If you can afford it, doing the whole car is pretty good, otherwise the headlight protection works great as well. If you ever need anything, let me know!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
If you are going the LED route i would recommend getting some LED depo/dectane tail lights. Those and some wheels completely modernize the exterior of the car. I would do the rear led before i would worry about front led if you dont want to change too much or are on a budget.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
Wheels, exhaust, tune, front xpel protection and you have a beast. Nice car

Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the great feedback!

I got a Tiptronic w/sport chrono. It's fairly bare except the illuminated door sills, heated/vented seats, GPS/Bluetooth. I love it.

Xpel: I'll definitely get the front done, are you guys also doing the entire back quarter panels or just the strip where porsche puts it originally?

LED's: I'll get the interiors just because I prefer the white over the yellow. Regarding the Tails - which LED Depo/Dectane lights is everyone getting? Any pictures by chance?

I was looking at some of the pictures - has anyone painted their side skirts? What about the GT2RS front trunk air scoop? Any thoughts on the GT2RS front lip?

I'll definitely be doing a tune after a few track days stock.

Thanks again for the great info!

Old 09-18-2015, 07:18 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Nice car!

I've got clear bra on the entire front end of my car. This includes the bumper cover, hood, front fenders and rearview mirrors. This seems to be enough protection.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Nice car! I've got clear bra on the entire front end of my car. This includes the bumper cover, hood, front fenders and rearview mirrors. This seems to be enough protection.
Does the paint look different between the wrapped areas and the unwrapped areas? I have my stock flare guard on the back quarter panels and it definitely is noticeably different.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:07 PM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NRoy7
Does the paint look different between the wrapped areas and the unwrapped areas? I have my stock flare guard on the back quarter panels and it definitely is noticeably different.
It sounds like you have the same problem with your rear quarter splash/stone guards that I had - discoloration. You can replace them with NOS or use a new product. The XPEL does not seem to discolor and I had the XPEL installer do my quarter panel guards when he did the full front. You can't really tell that the XPEL is there until you get real close - I mean like 6 inches; but there is no color change.

Last edited by kwiksilver; 09-18-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NRoy7
It doesn't look different. You can't tell the clear bra is there unless you really look.